How about some new Clash "product" for 2017

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Re: How about some new Clash "product" for 2017

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

101Walterton wrote:
21 Jan 2017, 10:11pm
Inder wrote:
21 Jan 2017, 7:59pm
And, speaking of product, I had no idea that The Clash Hits Back existed until like 10 minutes ago. Overtaken by the boxset, I guess.
Weren't they realised about the same time?
Released on the same day.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

101Walterton wrote:
21 Jan 2017, 5:47pm
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
21 Jan 2017, 12:13am
After Combat Rock, they toured a lot. Joe did Hell W10. Mick did some demos, including Trans Cash Free Whatever. Bernie said they should learn to play New Orleans music. Mick's lawyer didn't like the new contract Bernie had drawn up. They sacked Mick.
Did they ever actually play the New Orleans music or at least have some demo / ideas or was it just Bernie talk?
Mick says they did try, and that it wasn't a bad idea. I don't know my more than that.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

22 Jan 2017, 12:45am
101Walterton wrote:
After Combat Rock, they toured a lot. Joe did Hell W10. Mick did some demos, including Trans Cash Free Whatever. Bernie said they should learn to play New Orleans music. Mick's lawyer didn't like the new contract Bernie had drawn up. They sacked Mick.
Did they ever actually play the New Orleans music or at least have some demo / ideas or was it just Bernie talk?
Mick says they did try, and that it wasn't a bad idea. I don't know my more than that.
You don't know if they were covers or whether they were working on any songs?

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

101Walterton wrote:
To me "Long time jerk" is in this New Orléans vibe

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

bazarboy75 wrote:
22 Jan 2017, 6:36am
101Walterton wrote:
To me "Long time jerk" is in this New Orléans vibe
Perhaps that is where they got the idea from? It is quite leftfield so something must have sparked it.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Wasn't Long Time Jerk written way before they got those orders from Bernie? And a Simonon song to boot?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

As far as live shows go I really want a cleaned up pro recorded Mogodor!

The Baker
Dirty Punk

Post by The Baker »

"Live At The Lewisham Odeon 1980"!!!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Inder wrote:
21 Jan 2017, 3:35am
I don't get the Bonds fascination. Must've been amazing to see live, but the recordings sound like a sloppy/exhausted band.
They seem like a few notches below those May Euro dates which I always come back to. There are a handful of highlights each show and the 10th and 13th shows are pretty strong, but they aren't ones I come back to too often. I would be very interested in a proper Clash on Broadway film not just for seeing them live, but also documentation of New York City in 81, particularly the nascent hip hop scene. I think that would be really cool.

Of course if we ever get anything, it will probably just be a pro mixed June 9th set (I'm just dying to hear that off key acapella Washington Bullets again :rolleyes: ) with the COB trailer we already got.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

matedog wrote:
23 Jan 2017, 11:09am
Inder wrote:
21 Jan 2017, 3:35am
I don't get the Bonds fascination. Must've been amazing to see live, but the recordings sound like a sloppy/exhausted band.
They seem like a few notches below those May Euro dates which I always come back to. There are a handful of highlights each show and the 10th and 13th shows are pretty strong, but they aren't ones I come back to too often. I would be very interested in a proper Clash on Broadway film not just for seeing them live, but also documentation of New York City in 81, particularly the nascent hip hop scene. I think that would be really cool.

Of course if we ever get anything, it will probably just be a pro mixed June 9th set (I'm just dying to hear that off key acapella Washington Bullets again :rolleyes: ) with the COB trailer we already got.
And hopefully they can bring in Terry to overdub all drumming.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
22 Jan 2017, 4:33pm
Wasn't Long Time Jerk written way before they got those orders from Bernie? And a Simonon song to boot?
Paul wrote that? Weird.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

How much decent quality video exists from the Bond's shows? Is there enough to paste together a complete show?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2017, 9:02pm
Heston wrote:
22 Jan 2017, 4:33pm
Paul wrote that? Weird.
It's one weird-ass song. I think it was Paul's music.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

I'm all for a 40th anniversary release of the self titled.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Chuck Mangione wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 2:58pm
I'm all for a 40th anniversary release of the self titled.
It's a no brainer for them to re-release the albums and round up singles, rarities, live stuff etc with each release. Loads of bands are doing it, it is basically a business model now for "heritage" bands. Problem is that I don't think the interest is there from Paul and Mick.

What I really want is their live appearances rounded up on a DVD like the Complete Jam. It's a farce the way their filmed live output has been treated.