The Ripe for Runaway Conspiracy Theory Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Ripe for Runaway Conspiracy Theory Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 7:30am
One thing i find interesting in my home Irish context. The political landscape here seems to be heading for change in that the old conservative parties, who have ruled since the foundation of the state, are being overtaken by the inexorable rise of (leftist?) Sinn Fein whose support is largely driven by the young, say u-35, generation. And while that's a tough prospect for generations who grew up with and had their values at least partly shaped by the killings and murders in the north, the young with no living memory of such atrocities couldn't care less. They just want to kick the government in the nuts and Sinn Fein are the dock boots they can do it in.
It's funny, in Quebec since the 60s, when there was an awakening of French nationalist consciousness, politics dominated by Boomers has had a somewhat paranoid bent towards the rest of Canada and the world. Outsiders coming to overtake us. To that end, they've established lots of language laws to protect/promote French and make use of other languages difficult if not punitive. The success of it is that younger Francophones don't have that same fear of outsiders—not to the same degree, anyway—because their life has been one of the French norm. French culture in danger? That hasn't been their life experience. Yet Boomers still bang the paranoid drum, not appreciating their success.
The interesting thing, though, is that the young seemingly have that power here to affect that change and they're preparing to effect it. Unlike the UK, most notably, where elections are decided on the basis of the preferences of older voters who, of course, are overwhelmingly likely to vote for conservative parties. You could say the same for brexit too. I have yet to see any serious study or treatment of this glaring - to me anyway - anomaly.
My faith or hope is in the young. Get the Boomers off the stage and, frankly, Xers aren't much better, not for the kind of radical change required. Those growing up in anxious times are the best hope of breaking out of the dumb myths that got us here. No guarantee that they'll pursue something better, but anything is better than this Boomer stranglehold.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 7:47am
Low Down Low wrote:
One thing i find interesting in my home Irish context. The political landscape here seems to be heading for change in that the old conservative parties, who have ruled since the foundation of the state, are being overtaken by the inexorable rise of (leftist?) Sinn Fein whose support is largely driven by the young, say u-35, generation. And while that's a tough prospect for generations who grew up with and had their values at least partly shaped by the killings and murders in the north, the young with no living memory of such atrocities couldn't care less. They just want to kick the government in the nuts and Sinn Fein are the dock boots they can do it in.
It's funny, in Quebec since the 60s, when there was an awakening of French nationalist consciousness, politics dominated by Boomers has had a somewhat paranoid bent towards the rest of Canada and the world. Outsiders coming to overtake us. To that end, they've established lots of language laws to protect/promote French and make use of other languages difficult if not punitive. The success of it is that younger Francophones don't have that same fear of outsiders—not to the same degree, anyway—because their life has been one of the French norm. French culture in danger? That hasn't been their life experience. Yet Boomers still bang the paranoid drum, not appreciating their success.
The interesting thing, though, is that the young seemingly have that power here to affect that change and they're preparing to effect it. Unlike the UK, most notably, where elections are decided on the basis of the preferences of older voters who, of course, are overwhelmingly likely to vote for conservative parties. You could say the same for brexit too. I have yet to see any serious study or treatment of this glaring - to me anyway - anomaly.
My faith or hope is in the young. Get the Boomers off the stage and, frankly, Xers aren't much better, not for the kind of radical change required. Those growing up in anxious times are the best hope of breaking out of the dumb myths that got us here. No guarantee that they'll pursue something better, but anything is better than this Boomer stranglehold.
They're not in the main consuming Boomer-dominated media either, which may not be an entirely positive thing, but one good thing about it is they are all but immune to the whining from conservative columnists as, one by one, their old reliables and certainties are torn down. I listened to a phone in show a while back where irate boomers called in to proclaim the utter irretrievable breakdown of society because a few kids were apparently going round letting the air out of the tyres of SUVs. I too used to do stupid stuff in my teens and 20s but purely for my own glib gratification, so fair play to these guys for at least having a sense of purpose, i say. I actually found the whole thing quite hilarious tbh.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 8:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 7:47am
Low Down Low wrote:
They're not in the main consuming Boomer-dominated media either, which may not be an entirely positive thing, but one good thing about it is they are all but immune to the whining from conservative columnists as, one by one, their old reliables and certainties are torn down. I listened to a phone in show a while back where irate boomers called in to proclaim the utter irretrievable breakdown of society because a few kids were apparently going round letting the air out of the tyres of SUVs. I too used to do stupid stuff in my teens and 20s but purely for my own glib gratification, so fair play to these guys for at least having a sense of purpose, i say. I actually found the whole thing quite hilarious tbh.
That's an interesting point, too, about where they get their information, plus how skeptical or involved they are to it all. Again, maybe that's better, maybe not, too soon to tell.

(If delinquency is now equated to inconvenience, yeah, we're so completely, utterly doomed as a civilization.)
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Maybe Glenn Greenwald shouldn't have made fun of my hair in college, then he wouldn't have become such a douche canoe.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 2:32pm
Maybe Glenn Greenwald shouldn't have made fun of my hair in college, then he wouldn't have become such a douche canoe.
Hard look in the mirror time: Was your hair, in retrospect, make-funnable?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

The libs dont want you to know that Biden is actually dead and being played by Jim Carrey in real life...

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwgDCE1u ... BiNWFlZA==

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplac ... joe-biden/

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 7:51pm
The libs dont want you to know that Biden is actually dead and being played by Jim Carrey in real life...

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwgDCE1u ... BiNWFlZA==

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplac ... joe-biden/
Those MAGA's need to stick to the shake in the bottom of the bag, the sticky buds are too much for them to handle. :crazy:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 3:16pm
JennyB wrote:
It was awesome.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 10:57am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
It was awesome.
More like Jennifer Aniston or Gwen Stefani?

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 11:40am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
It was awesome.
It was a big purple Jew fro with an undercut.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 9:22am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
It was awesome.
Awesome.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Going back to something Doc said last page: I don’t want to be twenty again. I just want my body to feel like I’m 20 again.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 9:28am
Going back to something Doc said last page: I don’t want to be twenty again. I just want my body to feel like I’m 20 again.
Amen to that.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 9:22am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
It was awesome.
Okay, Greenwald was a dipshit even back then.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Iirc, we've had threads here exalting greenwald (I was among the admirers myself), and Mrs b warned us even then. There's a lesson there. And that lesson: ignore Mrs b at your own peril!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!