No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Rat Patrol »

Also, I thought this was supposed to be an attempt at clumsy satire until I actually heard a couple minutes of PHC in a bookstore several years ago and realized that it was brilliant satire about horrible, no-good condescending dreck with a not-insignificant underlying skeev factor all dressed up to sound erudite so NPR totebag-toting zombies can thumb their noses.

Seriously, fuck that guy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I suspect I've told this story before, but during my very ill-fated return to graduate school in Iowa, I RA'd for a guy who was putting together a readings textbook for American Studies. He had a whole bunch of stuff he wanted to include but the choices were going to be shaped in no small part by his budget for getting permission to use. He told me that he had a Dylan song whose lyrics he wanted to use and contacted Dylan's people. $25, cool. Some piece from Garrison Keillor: $500. You're saying you're 20 times better than Bob Dylan, asshat? Whether for budget reasons or just being ticked off, GK didn't get used.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Rat Patrol wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 5:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 10:55am
When they came for Harvey Weinstein, I said nothing, because I wasn't a vengeful Hollywood overlord.
When they came for Roy Moore, I said nothing, because I wasn't a pedophile and phoney Christian.
But now they've come for mouth-breathing bozos like Matt Lauer, and I wonder where I'll still be able to get feather-soft newsishness information.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/29/media/g ... index.html

What about when they come for self-absorbed "humorists" more boring to listen to than watching paint dry? Where will you come for your foibles about cultured hill folk from a place and era that never existed? WHERE, DAMNIT?!?!
This one bothers me. I've always been a fan of early PHC, thanks to my dad.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Mimi wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 8:18pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 5:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 10:55am
When they came for Harvey Weinstein, I said nothing, because I wasn't a vengeful Hollywood overlord.
When they came for Roy Moore, I said nothing, because I wasn't a pedophile and phoney Christian.
But now they've come for mouth-breathing bozos like Matt Lauer, and I wonder where I'll still be able to get feather-soft newsishness information.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/29/media/g ... index.html

What about when they come for self-absorbed "humorists" more boring to listen to than watching paint dry? Where will you come for your foibles about cultured hill folk from a place and era that never existed? WHERE, DAMNIT?!?!
This one bothers me. I've always been a fan of early PHC, thanks to my dad.
"Early", maybe...but he's been trash for so long. Too much homophobia and lame attempts to pass that off as a Middle American problem when HE gets called out for the stories HE wrote about the little simpletons in his imaginary Minnesota fantasy world mocking gay people. And he's been a sleeper pick for years now in the Celebrity Sexual Harrassment career-death pool...major stink lines about his behind-the-scenes behavior that were shamefully allowed to persist as open secrets for years, and his worldview on the opposite sex cringe-inducingly captured for posterity in his published erotic poetry that he somehow thought would be monetized product that people on Planet Earth would willingly step forward to consume. Nevermind that his career was a good 15 years into total self-parody, but...egad, the skeev factor was already noxious. This should come as zero surprise.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Rat Patrol wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 5:58pm
Also, I thought this was supposed to be an attempt at clumsy satire until I actually heard a couple minutes of PHC in a bookstore several years ago and realized that it was brilliant satire about horrible, no-good condescending dreck with a not-insignificant underlying skeev factor all dressed up to sound erudite so NPR totebag-toting zombies can thumb their noses.

Seriously, fuck that guy.
Interestingly, Groening identified as a Keilor fan on this episode's commentary. The showrunner - I think it was David Mirkin - said something like "I think it's a fair satire." to which Groening said "Oh, I'm not saying it isn't fair."

