Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 3:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 9:00am
Silent Majority wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 8:16am
Mueller seems to be not fucking around, I'm happy to see.
Are you referring to Cohen being instructed to lie to Congress or something else?

From a macro perspective, it is fascinating to see how Mueller's team goes about its business in a self-created bubble, ignoring the spectacle of media and politics around them, while everyone else, Trump people and pundits on all sides, squawk away. That kind of cold discipline stands out so much in our short-attention-span, cut-corners environment.
I was just thinking about this and it is fascinating - that Mueller and his team are quietly and diligently working away while this storm is raging around them. That "kind of cold discipline" should be scaring the hell out of Trump right now.
There's undoubtedly a problem (for Trump) that he plays the game as: rules can be overcome by public manipulation. Tweet and yell and the media will help undermine your opposition. The world, as he sees it, is entirely about perception. I am a rich genius as long as people regard me as such. Quite postmodern in his own way. Mueller is more modernist—structures, systems, deliberateness will generate truth; everything else is noise and irrational.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I'm feeling cautiously hopeful that there is something to the BuzzFeed story. It would be a smoking gun if true. BuzzFeed is staking a lot (obviously) on this story being true as I'd have to think if it fell apart - it would take them down with it. It's not surprising that Trump and Rudy are going after Cohen and attacking his credibility. Cohen isn't exactly a stand up guy - but it's interesting that it wasn't apparently Cohen who came to Mueller with the story - Mueller and his team came upon this revelation on their own and apparently have other witness, emails, text messages, and documents to support it. They then called in Cohen to confirm what they already suspected/knew. THAT should be very troubling for Trump.

The pace of the investigation is sometimes maddening...but then I remind myself that I'd rather have Mueller be slow and methodical than quick and sloppy.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 3:48pm
I'm feeling cautiously hopeful that there is something to the BuzzFeed story. It would be a smoking gun if true. BuzzFeed is staking a lot (obviously) on this story being true as I'd have to think if it fell apart - it would take them down with it. It's not surprising that Trump and Rudy are going after Cohen and attacking his credibility. Cohen isn't exactly a stand up guy - but it's interesting that it wasn't apparently Cohen who came to Mueller with the story - Mueller and his team came upon this revelation on their own and apparently have other witness, emails, text messages, and documents to support it. They then called in Cohen to confirm what they already suspected/knew. THAT should be very troubling for Trump.

The pace of the investigation is sometimes maddening...but then I remind myself that I'd rather have Mueller be slow and methodical than quick and sloppy.
If it has any grit to it, it's less what Cohen has to say than, yeah, the witnesses and documentation to demonstrate it's not a he said/he said thing. Including, intriguingly, that Cohen had a habit of recording his phone calls.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 4:02pm
WestwayKid wrote:

If it has any grit to it, it's less what Cohen has to say than, yeah, the witnesses and documentation to demonstrate it's not a he said/he said thing. Including, intriguingly, that Cohen had a habit of recording his phone calls.
COHEN BUGGED HIMSELF
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 4:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 4:02pm
WestwayKid wrote:

COHEN BUGGED HIMSELF
Solid move, son.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

What's worse Trump staying on or Pence taking over?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 9:19pm
I'd prefer Pence for being more conventional in terms of governance, being politically wounded by Trump's demise (few Republicans will avoid the fallout), and being so fucking bland that he's unlikely to inspire even the Trump crazies. Trump's basic incompetence and grifter mentality is bad enough to make Pence preferable.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

revbob wrote:
Pence has no chance for election.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 9:47pm
revbob wrote:
All you’ve got to do is find ref boy Pence raped. He’s out there for sure.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 9:51pm
Silent Majority wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 9:47pm
revbob wrote:
All you’ve got to do is find ref boy Pence raped. He’s out there for sure.
Raped? No, no. He brought that boy to Jesus.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
Trump staying. Pence may have some strange ideas/ways, but at least he's not a loose cannon with an IQ of an idiot. He still scares me, but I'd take him any day over that fucktard.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Last fall, Beaneater, because he has an unrequited crush on me, signed me up on some kind of Trump email list. I received only one email last fall leading up to the midterms. I've received four emails asking for money and in the last four days. Can't help but think there's a panic going on.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 5:35pm
Last fall, Beaneater, because he has an unrequited crush on me, signed me up on some kind of Trump email list. I received only one email last fall leading up to the midterms. I've received four emails asking for money and in the last four days. Can't help but think there's a panic going on.
Yeah once you give they don't let up.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

The exchange between CardiB and Tommy Lauren or whateverthefuck her name is is priceless.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 7:21pm
The exchange between CardiB and Tommy Lauren or whateverthefuck her name is is priceless.

That blonde Nazi is clearly oblivious to Eva Braun's fate.