Boston Is a Land Of Whimsy

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Re: Boston Is a Land Of Whimsy

Post by Rat Patrol »

tepista wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
tepista wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:http://www.boston.com/culture/entertain ... references

There are 5 threads I could post this to.

I usually dont watch Simpsons but I watched that. Is candlestick bowlling a real thing? My wife and I thought they made it up.
Candlepin is totally a Boston phenomenon. Used to be a staple of Sunday morning local TV for dads to sneak in a couple beers before Church. The weekly telecasts lasted through the early-aughts until too much of their core audience was dead of lung cancer to draw enough ratings to cover costs.

You east coasters have so many things that are foreign to me, like shit squirting dogs, and cats with broken dicks (according to hooks).
It's big in the Canadian Maritimes too. Sometimes it's called "duckpin" bowling...that's what it always went by in Connecticut. There used to be an alley about a mile from my house in CT. I played all the time as a kid until the owner arsoned the place for the insurance payout. It's pretty fun...same general game just different throwing style because of the smaller ball gripped by palm instead of finger holes. As a weekend afternoon out taking the piss with friends it's pretty interchangeable with ten-pin in ambiance. Easier for young kids and older ladies to get into because the ball's a lot less cumbersome to roll with decent power. I don't know what the eternal appeal is for mustacioed sex offenders from Saugus, though. :twitch:

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Where is bumper pool popular? I played it once in 1989 in Colorado.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Silent Majority wrote:
revbob wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
revbob wrote:
Silent Majority wrote: Any laughs?
I watched it but didn't pay much attention to it. The best part seems to be captured in that pic with the book homer has. And I guess the Pats, Brady, Belichek and Gronk references were pretty good too.
A single laugh from the Simpsons in 2016 is blood from a well-squeezed stone.
The laughs would likely be lost on you though as they were references to the Pats (American Football team from Boston ).
Are any of the players in the Dropkick Murphys?
You'd be excused to think so based on how DKM are constantly name dropping/identifying with the various Boston sports teams.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:
tepista wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
tepista wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:http://www.boston.com/culture/entertain ... references

There are 5 threads I could post this to.

I usually dont watch Simpsons but I watched that. Is candlestick bowlling a real thing? My wife and I thought they made it up.
Candlepin is totally a Boston phenomenon. Used to be a staple of Sunday morning local TV for dads to sneak in a couple beers before Church. The weekly telecasts lasted through the early-aughts until too much of their core audience was dead of lung cancer to draw enough ratings to cover costs.

You east coasters have so many things that are foreign to me, like shit squirting dogs, and cats with broken dicks (according to hooks).
It's big in the Canadian Maritimes too. Sometimes it's called "duckpin" bowling...that's what it always went by in Connecticut. There used to be an alley about a mile from my house in CT. I played all the time as a kid until the owner arsoned the place for the insurance payout. It's pretty fun...same general game just different throwing style because of the smaller ball gripped by palm instead of finger holes. As a weekend afternoon out taking the piss with friends it's pretty interchangeable with ten-pin in ambiance. Easier for young kids and older ladies to get into because the ball's a lot less cumbersome to roll with decent power. I don't know what the eternal appeal is for mustacioed sex offenders from Saugus, though. :twitch:
Most bowling in Saskatchewan is five-pin, small ball. It encourages a more violent throwing motion, but overall proper ten-pin bowling is a lot more fun.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

matedog wrote:Where is bumper pool popular? I played it once in 1989 in Colorado.
I played table-top shuffleboard at a bar in Texas once.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
tepista wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
tepista wrote: I usually dont watch Simpsons but I watched that. Is candlestick bowlling a real thing? My wife and I thought they made it up.

Most bowling in Saskatchewan is five-pin, small ball. It encourages a more violent throwing motion, but overall proper ten-pin bowling is a lot more fun.
God...even your bowling only has three downs. :ohboy:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
matedog wrote:Where is bumper pool popular? I played it once in 1989 in Colorado.
That exists in every bar in rural Saskatchewan. As long as you're willing to complain about how Indians are lazy and ripping off white people, there's no charge.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
tepista wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:

It gives our old people something to do when curling season ends.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Rat Patrol wrote:
ha!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
That exists in every bar in rural Saskatchewan. As long as you're willing to complain about how Indians are lazy and ripping off white people, there's no charge.
I've seen it at a few bars in SF and even Sacramento now that I think about it. Not just hipster bars too. Not common, but I've seen it multiple times.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

http://www.universalhub.com/2016/nobody ... somerville

Begun the "Roadrunner" vs. "Dream On" wars have. :!:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:http://www.universalhub.com/2016/nobody ... somerville

Obviously the elites are ready to stomp on Schilling's freedom fighters.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Rat Patrol wrote:http://www.universalhub.com/2016/nobody ... somerville

Least surprising takeaway from this blurb - the existence of Sullivan Square.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Hmm...Duke's getting a little too old to be running the sanitation dept. by his lonesome. :meh:

https://twitter.com/jandev/status/807628701802184704

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Rat Patrol wrote:Hmm...Duke's getting a little too old to be running the sanitation dept. by his lonesome. :meh:

https://twitter.com/jandev/status/807628701802184704
Emerald Necklace? That sounds dirty.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy