Best Mescaleros song - vote it out

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Best Mescaleros song - vote it out

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
msza2 wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:Is Bhindi Bagee that dumb one where he talks about how his life and music is soooo diverse? Ugh, always hated that one.
Megadittoes, Rush! Keep up the good work! ;)
I took it as him being stoked about the cultural diversity in London, rather than a brag about how diverse he is personally.
I just comes across as really cheesy to me. "I love diversity! Look at how much I love it! I love all cultures and styles. My mind is so open!"
It isn't about Joe at all just the area he lives and what food and music are in the general culture. No bragging taking place just a neat tune, but hey each to their own.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:Surprised how few people chose Cool 'n Out. It's an absolute barnburner.
I put it at 2. also.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

matedog wrote:
msza2 wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:Is Bhindi Bagee that dumb one where he talks about how his life and music is soooo diverse? Ugh, always hated that one.
I took it as him being stoked about the cultural diversity in London, rather than a brag about how diverse he is personally.
I just comes across as really cheesy to me. "I love diversity! Look at how much I love it! I love all cultures and styles. My mind is so open!"
I think you have it wrong it isn't about Joe it is about changing London. He meets a guy from New Zealand (apparently based on a true story) which is significant because he is on the traditional 'OE' from the colonies and is looking for stereotypical London. Joe is trying to explain that those days are gone and London has moved on.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

1. Johnny Appleseed
2. Coma Girl
3. Yalla Yalla

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

I think it's a great, fun, joyous, toe-tappin' tune.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Yeah, and it has a flute, my favourite instrument.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Yeah, and it has a flute, my favourite instrument.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes »

101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
msza2 wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think you have it wrong it isn't about Joe it is about changing London. He meets a guy from New Zealand (apparently based on a true story) which is significant because he is on the traditional 'OE' from the colonies and is looking for stereotypical London. Joe is trying to explain that those days are gone and London has moved on.
You're right, but we never really have had mushy peas in the South, everywhere north of Watford seems to, can we have another survey?
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Purple Hayes wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
msza2 wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: Megadittoes, Rush! Keep up the good work! ;)
You're right, but we never really have had mushy peas in the South, everywhere north of Watford seems to, can we have another survey?
The guy is from New Zealand he is looking for the England he has heard about from his parents / grandparents and from watching Coronation Street. He presumes everyone wears a cloth cap and braces and eats mushy peas :mrgreen: .

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes »

101Walterton wrote:
Purple Hayes wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
msza2 wrote: I took it as him being stoked about the cultural diversity in London, rather than a brag about how diverse he is personally.
The guy is from New Zealand he is looking for the England he has heard about from his parents / grandparents and from watching Coronation Street. He presumes everyone wears a cloth cap and braces and eats mushy peas :mrgreen: .
Ok, it all fits now...
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
msza2 wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
This is exactly how I've always received the song, and I'm a Yank. Plus Joe's rapid fire rapping of all the foods and musics is highly infectious; great vocal on this.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
msza2 wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: Megadittoes, Rush! Keep up the good work! ;)
This is exactly how I've always received the song, and I'm a Yank. Plus Joe's rapid fire rapping of all the foods and musics is highly infectious; great vocal on this.
You got it!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

You can't beat mushy peas with fish and chips!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:You can't beat mushy peas with fish and chips!
I'm hungry now...off to the chippy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

And Bhindi Bhagee is the only song I know of with the words "Waccy Baccy" in the lyrics. :mrgreen: