Mescaleros playing 'Tony Adams' on French TV

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Mescaleros playing 'Tony Adams' on French TV

Post by JohnS »

This is new to me, but it says it's been on youtube since 2013 so apologies if it's old hat.
'TA' was pressed up as a promo CD single when the Rock Art album was released, so maybe they were plugging it here with a view to it being a fully-blown single release.
Whatever, it's a great performance of one of my fave Mescies tunes. Joe and the band are firing on all cylinders on this one.

Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: Mescaleros playing 'Tony Adams' on French TV

Post by laxman »

Thanks, I have seen that before, but fantastic to be reminded about it, sounds brilliant.

If he was still around which centre half would be worthy of a sequel? Struggling to imagine a song called Phil Jones.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I'd seen it before too, but yeah, fanastic. Good to see again.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Surprised it never made JS 001, one of their best tunes.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

laxman wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 9:46am
Thanks, I have seen that before, but fantastic to be reminded about it, sounds brilliant.

If he was still around which centre half would be worthy of a sequel? Struggling to imagine a song called Phil Jones.
As Joe was proud of his Scottish roots, I think he'd look to the Celtic defence and write one called 'Dedrick Boyata'. He could always play it as a medley with 'Accidents Will Happen'.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

dave202 wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 4:43pm
laxman wrote:

As Joe was proud of his Scottish roots, I think he'd look to the Celtic defence and write one called 'Dedrick Boyata'. He could always play it as a medley with 'Accidents Will Happen'.
Ha ha, I haven't really seen him play, didn't they get him from Man City?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

laxman wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 4:50pm
dave202 wrote:
laxman wrote:

Maybe Phil Jones not a bad option as when Joe introduced the song on stage he talked about writing about Adams because he was a lunatic. Nothing to do with his ability as we know Joe was a Chelsea fan.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

laxman wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 4:50pm
dave202 wrote:
laxman wrote:

Man City reserves. Remember, Man City sign a lot of 'prospects' who have no prospect of really making it. Dedrick's father has said as much recently, and I believe the player regrets his rash, young decision. He is described as a 'World Cup player' with Belgium, but just played in the first round until Kompany was fit. I wouldn't buy a track named after him, you'd never know how long it would last.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I’m sure there’s a good reason why the song Tony Adams is indeed called Tony Adams, but I’ve never quite being able to work out what it might be. I remember seeing it alluded to in Adams’ autobiography but that didn’t shed a whole lot of light on it. Adams seemed to be under the impression Joes parents were still alive and neighbours of his for some unexplained reason!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 7:03pm
I’m sure there’s a good reason why the song Tony Adams is indeed called Tony Adams, but I’ve never quite being able to work out what it might be. I remember seeing it alluded to in Adams’ autobiography but that didn’t shed a whole lot of light on it. Adams seemed to be under the impression Joes parents were still alive and neighbours of his for some unexplained reason!
He is a bizarre human being so I doubt he will give the song and its origin much thought. I also get the impression Joe wasn't that big a football fan. Nor Simonon, who I heard call the crowd "the audience" in one documentary.

Nothing is as bad as Jake Burns from SLF though, how could you change the team you support from Liverpool to Newcastle when you are in your thirties? And just as the Mags were on a resurgence with Keegan? It should be in your bones that you stick with "your" team through thick and thin.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 7:35pm
Low Down Low wrote:
He is a bizarre human being so I doubt he will give the song and its origin much thought. I also get the impression Joe wasn't that big a football fan. Nor Simonon, who I heard call the crowd "the audience" in one documentary.

Nothing is as bad as Jake Burns from SLF though, how could you change the team you support from Liverpool to Newcastle when you are in your thirties? And just as the Mags were on a resurgence with Keegan? It should be in your bones that you stick with "your" team through thick and thin.
But...Black Grape.....England’s Irie???

Nah, don’t think Joe was much the football fan at all. Think he’s just having a bit of fun with the Adams thing and it fits with the sense of humour he brought to a lot of his later songs.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
I heard Joe talking about Adams being the England captain but also being mad. He went through that crazy drinking stage and prison? for drink driving then he turned to the piano and although his ability was always questioned his leadership and courage was admired. He is an enigma.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

I think Joe at least flirted with being a football fan. When he was living in the Worlds End estate he may have got the bug, being in the Chelsea catchment area. Although would Fulham have been more local?
Anyway I read some account of Joe going to watch Chelsea, in the late 70s or early 80s - certainly in the London Calling era - and some skinhead saw him in the queue at the turnstiles waiting to get in; straightaway he shouted out 'Hey Strummer, you're not so fuckin' bored with the USA now, are ya?!' :mrgreen:
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

JohnS wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 10:03pm
I think Joe at least flirted with being a football fan. When he was living in the Worlds End estate he may have got the bug, being in the Chelsea catchment area. Although would Fulham have been more local?
Anyway I read some account of Joe going to watch Chelsea, in the late 70s or early 80s - certainly in the London Calling era - and some skinhead saw him in the queue at the turnstiles waiting to get in; straightaway he shouted out 'Hey Strummer, you're not so fuckin' bored with the USA now, are ya?!' :mrgreen:
Yep that was a Purple Hayes story :mrgreen:

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 9:50pm
Low Down Low wrote:
I heard Joe talking about Adams being the England captain but also being mad. He went through that crazy drinking stage and prison? for drink driving then he turned to the piano and although his ability was always questioned his leadership and courage was admired. He is an enigma.
Yeah that does make a little bit of sense in the context of the song. He definitely had some time for Adams, that’s for sure.