How about some new Clash "product" for 2017

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: How about some new Clash "product" for 2017

Post by coffeepotman »

bazarboy75 wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 4:15am
Well i'm working on new Clash remix at the moment....

Now that is something to be excited about!

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

A Bonds show or collection or box set is long overdue. A blu-ray would be great if the footage exists.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I want to hear what happened between Combat Rock and Mick's sacking. Something must have been recorded in that 18 month period.

I also want the CtC recordings from before Bernie got all Yamaha-y on them.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 12:26am
I don't know John. The Jam put out that live box. What would be the Clash's rationale for another release? Half of Rat Patrol or more is available officially. They don't really want to put it out as a release, even paired with Combat Rock, as Joe isn't around to agree and he didn't approve at the time. I don't foresee them releasing more demos, though for a different act that did release expanded versions of their albums, the Basing Street demos would fit with Rope. But the Beatles didn't append extra tracks to their album re-releases, and I think their box was sort of a model for Sound System. I could see that Bonds may have been the basis for a release, but the interest has probably waned. The only official live release they put out was Shea, which was recorded for an album when they were still together and which Joe approved before he died.
So no chance for Lewisham. Fuck that shit.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Heston wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 1:51pm
I want to hear what happened between Combat Rock and Mick's sacking. Something must have been recorded in that 18 month period.

I also want the CtC recordings from before Bernie got all Yamaha-y on them.
I agree on both counts, but really, something must have been laid down after CR...this isn't a band that went long between trips to the studio.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

After Combat Rock, they toured a lot. Joe did Hell W10. Mick did some demos, including Trans Cash Free Whatever. Bernie said they should learn to play New Orleans music. Mick's lawyer didn't like the new contract Bernie had drawn up. They sacked Mick.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I don't get the Bonds fascination. Must've been amazing to see live, but the recordings sound like a sloppy/exhausted band.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

coffeepotman wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 1:25pm
bazarboy75 wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 4:15am
Well i'm working on new Clash remix at the moment....

Now that is something to be excited about!
Thx mate
Stay tuned !

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Inder wrote:
21 Jan 2017, 3:35am
I don't get the Bonds fascination. Must've been amazing to see live, but the recordings sound like a sloppy/exhausted band.
More about the legend of the shows and the band being at their peak I guess. I'm sure you can find better shows, but I think Bonds would make the most sense for an archive release that would also appeal to more casual fans. Personally, I really enjoy the Bonds shows but I also don't delve into non-soundboard boots too deep.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

21 Jan 2017, 12:13am
After Combat Rock, they toured a lot. Joe did Hell W10. Mick did some demos, including Trans Cash Free Whatever. Bernie said they should learn to play New Orleans music. Mick's lawyer didn't like the new contract Bernie had drawn up. They sacked Mick.
Did they ever actually play the New Orleans music or at least have some demo / ideas or was it just Bernie talk?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
21 Jan 2017, 4:57pm
Inder wrote:
21 Jan 2017, 3:35am
More about the legend of the shows and the band being at their peak I guess. I'm sure you can find better shows, but I think Bonds would make the most sense for an archive release that would also appeal to more casual fans. Personally, I really enjoy the Bonds shows but I also don't delve into non-soundboard boots too deep.
I do enjoy the shows too, but I'd agree several of those performances were on the sloppy side, bordering at times on plain incoherence. I much prefer the 82 shows, particularly the summer US tour which I think are a bit under-rated. I reckon they had it pretty well together around that time.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
21 Jan 2017, 5:47pm
21 Jan 2017, 12:13am
Did they ever actually play the New Orleans music or at least have some demo / ideas or was it just Bernie talk?
It's an interesting idea. I think regardless of how they pulled it off, the critics would have mauled them for it which is a decent enough reason to want it to have happened!

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

The pro-mixed "Bonds 81" CD that popped up several years ago (I think it we speculated it was a likely a Sony listening tape?) is a pretty good substitute for an official release.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

And, speaking of product, I had no idea that The Clash Hits Back existed until like 10 minutes ago. Overtaken by the boxset, I guess.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Inder wrote:
21 Jan 2017, 7:59pm
And, speaking of product, I had no idea that The Clash Hits Back existed until like 10 minutes ago. Overtaken by the boxset, I guess.
Weren't they realised about the same time?