The Lyrics of Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 17156
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: The Lyrics of Joe Strummer

Post by JennyB » 05 Jun 2018, 11:37am

101Walterton wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 5:39am
Mick was big on the cheese as well that is why he wrote Stay Brie.
In Johnny Appleseed, the original lyrics were "don't go killing all the cheese."
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 39021
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Lyrics of Joe Strummer

Post by Marky Dread » 06 Jun 2018, 3:16pm

JennyB wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 11:37am
101Walterton wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 5:39am
Mick was big on the cheese as well that is why he wrote Stay Brie.
In Johnny Appleseed, the original lyrics were "don't go killing all the cheese."
:mrgreen:
Image

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 20711
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: The Lyrics of Joe Strummer

Post by matedog » 06 Jun 2018, 3:48pm

crawa197 wrote:
10 May 2018, 2:48pm
Has anyone else noticed how immediate and quick Joe Strummer's lyrics were?
Finally someone agrees with me about Gates of the West being lyrically a bit rushed.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

laxman
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1825
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:05pm

Re: The Lyrics of Joe Strummer

Post by laxman » 06 Jun 2018, 5:09pm

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 3:16pm
JennyB wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 11:37am
101Walterton wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 5:39am
Mick was big on the cheese as well that is why he wrote Stay Brie.
In Johnny Appleseed, the original lyrics were "don't go killing all the cheese."
:mrgreen:
Not “don’t go grilling all the cheese”?

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 28265
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The Lyrics of Joe Strummer

Post by Heston » 06 Jun 2018, 5:18pm

matedog wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 3:48pm
crawa197 wrote:
10 May 2018, 2:48pm
Has anyone else noticed how immediate and quick Joe Strummer's lyrics were?
Finally someone agrees with me about Gates of the West being lyrically a bit rushed.
Godammit Hoyston.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4713
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Lyrics of Joe Strummer

Post by muppet hi fi » 06 Jun 2018, 6:40pm

Heston wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 5:18pm
matedog wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 3:48pm
crawa197 wrote:
10 May 2018, 2:48pm
Has anyone else noticed how immediate and quick Joe Strummer's lyrics were?
Finally someone agrees with me about Gates of the West being lyrically a bit rushed.
Godammit Hoyston.
Bullshit. It's a great lyric, very affecting and compassionate. And who told youse that Joe wrote it by himself?
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 28265
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The Lyrics of Joe Strummer

Post by Heston » 06 Jun 2018, 7:32pm

muppet hi fi wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 6:40pm
Heston wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 5:18pm
matedog wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 3:48pm
crawa197 wrote:
10 May 2018, 2:48pm
Has anyone else noticed how immediate and quick Joe Strummer's lyrics were?
Finally someone agrees with me about Gates of the West being lyrically a bit rushed.
Godammit Hoyston.
Bullshit. It's a great lyric, very affecting and compassionate. And who told youse that Joe wrote it by himself?
I love Gates of the West, probably my favourite Mick song. The lyrics/phrasing are absolutely fine and Matey is insane. I probably never made that clear enough.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4713
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Lyrics of Joe Strummer

Post by muppet hi fi » 06 Jun 2018, 7:42pm

Heston wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 7:32pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 6:40pm
Heston wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 5:18pm
matedog wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 3:48pm
crawa197 wrote:
10 May 2018, 2:48pm
Has anyone else noticed how immediate and quick Joe Strummer's lyrics were?
Finally someone agrees with me about Gates of the West being lyrically a bit rushed.
Godammit Hoyston.
Bullshit. It's a great lyric, very affecting and compassionate. And who told youse that Joe wrote it by himself?
I love Gates of the West, probably my favourite Mick song. The lyrics/phrasing are absolutely fine and Matey is insane. I probably never made that clear enough.
Yeah, a top 10, maybe 5 Clash tune for me. Sorry, thought the Hoyston alliance was rearing it's unseemly head there. ;) :mrgreen:
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 28265
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The Lyrics of Joe Strummer

Post by Heston » 06 Jun 2018, 8:03pm

muppet hi fi wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 7:42pm
Heston wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 7:32pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 6:40pm
Heston wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 5:18pm
matedog wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 3:48pm


Finally someone agrees with me about Gates of the West being lyrically a bit rushed.
Godammit Hoyston.
Bullshit. It's a great lyric, very affecting and compassionate. And who told youse that Joe wrote it by himself?
I love Gates of the West, probably my favourite Mick song. The lyrics/phrasing are absolutely fine and Matey is insane. I probably never made that clear enough.
Yeah, a top 10, maybe 5 Clash tune for me. Sorry, thought the Hoyston alliance was rearing it's unseemly head there. ;) :mrgreen:
I was cursing the Hoy in everyone.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4713
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Lyrics of Joe Strummer

Post by muppet hi fi » 06 Jun 2018, 9:09pm

Heston wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 8:03pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 7:42pm
Heston wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 7:32pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 6:40pm
Heston wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 5:18pm


Godammit Hoyston.
Bullshit. It's a great lyric, very affecting and compassionate. And who told youse that Joe wrote it by himself?
I love Gates of the West, probably my favourite Mick song. The lyrics/phrasing are absolutely fine and Matey is insane. I probably never made that clear enough.
Yeah, a top 10, maybe 5 Clash tune for me. Sorry, thought the Hoyston alliance was rearing it's unseemly head there. ;) :mrgreen:
I was cursing the Hoy in everyone.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

deny
Junco Partner
Posts: 388
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:20pm

Re: The Lyrics of Joe Strummer

Post by deny » 07 Jun 2018, 1:43am

As Mick used to sing to Joe:-

Its always cheese cheese cheese
you're happy when you're eating cheese
Joining the Street Parade

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 17156
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: The Lyrics of Joe Strummer

Post by JennyB » 07 Jun 2018, 9:52am

laxman wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 5:09pm
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 3:16pm
JennyB wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 11:37am
101Walterton wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 5:39am
Mick was big on the cheese as well that is why he wrote Stay Brie.
In Johnny Appleseed, the original lyrics were "don't go killing all the cheese."
:mrgreen:
Not “don’t go grilling all the cheese”?
Damn...that's brilliant.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 17156
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: The Lyrics of Joe Strummer

Post by JennyB » 07 Jun 2018, 9:54am

muppet hi fi wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 6:40pm
Heston wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 5:18pm
matedog wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 3:48pm
crawa197 wrote:
10 May 2018, 2:48pm
Has anyone else noticed how immediate and quick Joe Strummer's lyrics were?
Finally someone agrees with me about Gates of the West being lyrically a bit rushed.
Godammit Hoyston.
Bullshit. It's a great lyric, very affecting and compassionate. And who told youse that Joe wrote it by himself?
Of all the wrong Hoyische opinions, and of them there are MANY, this is the most egregious. It's a top 5 Clash song for me, too.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 39021
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Lyrics of Joe Strummer

Post by Marky Dread » 07 Jun 2018, 3:23pm

deny wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 1:43am
As Mick used to sing to Joe:-

Its always cheese cheese cheese
you're happy when you're eating cheese
One day it's brined and next it's yak
So take some out the pack
Well, come on and let me know
should I slice the capriago
Image

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 16863
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Lyrics of Joe Strummer

Post by 101Walterton » 07 Jun 2018, 3:55pm

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 3:23pm
deny wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 1:43am
As Mick used to sing to Joe:-

Its always cheese cheese cheese
you're happy when you're eating cheese
One day it's brined and next it's yak
So take some out the pack
Well, come on and let me know
should I slice the capriago
Hshaha

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests