Recutting the Crap: 2017 Record Store Day Exclusive

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: Recutting the Crap: 2017 Record Store Day Exclusive

Post by laxman »

Ha, this is brilliant, I hope you accept the challenge!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Do it now.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

101Walterton wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 4:03pm
Do it now.
Do EET now.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Yeah, Are You Red..Y was also one of the better tracks.

Between IMCT's "tribute" and this one, I think there's a blueprint for how to do a CtC cover album the right way.
For sure. Actually, I dug back in, listened again, and Are You Red..Y was definitely one that grabbed me more than the first time around...as is so often the case with these sorts of things (tribute albums, or whatever you wish to call 'em).

Slickgonzalez
Dirty Punk

Post by Slickgonzalez »

Not sure what everyone else was expecting, but I actually enjoyed this. Bought two copies for posterity. Would have been cool if they had (In the) Pouring Rain as a bonus track :)

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

All this CTC talk got me to listening to the live 84 shows and even live the songs just weren't there. This is England is a gem and I like Dictator and Ammunition but the rest....still don't like them, no matter who does them.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

coffeepotman wrote:
03 May 2017, 5:43pm
All this CTC talk got me to listening to the live 84 shows and even live the songs just weren't there. This is England is a gem and I like Dictator and Ammunition but the rest....still don't like them, no matter who does them.
This is why you don't sack the man who writes the tunes, no matter how late he is for rehearsals.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
03 May 2017, 6:28pm
coffeepotman wrote:
This is why you don't sack the man who writes the tunes, no matter how late he is for rehearsals.
Dr. Meston.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

coffeepotman wrote:
The live versions show you the promise of what could have been. IMHO.

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

Slickgonzalez wrote:
03 May 2017, 2:07pm
Not sure what everyone else was expecting, but I actually enjoyed this. Bought two copies for posterity. Would have been cool if they had (In the) Pouring Rain as a bonus track :)
I would think that (In the) Pouring Rain has to show up on Vol. 2

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

coffeepotman wrote:
I don't even like Dictator live. The album version is at least interesting because it's shockingly awful. The new songs on Dope are pretty much my jam. Add Jericho/Ammunition and an April 84 rendition of TIE and that's about all the new live Clash 2 tracks I need.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

matedog wrote:
04 May 2017, 9:52am
coffeepotman wrote:
I don't even like Dictator live. The album version is at least interesting because it's shockingly awful. The new songs on Dope are pretty much my jam. Add Jericho/Ammunition and an April 84 rendition of TIE and that's about all the new live Clash 2 tracks I need.
My choice of Dictator would be the album version too, it's so terrible that it nearly quite works or something absurdist like that. When I saw them live in '84, I remember leaving the concert thinking Are You Redy was a very promising tune and I still quite like the demo version of it. I'd add North and South and Cool Under Heat (sans the horrible chorus) and you pretty much have anything of note covered.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

This is England
Three Card Trick
North and South
Movers and Shakers (though the lyrics are dumb)
Are You Red...Y. (maybe)

That's a third of a maybe semi-decent Clash album in theory and, for me, nowhere near as good as the five best songs in the so oft-criticized Combat Rock, plus the filler is much worse. There's no specificity in the lyrics to the several other songs that are just sloganeering. I was surprised at the time Joe couldn't do better.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Never heard this before:

It's basically the same as the "dub" version without some synths and the bass mixed lower.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

matedog wrote:
05 May 2017, 4:50pm
Never heard this before:

It's basically the same as the "dub" version without some synths and the bass mixed lower.
Sounds like a better quality rip from the single.