No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Silent Majority »

It's so fucking odd to have someone be a consistently brilliant comedian and be so visibly thick.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 12:55pm
It's so fucking odd to have someone be a consistently brilliant comedian and be so visibly thick.
Or just that brilliance does not ensure having a social conscience. He also subscribes to that “people were tougher in the old days” crap. Like freaking out about inter-racial couples, open homosexuality, or showing a couple sharing a bed on tv. The whole tougher in the old days line is that you could pick on the socially marginalized and get cheered for it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 1:07pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Or just that brilliance does not ensure having a social conscience. He also subscribes to that “people were tougher in the old days” crap. Like freaking out about inter-racial couples, open homosexuality, or showing a couple sharing a bed on tv. The whole tougher in the old days line is that you could pick on the socially marginalized and get cheered for it.
Yeah. It's that thing that you pointed out to me years ago. The things that make him good and individual are also the things which make him less than admirable in his thinking.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 1:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 1:07pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Yeah. It's that thing that you pointed out to me years ago. The things that make him good and individual are also the things which make him less than admirable in his thinking.
Sigh. We'll always have, you guessed it, Frank Stallone.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Republican response is as predictable as it is stomach-churning: She's lying because women lie about this stuff all the time; or it doesn't count because it happened a long time ago, they were under age, people do all kinds of crazy stuff while drunk. On one hand, it's political expediency—they want to get their guy on the SC. But on the other, it's instructive politics. It reinforces an unambiguous opinion of male subjectivity and female utter objectivity, and women better fucking shut up about it because no one will believe you. They always playfully ask, Why didn't she come forward before? But they're immediately asserting why they'd better keep quiet. It's a crude but effective rhetoric of disempowerment, establishing conditions to preclude a victim coming forward and then blame her for not coming forward.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 2:22pm
The Republican response is as predictable as it is stomach-churning: She's lying because women lie about this stuff all the time; or it doesn't count because it happened a long time ago, they were under age, people do all kinds of crazy stuff while drunk. On one hand, it's political expediency—they want to get their guy on the SC. But on the other, it's instructive politics. It reinforces an unambiguous opinion of male subjectivity and female utter objectivity, and women better fucking shut up about it because no one will believe you. They always playfully ask, Why didn't she come forward before? But they're immediately asserting why they'd better keep quiet. It's a crude but effective rhetoric of disempowerment, establishing conditions to preclude a victim coming forward and then blame her for not coming forward.
Gaslighting Old Party
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Anyone else agree that it is Selina Williams that is being sexist?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 5:37pm
No.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Flex wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 7:03pm
101Walterton wrote:
No.
Do you agree with her?

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

101Walterton wrote:
I have to ask how on Earth she could be considered so?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 9:07pm
101Walterton wrote:
By making an allegation that she was treated unfairly and that she was treated unfairly on the basis that the umpire was a male and was sexist.
However she wasn’t treated unfairly and therefore the umpire wasn’t treating her unfairly on the basis she was female (and he was sexist).
Her false accusation therefore was sexist.

BostonBeaneater

101Walterton wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 9:22pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
By making an allegation that she was treated unfairly and that she was treated unfairly on the basis that the umpire was a male and was sexist.
However she wasn’t treated unfairly and therefore the umpire wasn’t treating her unfairly on the basis she was female (and he was sexist).
I think the point of it all was this; for time immemorium male player threw grand male hissy fits without repercussions and the reaction was uneven. If it was OK for McEnrow in 1983 then Williams should receive the same treatment.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 9:38pm
101Walterton wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I think the point of it all was this; for time immemorium male player threw grand male hissy fits without repercussions and the reaction was uneven. If it was OK for McEnrow in 1983 then Williams should receive the same treatment.
She was penalised for illegal coaching (admitted by her coach) and correctly dealt with.
The racket smash was the second violation and also correctly dealt with the same as any male player would have been and is.You can’t compare McEnrow in 83 but you can compare any male player in current times.

BostonBeaneater

101Walterton wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 10:00pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
She was penalised for illegal coaching (admitted by her coach) and correctly dealt with.
The racket smash was the second violation and also correctly dealt with the same as any male player would have been and is.You can’t compare McEnrow in 83 but you can compare any male player in current times.
Sure, she threw a fit which wasn’t a proudest moment. The illegal coaching rule sounds like some European horseshit you find in F1, futbol, or golf. I think playing field of behavior and expectations is tilted in favor is some and to the detriment of others. This is a big deal here in the States right now. I’m not sure if you’ve noticed but we’re in a bit of a crisis of conscience here.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 10:46pm
101Walterton wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 10:00pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

Sure, she threw a fit which wasn’t a proudest moment. The illegal coaching rule sounds like some European horseshit you find in F1, futbol, or golf. I think playing field of behavior and expectations is tilted in favor is some and to the detriment of others. This is a big deal here in the States right now. I’m not sure if you’ve noticed but we’re in a bit of a crisis of conscience here.
You can’t dismiss the illegal coaching it is the catalyst of the whole thing. It is against the rules and is punished regardless of whether you are male or female.
Williams was not playing well and was struggling.
Her coach ‘illegally’ gave her some advise how to get the upper hand ( details not necessary). It worked (again not relevant) but Williams went 3-1 up. She then had a shocker on her own serve with 2 double faults. As a result she smashed her racket and was penalised as anyone else male or female would have.
Williams claims she was then penalised for calling the umpire a thief. She wasn’t she was penalised for a 2 minute rant at the umpire that ended with her calling the umpire a thief. The umpire abuse was penalised the same as anyone else would be.
She had a bad day, she was frustrated, she lost. It wasn’t sexism and to claim it was is being sexist.
It’s a big deal everywhere which is why it is important to get things right not hide behind it?