Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

"While I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, that I am not under investigation, I nevertheless concur with the judgment of the Department of Justice that you are not able to effectively lead the Bureau," Trump wrote.

What the hell does that mean?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

matedog wrote:
09 May 2017, 6:18pm
"While I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, that I am not under investigation, I nevertheless concur with the judgment of the Department of Justice that you are not able to effectively lead the Bureau," Trump wrote.

What the hell does that mean?
Ooooh, he's saying "I'm not firing you because you are or I think you are investigating me. "
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm sure FBI Director Melania Trump will restore integrity to the department.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

My wife is convinced that we will see Marshall Law within the next 4 years and the possible dissolution of Congress should the Dems manage to take control of the house and/or Senate. I wish I could tell her she's being alarmist.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 May 2017, 8:16pm
My wife is convinced that we will see Marshall Law within the next 4 years and the possible dissolution of Congress should the Dems manage to take control of the house and/or Senate. I wish I could tell her she's being alarmist.
Historian Timothy Snyder, who's written a couple books on Hitler, has said that a coup attempt is inevitable—a Reichstag fire kind of scenario. It's rather dubious that a historian would say an extraordinary event is inevitable, but at the same time it doesn't seem far-fetched. My chief objection to that kind of prediction is that Trump is too much of a gut-reaction kind of nitwit and a coup involves a bit more forethought, more planning. That's not to say it's impossible to occur, but that I don't think Trump is devious enough to arrange something like that.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2017, 8:40pm
revbob wrote:
Historian Timothy Snyder, who's written a couple books on Hitler, has said that a coup attempt is inevitable—a Reichstag fire kind of scenario. It's rather dubious that a historian would say an extraordinary event is inevitable, but at the same time it doesn't seem far-fetched. My chief objection to that kind of prediction is that Trump is too much of a gut-reaction kind of nitwit and a coup involves a bit more forethought, more planning. That's not to say it's impossible to occur, but that I don't think Trump is devious enough to arrange something like that.
I tend to agree with what you say about Trump but at the same time he is surrounding himself with people who undoubtedly are devious enough. He still owes Ghouliani a seat at the table. I could see Trump appointing him head of the fbi.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 May 2017, 9:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I tend to agree with what you say about Trump but at the same time he is surrounding himself with people who undoubtedly are devious enough. He still owes Ghouliani a seat at the table. I could see Trump appointing him head of the fbi.
Rudy makes some sense, but doesn't he have foreign lobbying skeletons that precluded him from previous appointments? (At least that was the rumour.)

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2017, 9:27pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Rudy makes some sense, but doesn't he have foreign lobbying skeletons that precluded him from previous appointments? (At least that was the rumour.)
I hadn't heard that about him but that would make sense as to why he hasn't been given an appointment of some sort yet. I really hope it doesn't happen he's a truly horrible person.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2017, 7:05pm
I'm sure FBI Director Melania Trump will restore integrity to the department.

My joke would have been Gary Busey.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

revbob wrote:
09 May 2017, 9:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2017, 9:27pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I hadn't heard that about him but that would make sense as to why he hasn't been given an appointment of some sort yet. I really hope it doesn't happen he's a truly horrible person.
The bastard also has dementia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Is he better or worse with Nixon's brains?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
11 May 2017, 10:36am
Is he better or worse with Nixon's brains?
Intriguing question. On the one hand, it would seem we're better off with the fact that Trump is more bumbler than schemer. But that also makes him more unpredictable, given that he's reacting to external events than orchestrating them to his own purpose. Nixon was smart and sinister but predictable and so, in his own way, someone who could be reasoned with because he was thinking about the next move or contingency. I'd say Trump with Nixon's brain is more dangerous because Nixon was checked with a lot of inhibition and self-doubt, which Trump refuses to allow himself.