Politics and other such topical creams.
Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Future of the Democratic Party

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 7:32am
https://splinternews.com/dianne-feinste ... 1832833216

The mark of the Democrat: That's nice, but we can't do that.
On the plus side, two new DK's fans were just minted. :shifty:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Rat Patrol wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 9:57am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Actual quote :

“Well, you didn’t vote for me,” Feinstein replied"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 9:11am
Rat Patrol wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 9:57am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Actual quote :

“Well, you didn’t vote for me,” Feinstein replied"
Term limits?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

I agree that many Dems today like to talk about lofty goals - but then lack the will or desire to actually follow through...but I think there was a time where they actually did aim high and then actually do their best to follow through and I hope we can get back to that point.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

300px-Thure_de_Thulstrup_-_L._Prang_and_Co._-_Battle_of_Gettysburg_-_Restoration_by_Adam_Cuerden_(cropped).jpg
300px-Thure_de_Thulstrup_-_L._Prang_and_Co._-_Battle_of_Gettysburg_-_Restoration_by_Adam_Cuerden_(cropped).jpg (29.26 KiB) Viewed 3036 times
WestwayKid wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 11:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I agree that many Dems today like to talk about lofty goals - but then lack the will or desire to actually follow through...but I think there was a time where they actually did aim high and then actually do their best to follow through and I hope we can get back to that point.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Silent Majority wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 12:24pm
300px-Thure_de_Thulstrup_-_L._Prang_and_Co._-_Battle_of_Gettysburg_-_Restoration_by_Adam_Cuerden_(cropped).jpg
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Without being too cynical about his motives - LBJ pushed through his civil rights agenda at a big (known) political price for Democrats. I wouldn't mind seeing that type of political backbone these days.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

WestwayKid wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 1:27pm
Silent Majority wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Without being too cynical about his motives - LBJ pushed through his civil rights agenda at a big (known) political price for Democrats. I wouldn't mind seeing that type of political backbone these days.
Very difficult to argue with the bulk of LBJ's domestic agenda. Love seeing an absolute ruthless arsehole on the side of the angels. Overseas, of course...

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Silent Majority wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 1:35pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Very difficult to argue with the bulk of LBJ's domestic agenda. Love seeing an absolute ruthless arsehole on the side of the angels. Overseas, of course...
He's a beloved figure in my family.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

WestwayKid wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 1:39pm
Silent Majority wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Fascinating, compelling dude, man. Caro's still unfinished bio of him is one of my favourite ever reading experiences of my life. And I don't disagree with your opinion that the post-McGovern turning away from FDR's New Deal is what fucked the Democratic Party from whatever limited use it may have had in the 20th century.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 1:51pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Fascinating, compelling dude, man. Caro's still unfinished bio of him is one of my favourite ever reading experiences of my life. And I don't disagree with your opinion that the post-McGovern turning away from FDR's New Deal is what fucked the Democratic Party from whatever limited use it may have had in the 20th century.
One of the greatest natural politicians in American history. His skills were undeniable, but he was such an insecure, needy bastard, which is partly how he got rooked into Vietnam. The last Democrat of significance who genuinely thought big.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 2:48pm
Silent Majority wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

He had a giant cock too! He'd show you if given the chance and calling it Jumbo.

One of the greatest natural politicians in American history. His skills were undeniable, but he was such an insecure, needy bastard, which is partly how he got rooked into Vietnam. The last Democrat of significance who genuinely thought big.
He had a giant cock too! He'd show you if given the chance and called it Jumbo.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 12:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 2:48pm
Silent Majority wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

He had a giant cock too! He'd show you if given the chance and calling it Jumbo.

That must have been another thing that drove him nuts about JFK, that he got so many women with, as I understand it, nothing special at all.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 7:33am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 12:40am

That must have been another thing that drove him nuts about JFK, that he got so many women with, as I understand it, nothing special at all.
[/quote]

I used to work with this old Mainer who would tell this story about so.e dude in the LBJ administration who like to swim in the nude and LBJ would say the guy was "trolling for corksuckers". I forget where he got his info from but I worked with this guy for like 15 years or more and I heard that story/anecdote at least a dozen times.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 8:19am
I used to work with this old Mainer who would tell this story about so.e dude in the LBJ administration who like to swim in the nude and LBJ would say the guy was "trolling for corksuckers". I forget where he got his info from but I worked with this guy for like 15 years or more and I heard that story/anecdote at least a dozen times.
I could see that being LBJ himself.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

On Inauguration Day (January 20, 1969), Johnson saw Nixon sworn in, then got on the plane to fly back to Texas. When the front door of the plane closed, Johnson pulled out a cigarette—his first cigarette he had smoked since his heart attack in 1955. One of his daughters pulled it out of his mouth and said, "Daddy, what are you doing? You're going to kill yourself." He took it back and said, "I've now raised you girls. I've now been President. Now it's my time!" From that point on, he went into a very self-destructive spiral - Historian Michael Beschloss