At another point, Groening was surprised by Mirkin's burning hatred of Jimmy Carter - malaise forever - when he had thought the joke was at the expense of Carter's virulent detractors.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

His office was in a secluded space, and he had a button under his desk that allowed him to lock his door from the inside without getting up. This afforded him the assurance of privacy. It allowed him to welcome female employees and initiate inappropriate contact while knowing nobody could walk in on him, according to two women who were sexually harassed by Lauer.
https://splinternews.com/matt-lauers-al ... 1820851566

That's supervillain schtick. When you install the means to surreptitiously lock people in your office, how do you not know that you're way on the wrong side of moral? Plus, it's not like he installed it himself early one Sunday morning when no one was around. That shit was signed off on and paid for by NBC. How do these monsters get away with it? They've got institutional support.

edit:
Repairing the damage will take a lot of time and soul searching and I'm committed to beginning that effort. It is now my full-time job.
(a) Call me cynical, but I can't help but think that the damage to be repaired is, to him, mainly his reputation.
(b) Full-time job like OJ tireless effort to find the real killer!

What I wouldn't give for just one of these bastards to just say, "I'm a loathsome person and I'm just going to withdraw from society because I don't deserve equal standing with others."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

...aaaaand Russell Simmons finds himself in a very not-def kind of jam: http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/30/media/r ... index.html

Damn, I know this isn't going to last much longer before the corporate patriarchy manages to staunch the bleeding, but until then MOAR SCALPS! Nail them all to the wall. :twisted:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 4:47pm
...aaaaand Russell Simmons finds himself in a very not-def kind of jam: http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/30/media/r ... index.html

Damn, I know this isn't going to last much longer before the corporate patriarchy manages to staunch the bleeding, but until then MOAR SCALPS! Nail them all to the wall. :twisted:
Off-year elections promise to be fun for all the wiener escapades that will be raised. At this point, any man choosing to "spend more time with family" merits suspicion that he has lots of wiener skeletons in their closet.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

The rich really aren't like you and me. I honestly can't fathom how "DICKS OUT!" can ever be seen as a plausible first move. Like...even the stupidest, most dunderheaded pigs on earth will cycle through innumerable bad pickup lines, missed hints, and ass grabs before just whipping it the hell out in a formalized setting. But no...apparently past a certain rarified socio-politico-econ-celeb status level it's straight to "Pull my microfinger", no chaser.

I don't get it. Are these even males in the traditional sense, or has human evolution already diverged into a botoxed upper-crust subspecies distinct from us proles' gradual devo into amorphous mole-people who nonetheless still retain the residual genetic programming to clumsily compliment the pertness of one's tits repeatedly before finally deciding it's time to bring out Mr. Happy for a showing? :huh:

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Rat Patrol wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 10:42pm
The rich really aren't like you and me. I honestly can't fathom how "DICKS OUT!" can ever be seen as a plausible first move. Like...even the stupidest, most dunderheaded pigs on earth will cycle through innumerable bad pickup lines, missed hints, and ass grabs before just whipping it the hell out in a formalized setting. But no...apparently past a certain rarified socio-politico-econ-celeb status level it's straight to "Pull my microfinger", no chaser.

I don't get it. Are these even males in the traditional sense, or has human evolution already diverged into a botoxed upper-crust subspecies distinct from us proles' gradual devo into amorphous mole-people who nonetheless still retain the residual genetic programming to clumsily compliment the pertness of one's tits repeatedly before finally deciding it's time to bring out Mr. Happy for a showing? :huh:
Right. Don't these guys know that penises are actually really ugly (Mimi, back me up here) and that move would be a huge turnoff, even if you are attracted to the guy.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 3:27pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 10:42pm

Right. Don't these guys know that penises are actually really ugly (Mimi, back me up here) and that move would be a huge turnoff, even if you are attracted to the guy.
#NotAllPenises :shifty:

But, yeah, no dickpics. Please.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 7:40am
Al's one of the good guys, but that's not - as the kids say - a good look to be joking on this one.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 8:08am
Al's one of the good guys, but that's not - as the kids say - a good look to be joking on this one.
A small bit of levity might be useful these days amidst a blizzard of awful, and he has the status for that kind of joke.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 8:29am
Silent Majority wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 8:08am
A small bit of levity might be useful these days amidst a blizzard of awful, and he has the status for that kind of joke.
I'd argue he has too much status for the joke - being a rich white male - but I don't actually begrudge him a dash of tastelessness after a career of being reportedly one of the nicest people around.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/