Straight To Hell Returns

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Straight To Hell Returns

Post by dave202 »

I saw this on Amazon at £34.54 with only three in stock. I thought that was a bit steep and found it on the Ace Records site, £11.00 including free p&P. That's more like it!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Straight To Hell Returns

Post by Marky Dread »

dave202 wrote:I saw this on Amazon at £34.54 with only three in stock. I thought that was a bit steep and found it on the Ace Records site, £11.00 including free p&P. That's more like it!
I got it it's OK.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm not sure that that film justifies a director's cut—it has its moments, but c'mon—but I'm watching it now.

edit: Okay, it's a better flick than I remembered. Lots of absurd fun with the genre's tropes. The additional scenes that I could identify didn't especially add much. The insane hardware store owner George stood out for me in terms of dialogue, as well the Pogues'/McMahon's sniggers.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:I'm not sure that that film justifies a director's cut—it has its moments, but c'mon—but I'm watching it now.

edit: Okay, it's a better flick than I remembered. Lots of absurd fun with the genre's tropes. The additional scenes that I could identify didn't especially add much. The insane hardware store owner George stood out for me in terms of dialogue, as well the Pogues'/McMahon's sniggers.
I like it and as you point out it has it's moments. It's absurd but it works just about.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

i like it. not great cinema by any means, but a fun (if sometimes slow) ride with some interesting real life characters trying to play not-so-interesting fictional characters. and some great fun moments.

Strummer really could have been a pretty fine character actor ala David Johansen, but alas, he was just a bit too ornery towards the medium of acting, or maybe just too undisciplined or self-concious for it...
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Personally I'm glad Joe ultimately stuck to the day job, because I don't believe he could act really. Wasn't his whole adult life basically an act anyway, the act of being Joe Strummer, and even that was a role he didn't always pull off that convincingly? I don't think he's good in Mystery Train, maybe that's partly due to a sense of over-familiarity on my part, but acting alongside Buscemi just shows him up for the amateur he was. That said, am glad he was in it, because I doubt I'd have ever watched it otherwise and it is rather excellent.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Low Down Low wrote:Personally I'm glad Joe ultimately stuck to the day job, because I don't believe he could act really. Wasn't his whole adult life basically an act anyway, the act of being Joe Strummer, and even that was a role he didn't always pull off that convincingly? I don't think he's good in Mystery Train, maybe that's partly due to a sense of over-familiarity on my part, but acting alongside Buscemi just shows him up for the amateur he was. That said, am glad he was in it, because I doubt I'd have ever watched it otherwise and it is rather excellent.
My sentiments exactly.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I would have watched it regardless of Strummer/Costello/Pogues being in it. I like Alex Cox movies.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia