19 Dec 2023, 4:26pm
Sparky wrote:
19 Dec 2023, 3:06pm
revbob wrote:
19 Dec 2023, 2:19pm
tepista wrote:
19 Dec 2023, 1:59pm
Those look like the same woman
At first glance I thought they were mannequins.
Back when the bomb was fun!
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperi ... sm-nevada/
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by coffeepotman »

Nothing happy about Hiroshima.
I've been to Japan many times, I've performed there and have many friends there. These are lovely people, I just find it difficult to believe all the war atrocities committed by them. Not just US but China, Phillipines....I find it hard to believe but then again my wife is German, her Oma survived the war but her Opa and great uncle didn't, they were in the military. Was is just hell I hate it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've mentioned here, and I did so again in my history class a couple weeks ago, that until the 1980s, the morality of Hiroshima/Nagasaki was regularly argued by young people. Since then, tho, it's mostly a shrug or simplified as just another weapon and one that ended the war. My curiosity is whether Gen Z, which seems a bit more passionate about Big Topics, will be more interested in the issue, especially on the heels of Oppenheimer.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Dec 2023, 9:42pm
I've mentioned here, and I did so again in my history class a couple weeks ago, that until the 1980s, the morality of Hiroshima/Nagasaki was regularly argued by young people. Since then, tho, it's mostly a shrug or simplified as just another weapon and one that ended the war. My curiosity is whether Gen Z, which seems a bit more passionate about Big Topics, will be more interested in the issue, especially on the heels of Oppenheimer.
Something something, a weapon unused is a useless weapon, something something...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 9:01am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Something something, a weapon unused is a useless weapon, something something...
By that logic, the US should have nuked Korea, Cuba, North Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, etc etc.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 9:16am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
By that logic, the US should have nuked Korea, Cuba, North Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, etc etc.
Should have...

I am kidding of course. It's really not a great weapon on account of the wind streams. We just watched Leave the World Behind which was good example of how we'll kill each other in the future.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 9:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Should have...

I am kidding of course. It's really not a great weapon on account of the wind streams. We just watched Leave the World Behind which was good example of how we'll kill each other in the future.
Recently read Daniel Ellsberg's The Doomsday Machine, about American nuclear strategy in the 50s and 60s (with implications to the present) and it is absolute madness. One of the things he emphasizes is that, beyond the initial explosion and radiation, is the firestorms would consume pretty much everything. It's absolute madness, heightened by how it's been rationalized by those who literally do know better.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 10:01am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 9:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Should have...

Recently read Daniel Ellsberg's The Doomsday Machine, about American nuclear strategy in the 50s and 60s (with implications to the present) and it is absolute madness. One of the things he emphasizes is that, beyond the initial explosion and radiation, is the firestorms would consume pretty much everything. It's absolute madness, heightened by how it's been rationalized by those who literally do know better.
If history has a message to us it is that people can rationalize damn near anything. Lately I've really been noticing how gigantic cars have gotten. I have a small dog and need a land yacht!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 3:35pm
If history has a message to us it is that people can rationalize damn near anything. Lately I've really been noticing how gigantic cars have gotten. I have a small dog and need a land yacht!
Last year we traded "down" from our mid-size SUV to a Fiat 500. For the first time since I gave up my driver's license, I want to drive again. It is the perfect size and power for driving a stick.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 3:51pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Last year we traded "down" from our mid-size SUV to a Fiat 500. For the first time since I gave up my driver's license, I want to drive again. It is the perfect size and power for driving a stick.
I am a huge fan of small 4 cylinder cars with the manual shift. Environmentally I think running this older gas sippers is better than some of these newer EVs.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 3:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
I am a huge fan of small 4 cylinder cars with the manual shift. Environmentally I think running this older gas sippers is better than some of these newer EVs.
I have a hard time with small cars
physically, especially as I get...older. Some cars Im literally rolling out on the ground and crawling up the side of the car to a standing position.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 7:52pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
physically, especially as I get...older. Some cars Im literally rolling out on the ground and crawling up the side of the car to a standing position.
You would be miserable in our Fiat. I'm okay in the front seat, tho, I'm close to the roof, but when I volunteer to sit in the back for a guest, I'm seriously scrunched. And I'm, like, three feet shorter than you.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 8:21pm
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
You would be miserable in our Fiat. I'm okay in the front seat, tho, I'm close to the roof, but when I volunteer to sit in the back for a guest, I'm seriously scrunched. And I'm, like, three feet shorter than you.
I cant imagine getting in/out of a Fiat now. Cars are in general so much lower to the ground these days.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 8:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 8:21pm
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I cant imagine getting in/out of a Fiat now. Cars are in general so much lower to the ground these days.
That's why we had an SUV (albeit the more compact type) for 15+ years before. The Boss is a miniature human and wanted that higher position on the road. Seemingly she doesn't care anymore as she loves the Fiat.