Earthquake Weather retrospective

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Earthquake Weather retrospective

Post by Marky Dread »

The greatest album ever made. Now if only The Clash had had Zander Schloss then GEER could've been awesome.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

thestreetparader
Corner Soul

Post by thestreetparader »

First, to give some perspective, I'm a 22 year old from California.

Second, I like Joe & The Mescaleros now, but they didn't do much for me, initially. I wasn't fascinated with Joe until I heard his work with The Latino Rockabilly War.

Earthquake Weather is the most underrated album I've ever listened to. Rather than list all the songs I like, I'll just say which tracks I am not too keen on. They are: Sikorsky Parts, Highway One Zero Street, and Boogie With Your Children. That said, they aren't necessarily bad tracks.

The bonus track version of the album has a killer tune called Punk Rock Blues.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

thestreetparader wrote:First, to give some perspective, I'm a 22 year old from California.

Second, I like Joe & The Mescaleros now, but they didn't do much for me, initially. I wasn't fascinated with Joe until I heard his work with The Latino Rockabilly War.

Earthquake Weather is the most underrated album I've ever listened to. Rather than list all the songs I like, I'll just say which tracks I am not too keen on. They are: Sikorsky Parts, Highway One Zero Street, and Boogie With Your Children. That said, they aren't necessarily bad tracks.

What was it that changed your mind about the Meskies? What do you think of Joe's work in the Clash.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:No amount of reappraisal can save it for me. Couple of good moments but in the main, a dud. Expected much more of Joe at the time but it's mostly a garbled, incoherent mess.
I have to agree. I don't think I have ever been as disappointed hearing a new album as I was when I listened to it the first time. It isn't just the strength of the songs it is the overall sound quality which I have always hated.

This sums it up for me pretty well only thing to add was how disappointed I was seeing Joe live at the Palladium in 90 or 91 don't remember.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

thestreetparader wrote:First, to give some perspective, I'm a 22 year old from California.

The only point you are off base on is Boogie With Your Children which is fucking awful.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Love Sikorsky Parts, a definite top threer on the album for me.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

This definately sold much more than 7,000 world wide. Im sure I can remember this went straight in the UK album charts top 50 on the first week - it left as quick as it arrived but i would think that would merit at least 7,000 sales just in the UK alone ( i actually think this is whats being quoted).

I think the Our Price charts could have been a lot higher as well.

It had a great promotion the HMV and Virgin record stores in Oxford street had giant posters all around promoting the album too. Reviews were all good pictures of the album cover in all the music papers etc i do remember a quote from a paper i read that said Sikorsky Parts goes through you like the blades of a Helicopter hmmm . Not to mention a decent single of love kills proceeding it which ironically had nothing to do with the album but it set the expected quality for me.

Funny enough i ended up buying this album with out hearing a single tune off it - promotion is a great thing i cant remember a single being out before the availability of the album though but i could be wrong,

I would think this album has sold the very least 250,000+ world wide if not more, the cover alone would make you buy it.

Damn just realised Youtube isnt available to post in here anymore oh well

<<Insert > <right here> :0) >

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

NoMoreHugh wrote:

If by magic i didnt expect that to happen :huh:

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

NoMoreHugh wrote:This definately sold much more than 7,000 world wide. Im sure I can remember this went straight in the UK album charts top 50 on the first week - it left as quick as it arrived but i would think that would merit at least 7,000 sales just in the UK alone ( i actually think this is whats being quoted).

I think the Our Price charts could have been a lot higher as well.

It had a great promotion the HMV and Virgin record stores in Oxford street had giant posters all around promoting the album too. Reviews were all good pictures of the album cover in all the music papers etc i do remember a quote from a paper i read that said Sikorsky Parts goes through you like the blades of a Helicopter hmmm . Not to mention a decent single of love kills proceeding it which ironically had nothing to do with the album but it set the expected quality for me.

Funny enough i ended up buying this album with out hearing a single tune off it - promotion is a great thing i cant remember a single being out before the availability of the album though but i could be wrong,

I would think this album has sold the very least 250,000+ world wide if not more, the cover alone would make you buy it.

I bought it at Tower Records in Queensway on the day of release. All the window displays and the entire ground floor was full of the promotion for it. I'm picking some people must have bought it without even having a Scooby Doo who Joe Strummer was such was the push for sales.

thestreetparader
Corner Soul

Post by thestreetparader »

101Walterton wrote:

What was it that changed your mind about the Meskies? What do you think of Joe's work in the Clash.
As a teenager, I was only into straight-up rock n' roll, so I didn't identify with the, for lack of a better term, "world music" that Joe made with The Mescaleros. I always liked The Clash. Joe's vocals sounded so cool, but I could never understand what he was saying. Once I started looking up lyrics and analyzing them, I got interested in Joe's background. When I learned that he was born in Turkey and grew up all over the world, the worldly music of the Mescaleros started making sense to me.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

thestreetparader wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

As a teenager, I was only into straight-up rock n' roll, so I didn't identify with the, for lack of a better term, "world music" that Joe made with The Mescaleros. I always liked The Clash. Joe's vocals sounded so cool, but I could never understand what he was saying. Once I started looking up lyrics and analyzing them, I got interested in Joe's background. When I learned that he was born in Turkey and grew up all over the world, the worldly music of the Mescaleros started making sense to me.
I find it difficult to compare the Clash and the Mescaleroes because their respective eras were so different, but both are equally important to me. What makes the Mesky's songs so great for me is that 40 years of experience went into the making of them. I believe Joe wrote his best political songs during this time.