Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 8:37pm
The boss and I attempted to watch the relaunched Roseanne. It … was like a parody of an inane sitcom. If it's some kind of meta commentary about sitcoms, kudos. But if it's actually a straight-up haha sitcom, holy fuck but it's bad.
Rosanne was often kind of meta about itself, so that's a possibility, but I don't know if they meant to go down that road that conceptually with the new one.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 4:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The boss and I attempted to watch the relaunched Roseanne. It … was like a parody of an inane sitcom. If it's some kind of meta commentary about sitcoms, kudos. But if it's actually a straight-up haha sitcom, holy fuck but it's bad.
Rosanne was often kind of meta about itself, so that's a possibility, but I don't know if they meant to go down that road that conceptually with the new one.
A few reviews that I read this morning were stunningly positive, but we both found the humour to be Big Bang Theory awful. Zero spark to any of it.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 4:43pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
A few reviews that I read this morning were stunningly positive, but we both found the humour to be Big Bang Theory awful. Zero spark to any of it.
Well people seem to frickin' love the Bang, so I guess that explains the reviews...
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Youll find the reviews for big bang theory are stunningly obvious as well. But also was the first run of Roseanne that good either?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

revbob wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 5:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Youll find the reviews for big bang theory are stunningly obvious as well. But also was the first run of Roseanne that good either?
I watched a few eps of the first season of Roseanne, just before the reboot was announced, actually, and I found that time has not been kind to it. Every punchline was telegraphed. I found the Dick Van Dyke show to be more watchable.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 5:16pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I watched a few eps of the first season of Roseanne, just before the reboot was announced, actually, and I found that time has not been kind to it. Every punchline was telegraphed. I found the Dick Van Dyke show to be more watchable.
and it contains Dick Van Dyke.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The first season of Roseanne was pretty rough, but by the middle of its run it was solid. That last season went completely bugfuck, tho. Still, it's probably important to appreciate that she was always the weakest part of the show. It succeeded by the strength of its supporting cast.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 5:19pm
Silent Majority wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

The first season of Roseanne was pretty rough, but by the middle of its run it was solid. That last season went completely bugfuck, tho. Still, it's probably important to appreciate that she was always the weakest part of the show. It succeeded by the strength of its supporting cast.
Had a huge crush on her brunette daughter when I was a kid.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 5:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Sara Gilbert? She played a pretty good moody teenager, depressed for seemingly no reason.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 5:23pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
revbob wrote:

Sara Gilbert? She played a pretty good moody teenager, depressed for seemingly no reason.
Hah, a kid'll mistake that for deep at the drop of a hat.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 5:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Hah, a kid'll mistake that for deep at the drop of a hat.
I thought the show did a good job with that by basically dragging it across an entire season rather than just have her feel happy again after a couple episodes. Some kids are just miserable little fuckers for no discernible reason (see: Medulla, pre-Dr., 1982–1989?).

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
revbob wrote:

Well she was dating that dick bag from big bang theory right?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 7:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Well she was dating that dick bag from big bang theory right?
On the show, anyway. I didn't mind him on Roseanne—wimpy/nerdy, but sympathetically so. Like the anti-Flex.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I only ever caught snippets of the show while in mixed company. I didnt find most of the characters to be sympathetic. It seemed like a standard sitcom formula.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 7:55pm
I only ever caught snippets of the show while in mixed company. I didnt find most of the characters to be sympathetic. It seemed like a standard sitcom formula.
It stood out as a bit of a throwback to 70s sitcoms that were premised on working-class characters. By the 90s, sitcoms pretty much wrote out the working class and working class struggle from the acceptable narrative (e.g., Friends, Seinfeld). The idea of characters who couldn't pay the bills during the booming 90s was pretty notable. But the show didn't also paint the working class in any idealized manner—violence, drunkenness, and abuse were all part of the palette. Flawed but ultimately decent characters. If the humour didn't work, that's fine—ymmv and all that—but the premise of the show was distinct in a decade where the working class all but vanished from popular discourse.