Strummservations

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Strummservations

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 2:32pm
JennyB wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 1:14pm
Inder wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 1:13pm
JennyB wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 1:03pm
matedog wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 1:01pm

I got a little misty eyed reading that.
Same. I remember how heartbreaking it was watching that doc and him pretty much begging people to see his show.
I think Teddy posted that the boardwalk scene upset some of Joe's friends (I think Don walked out of the screening?) because it was filmed as a gag and presented as something else.
Ugh. That's awful.
Yeah, it certainly did not come off as funny, if that was the intention.
The man deserved a better class of friend.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

What happened to the tracks Joe sent to Mick to work on that were going to be the next Clash album?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 3:55pm
What happened to the tracks Joe sent to Mick to work on that were going to be the next Clash album?
Mick gave them to The Good The Bad and The Queen. ;)

I want to know what's happening to all those tapes that were being worked on that was left to Lucinda after Joe left us.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 4:42pm
101Walterton wrote:

I want to know what's happening to all those tapes that were being worked on that was left to Lucinda after Joe left us.
Yep there was talk of releasing a box with demos notes lyrics all sorts.
From reading that article Mick did work with the lyrics Joe gave him but they weren't used by Meskies so what happened to them???

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 5:12pm
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 4:42pm
101Walterton wrote:

Yep there was talk of releasing a box with demos notes lyrics all sorts.
From reading that article Mick did work with the lyrics Joe gave him but they weren't used by Meskies so what happened to them???
Wish I knew mate. I expect Mick still has them. Of course they may have only been very rough sketches awaiting Mick's brilliance to put on them.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

101Walterton wrote:
Joe gave Mick lyrics that Mick put music to. So far they’re in the vault, in the Seinfeld sense. No one knows but Mick.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Inder wrote:
JennyB wrote:
matedog wrote:
Same. I remember how heartbreaking it was watching that doc and him pretty much begging people to see his show.
I think Teddy posted that the boardwalk scene upset some of Joe's friends (I think Don walked out of the screening?) because it was filmed as a gag and presented as something else.
Yes. Joe was being funny and self-deprecating. I have no Earthly clue what Dick Rude had in mind.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 12:30am
Inder wrote:
JennyB wrote:
matedog wrote:
Yes. Joe was being funny and self-deprecating. I have no Earthly clue what Dick Rude had in mind.
And I have no clue as to why people find this scene upsetting or pathetic. I've always found it, as you say Teddy, funny and self deprecating. I even think it's a noble scenario: the traveling minstrel boy doing what he does - drumming up excitement for some further and larger excitement. Am I missing something here?
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Inder wrote:
JennyB wrote:
matedog wrote:
I enjoyed that scene. I didn't take it seriously. Joe looked like he was enjoying himself, he was always downplaying himself.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 12:42am
Inder wrote:
JennyB wrote:
matedog wrote:

And I have no clue as to why people find this scene upsetting or pathetic. I've always found it, as you say Teddy, funny and self deprecating. I even think it's a noble scenario: the traveling minstrel boy doing what he does - drumming up excitement for some further and larger excitement. Am I missing something here?
Totally agree mate.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Joe’s friends were a bit sensitive after his passing and I don’t think they all trusted Dick Rude to do right by Joe. As was mentioned, Don took particular exception. I don’t think Gerry was thrilled either, despite being featured at the campfire. I can’t remember how Josh felt about it. Everyone thought a bit that Joe should be seen at that point in a shining light.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I can't relate to watching that boardwalk scene as someone close to Joe, but it never struck me to think that it might be insensitive or exploitative in any way. Even if it's staged, it strikes me as something Joe might have done anyway, for a laugh or a wheeze, or just to get some fresh sea air. I like the sense of humility it portrays and I'd kill to have been that person he handed the flyer he'd drawn with his own hand.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I think Joe's attitude to it was summed up when that woman said I know who you are and Joe ignored it and just carried on pretending to be unknown.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

It was sort of presented as being necessary, as if tickets weren't selling, wasn't it?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 5:57pm
It was sort of presented as being necessary, as if tickets weren't selling, wasn't it?
Surely it was tongue in cheek though.