The Political Gun Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Political Gun Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 26 Dec 2018, 2:19pm

https://splinternews.com/millions-of-ki ... 1831321991

This is why I believe the US is headed towards gun control over the next several decades. Generally, adults seek to correct for their own children what they found problematic in their own childhood—too much security, too much freedom, too much materialism, too much religion, etc—and taking steps to make childhood less about expecting a lunatic with a gun coming into one's school will be significant cultural and, accordingly, policy shift.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

WestwayKid
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by WestwayKid » 27 Dec 2018, 9:10am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Dec 2018, 2:19pm

This is why I believe the US is headed towards gun control over the next several decades. Generally, adults seek to correct for their own children what they found problematic in their own childhood—too much security, too much freedom, too much materialism, too much religion, etc—and taking steps to make childhood less about expecting a lunatic with a gun coming into one's school will be significant cultural and, accordingly, policy shift.
I agree...but sadly it doesn't seem like it will happen soon enough. I have to kids in a public elementary school in the suburbs of Milwaukee. The same school district I attended as a kid. I personally don't lose sleep over the thought of a lunatic with a gun visiting their classroom. There is some willful ignorance involved: it won't happen here, they have made the schools safer, and so on. I do wonder, however, what impact it has on children: school locking down at the slightest perceived threat (this has happened to my kids on more than one occasion), drills to protect themselves if there actually is an active shooter, etc. Do they notice or do they just accept that this is how it has always been?
"If they believed in a place called Kokomo, then so did I." - Michael Edward Love

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 27 Dec 2018, 9:31am

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Dec 2018, 9:10am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Dec 2018, 2:19pm

I agree...but sadly it doesn't seem like it will happen soon enough. I have to kids in a public elementary school in the suburbs of Milwaukee. The same school district I attended as a kid. I personally don't lose sleep over the thought of a lunatic with a gun visiting their classroom. There is some willful ignorance involved: it won't happen here, they have made the schools safer, and so on. I do wonder, however, what impact it has on children: school locking down at the slightest perceived threat (this has happened to my kids on more than one occasion), drills to protect themselves if there actually is an active shooter, etc. Do they notice or do they just accept that this is how it has always been?
It could become something ingrained as normal except that it runs counter with other cultural programming, which is that childhood is about innocence and joy and being carefree. So it's mixed messages but the latter is a lot more prevalent because it's tied to consumption. Consumer culture, with its promise of happiness through hedonism, has compromised a number of cultural conservative efforts from fulling succeeding, from hard right Christian morality to gun culture paranoia. Eliminate the consumer culture angle and then the paranoid authoritarian stuff has a better chance of taking hold.
Endut! Hoch Hech!