...The trumpet sounded and the fifth seal was opened...

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: ...The trumpet sounded and the fifth seal was opened...

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 7:48pm
Weird times as of late. I'm finding myself become a middle aged dad of kids growing up way too quickly. My son (13) is hanging out in his room, plugged into his phone. My daughter (10) has 2 friends over for a sleepover. It's wonderful on one hand - the house feels alive and happy, but I also feel kind of redundant - left to my own devices of drinking a few beers and chatting with my Clash friends. I'm not complaining at all, but it takes some getting used to.
Sounds like you've got it all figured out, to me :cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

WestwayKid wrote:
Weird times as of late. I'm finding myself become a middle aged dad of kids growing up way too quickly. My son (13) is hanging out in his room, plugged into his phone. My daughter (10) has 2 friends over for a sleepover. It's wonderful on one hand - the house feels alive and happy, but I also feel kind of redundant - left to my own devices of drinking a few beers and chatting with my Clash friends. I'm not complaining at all, but it takes some getting used to.
Hello,

What really takes getting used to is when they grow up and set out on their own - it's enjoyable in a different way, watching the young one fly on their own.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
It's really hard. VH, Jr. is super independent and normal compared to how I was when I was his age. He's also pretty much embarrassed by everything I do. I always think about how he used to run up and hug me and those days are over. It's hard. But it's also really cool to see him growing up. It definitely takes getting used to.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 11:24am
WestwayKid wrote:
It's really hard. VH, Jr. is super independent and normal compared to how I was when I was his age. He's also pretty much embarrassed by everything I do. I always think about how he used to run up and hug me and those days are over. It's hard. But it's also really cool to see him growing up. It definitely takes getting used to.
Is this something that only boys do? There wasn't any affection in my house, so I don't have any experience to go by. I'm just curious.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 11:42am
JennyB wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Is this something that only boys do? There wasn't any affection in my house, so I don't have any experience to go by. I'm just curious.
I don't think so. My niece used to hug me like that too. She's 21 now, so well over it. But it was really sweet.

I'm so sorry there wasn't affection in your house. My mom wasn't affectionate, either. My dad was though. It scars people. My mom's affection was buying me clothes if she thought I looked skinny enough.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 12:01pm
Mimi wrote:
JennyB wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I don't think so. My niece used to hug me like that too. She's 21 now, so well over it. But it was really sweet.

I'm so sorry there wasn't affection in your house. My mom wasn't affectionate, either. My dad was though. It scars people. My mom's affection was buying me clothes if she thought I looked skinny enough.
:scared: My god, that's awful. We deserve hugs, dammit!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 12:09pm
JennyB wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 12:01pm
Mimi wrote:
JennyB wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

:scared: My god, that's awful. We deserve hugs, dammit!
I still can't eat anything "bad" in front of her at age 51. It's not worth the hassle. She can be a great mom in other ways, but this is always hanging over things.

Sending hugs your way!
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It's funny that you're talking about hugs. One of punk student zines was an essay on narrow, traditional masculinity and how it hurts boys growing up. The student mentioned their dad's aversion to hugs because that's not what guys do, especially with other guys, so they're pursuing that as a way of being more open emotionally. In my comments, I mentioned that that was the household I grew up in, and I'm still mostly averse to hugs. Worse, my nephew knows this and insists on hugging me all the time to make me uncomfortable. (Such a little prick …)
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Sounds like I gotta add "bear hug doctor medulla" to the 'ol bucket list.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Flex wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 12:53pm
Right?!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Every day, in every way, you all demonstrate how much you hate me.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 1:05pm
Flex wrote:
We're just glad you notice the effort.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 3:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
It all goes in my revenge book.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

drugs not hugs!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 4:02pm
revbob wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 3:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
It all goes in my revenge book.
I would hug the fuck outta that book!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia