Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
14 May 2017, 9:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 May 2017, 7:53am
I dl'd the first couple episodes this morning and will likely watch later today.
I enjoyed the first episode. I'll keep watching but I'll be watching alone I think, my wife and baseball don't mix well. I'm not sure a person without an appreciation for baseball would enjoy it.
Yeah, it's a baseball fan show. The first two episodes are funny, definitely, tho it's rather disjointed. On the one hand, it's black humour, this fuck up trying to exist in a town that's trying to exist. But it's also absurdist, from his play-by-play of his own life to the freaky sex (and the mix of the two) and the residents of the town. The former says we should relate to the guy somehow, the latter says we can sit back and enjoy how bizarre and unreal it is. I'll dl some more episodes, but the thing is jarring.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 May 2017, 6:36pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I dl'd the first couple episodes this morning and will likely watch later today.
I enjoyed the first episode. I'll keep watching but I'll be watching alone I think, my wife and baseball don't mix well. I'm not sure a person without an appreciation for baseball would enjoy it.
Yeah, it's a baseball fan show. The first two episodes are funny, definitely, tho it's rather disjointed. On the one hand, it's black humour, this fuck up trying to exist in a town that's trying to exist. But it's also absurdist, from his play-by-play of his own life to the freaky sex (and the mix of the two) and the residents of the town. The former says we should relate to the guy somehow, the latter says we can sit back and enjoy how bizarre and unreal it is. I'll dl some more episodes, but the thing is jarring.
I'd heard an interview with Azaria the other day which is how I got hip to it. Anyway he was saying as a kid he woukd sometimes narrate his own life a la Brockmire. Don't know if you can access this behind the Canadian Curtain.
http://www.npr.org/2017/05/13/52815770 ... for-years

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
14 May 2017, 6:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'd heard an interview with Azaria the other day which is how I got hip to it. Anyway he was saying as a kid he woukd sometimes narrate his own life a la Brockmire. Don't know if you can access this behind the Canadian Curtain.
I read the text bits. What's funny about the generic 70s announcer voice is how much Brockmire's voice is a parody of Scully. Dark side Scully, for sure, but Scully's mannerisms and pauses and easy-going delivery. Very weird that HA would narrate his own life, but maybe that's more in line with being an actor—that ability to exist outside yourself.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 May 2017, 7:43pm
revbob wrote:
14 May 2017, 6:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I read the text bits. What's funny about the generic 70s announcer voice is how much Brockmire's voice is a parody of Scully. Dark side Scully, for sure, but Scully's mannerisms and pauses and easy-going delivery. Very weird that HA would narrate his own life, but maybe that's more in line with being an actor—that ability to exist outside yourself.
Definitely heavy on the Vin Scully, I also hear some Ralph Kiner in there too.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Aquarius is back!! Love that show I am up to second half of second season. David Duchovny is great.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I had a weird curiosity about this the other day—don't judge me! Okay, fine, judge a little—and downloaded some really muddy rips. Oh my, but it is flat. Hard to believe, but it desperately needs Hawkeye mugging for the camera while pontificating about the senselessness of war.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Netflix's GLOW is great, you don't have to like wrestling.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

tepista wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 5:03pm
Please tell me Mt. Fuji is on the show. (It's next on my list).
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

JennyB wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 5:04pm
tepista wrote:
Mr. Fuji? I believe he died several years ago.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 4:47pm

I had a weird curiosity about this the other day—don't judge me! Okay, fine, judge a little—and downloaded some really muddy rips. Oh my, but it is flat. Hard to believe, but it desperately needs Hawkeye mugging for the camera while pontificating about the senselessness of war.
Wait was the time line even right for that?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 9:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Not sure what you mean. If it's the poster, as I understand it, AfterMASH went up against the A Team and believed it was gonna crush 'em. It oh-so didn't.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 6:16am
revbob wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 9:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Not sure what you mean. If it's the poster, as I understand it, AfterMASH went up against the A Team and believed it was gonna crush 'em. It oh-so didn't.
Oh as in ratings. I zoomed in on the pic and saw the NBC logo on Mr T. I initially thought it was an actual cross over episode to try and promote after MASH. I never watched after Mash because the regular show had become so awful. People only watched out of habit or poor taste those last several years and I imagine some audience carried over for the same reason.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 6:21am
I never watched after Mash because the regular show had become so awful. People only watched out of habit or poor taste those last several years and I imagine some audience carried over for the same reason.
I don't disagree with your general point, but in the last several years I've been watching reruns over noon hour and found more than a few of the post-funny (post-Blake or perhaps post-Burns) ones have genuine merit. Most of those deal with Winchester demonstrating some humanity. Certainly not enough to justify eleven or twelve seasons, but not all sanctimonious schlock.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

I've been watching Sons of Anarchy on the Audience channel (a friend kept telling me how great the series is) and imo the first 3 or 4 seasons were really good.
Its gradually gone downhill from there. I think the final season seven episode airs this Tuesday.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

tepista wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 6:56pm
JennyB wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 5:04pm
tepista wrote:
Mr. Fuji? I believe he died several years ago.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy