Any tracks Joe did NOT play on?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
WestwayKid
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1205
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: Any tracks Joe did NOT play on?

Post by WestwayKid » 11 Jan 2018, 7:10pm

matedog wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 7:06pm
WestwayKid wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 6:52pm
matedog wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 6:07pm
One epiphany I had from Route 19 was that Mick didn't write a lot of lyrics. Confirmed are: Janie Jones, 1, 2 Crush On You, Complete Control, Stay Free, Train in Vain, SISOSIG. A lot of Mick vocals are Joe lyrics which makes sense because the lyricist for Card Cheat certainly wasn't the same lyricist for BAD's catalog.
That is very interesting, but makes sense. Not to take anything away from Mick. Just that Joe was the lyric guy and Mick was the music guy. Both amongst the very best at what they did. I could envision times where Joe could pick up something from Mick’s life...Stay Free, for instance...and put it into words. Almost like Joe was an interpreter for Mick and a lot of other people. Just a great team: one guy could write killer words and the other guy could write killer music. I love ‘em both.
Sorry, I meant confirmed lyrics that Mick did write those songs I listed (Stay Free, for example). But Lost in the Supermarket, etc. are Joe lyrics.
Ahh! That makes sense. Curious to know about I’m Not Down. That has to be a Mick lyric.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 27765
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Any tracks Joe did NOT play on?

Post by Heston » 11 Jan 2018, 7:39pm

No one can live with Joe but I thought Mick did a helluva job on This Is BAD with the lyrics. I know Don wrote the E=MC2 lyric, but he admits to being Mick's lyrical apprentice around this time so Mick must have weighed in with quite a few. Whatever, they made a decent fist of it between them.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4709
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: Any tracks Joe did NOT play on?

Post by muppet hi fi » 12 Jan 2018, 12:37am

Heston wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 7:39pm
No one can live with Joe but I thought Mick did a helluva job on This Is BAD with the lyrics. I know Don wrote the E=MC2 lyric, but he admits to being Mick's lyrical apprentice around this time so Mick must have weighed in with quite a few. Whatever, they made a decent fist of it between them.
Yep. I was just going to post about the lyrics on This Is BAD, mate. Every song is genius. Check out "A Party", folks (Don may or may not have contributed lyrically). Mick could certainly hold his own in the lyrics department. Still can (just listened to Carbon/Silicon's 'Last Post' with the b-sides; the man's in a league of his own as far as writing, and, yeah -lyrics too).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8778
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Any tracks Joe did NOT play on?

Post by Kory » 12 Jan 2018, 12:42am

matedog wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 7:06pm
WestwayKid wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 6:52pm
matedog wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 6:07pm
One epiphany I had from Route 19 was that Mick didn't write a lot of lyrics. Confirmed are: Janie Jones, 1, 2 Crush On You, Complete Control, Stay Free, Train in Vain, SISOSIG. A lot of Mick vocals are Joe lyrics which makes sense because the lyricist for Card Cheat certainly wasn't the same lyricist for BAD's catalog.
That is very interesting, but makes sense. Not to take anything away from Mick. Just that Joe was the lyric guy and Mick was the music guy. Both amongst the very best at what they did. I could envision times where Joe could pick up something from Mick’s life...Stay Free, for instance...and put it into words. Almost like Joe was an interpreter for Mick and a lot of other people. Just a great team: one guy could write killer words and the other guy could write killer music. I love ‘em both.
Sorry, I meant confirmed lyrics that Mick did write those songs I listed (Stay Free, for example). But Lost in the Supermarket, etc. are Joe lyrics.
What's the word on SGM? I always thought that was a Mick'er but now I'm not sure.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 27765
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Any tracks Joe did NOT play on?

Post by Heston » 12 Jan 2018, 4:06am

Kory wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 12:42am
matedog wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 7:06pm
WestwayKid wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 6:52pm
matedog wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 6:07pm
One epiphany I had from Route 19 was that Mick didn't write a lot of lyrics. Confirmed are: Janie Jones, 1, 2 Crush On You, Complete Control, Stay Free, Train in Vain, SISOSIG. A lot of Mick vocals are Joe lyrics which makes sense because the lyricist for Card Cheat certainly wasn't the same lyricist for BAD's catalog.
That is very interesting, but makes sense. Not to take anything away from Mick. Just that Joe was the lyric guy and Mick was the music guy. Both amongst the very best at what they did. I could envision times where Joe could pick up something from Mick’s life...Stay Free, for instance...and put it into words. Almost like Joe was an interpreter for Mick and a lot of other people. Just a great team: one guy could write killer words and the other guy could write killer music. I love ‘em both.
Sorry, I meant confirmed lyrics that Mick did write those songs I listed (Stay Free, for example). But Lost in the Supermarket, etc. are Joe lyrics.
What's the word on SGM? I always thought that was a Mick'er but now I'm not sure.
Joe.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 20521
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Any tracks Joe did NOT play on?

Post by matedog » 12 Jan 2018, 10:54am

WestwayKid wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 7:10pm
matedog wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 7:06pm
WestwayKid wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 6:52pm
matedog wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 6:07pm
One epiphany I had from Route 19 was that Mick didn't write a lot of lyrics. Confirmed are: Janie Jones, 1, 2 Crush On You, Complete Control, Stay Free, Train in Vain, SISOSIG. A lot of Mick vocals are Joe lyrics which makes sense because the lyricist for Card Cheat certainly wasn't the same lyricist for BAD's catalog.
That is very interesting, but makes sense. Not to take anything away from Mick. Just that Joe was the lyric guy and Mick was the music guy. Both amongst the very best at what they did. I could envision times where Joe could pick up something from Mick’s life...Stay Free, for instance...and put it into words. Almost like Joe was an interpreter for Mick and a lot of other people. Just a great team: one guy could write killer words and the other guy could write killer music. I love ‘em both.
Sorry, I meant confirmed lyrics that Mick did write those songs I listed (Stay Free, for example). But Lost in the Supermarket, etc. are Joe lyrics.
Ahh! That makes sense. Curious to know about I’m Not Down. That has to be a Mick lyric.
Joe per Route 19 which cites handwritten lyrics in Joe's handwriting with revisions.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1461
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: Any tracks Joe did NOT play on?

Post by Low Down Low » 12 Jan 2018, 3:05pm

What about Mick? Any Mick-less Clash tracks there or is such a thing even conceivable? Lose This Skin perhaps?

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 13592
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Any tracks Joe did NOT play on?

Post by Silent Majority » 12 Jan 2018, 3:06pm

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 3:05pm
What about Mick? Any Mick-less Clash tracks there or is such a thing even conceivable? Lose This Skin perhaps?
Red Angel Dragnet?
Ain't no man in this land
Who gets up and works for fifty grand


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 27765
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Any tracks Joe did NOT play on?

Post by Heston » 12 Jan 2018, 3:19pm

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 3:05pm
What about Mick? Any Mick-less Clash tracks there or is such a thing even conceivable? Lose This Skin perhaps?
All of Cut the Crap.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76346
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Any tracks Joe did NOT play on?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 12 Jan 2018, 3:39pm

Heston wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 3:19pm
Low Down Low wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 3:05pm
What about Mick? Any Mick-less Clash tracks there or is such a thing even conceivable? Lose This Skin perhaps?
All of Cut the Crap.
Don't shoot the messenger, but it just proves they were better off without him.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

daredevil
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4579
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:35pm
Contact:

Re: Any tracks Joe did NOT play on?

Post by daredevil » 12 Jan 2018, 4:19pm

Pretty sure Stop The World is just Joe and Topper

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8778
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Any tracks Joe did NOT play on?

Post by Kory » 12 Jan 2018, 5:17pm

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 3:06pm
Low Down Low wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 3:05pm
What about Mick? Any Mick-less Clash tracks there or is such a thing even conceivable? Lose This Skin perhaps?
Red Angel Dragnet?
Eh?
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests