new complete February 25, 1982, Hong Kong

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: new complete February 25, 1982, Hong Kong

Post by JohnS »

Many thanks to the 2 poets! One for transferring the tapes and sharing, and the other for taping the show all those years ago.
I even enjoy the 20-minute delay at the start, with its will-they-or-won't-they-get-started tension. True live broadcasting chaos.
Who'd have imagined a radio station would devote the best part of 3 hours of airtime to a live gig?
A great find.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

mcintyrepoet
Dirty Punk

Post by mcintyrepoet »

Unlike poet351 I'm no poet (just a relative of the Scottish poet Duncan Ban Mcintyre, no idea why I came up with it for a moniker!) and its all thanks to him for bringing this great tape into circulation. Its been a pleasure though to work on it and thanks to Dad late night party taxi duties I've edited it down to fit on 2 cdrs with some very minor non musical edits

Here's the link to the edited wav files

https://mega.nz/#F!TgBBVAoA!1i5IF79yHoGIqH0sdBvNxw

No sound processing only normalized to optimal. I think the sound was well mixed for the radio broadcast. I've used the new tapes for all except end of Charlie and Police & Thieves where for some reason one channel goes almost dead. Both are very similar sound quality but the original was pushed hard with processing and sounds better initially as hiss is removed but that loses a little of the top end. I'm pleased with the results so wanted to share.

Listening to it today this was the band at one of their creative peaks. Working my way through the Terry 82 tours for for bmc I'd partly forgotten just what a huge difference Topper made, here at the almost end of his time with the band, to the invention and musicality of the band. Jimmy Jazz for example here is a total joy with all the band delivering to the max to produce a knock out piece of music which is Clash jazz but surely jazz (and certainly a world away from mainstream rock music).

Re-reading my review of the original recording I really under-rated this show and about time I said sorry for all those times you've disagreed with a review on bmc ! Music thank God is purely subjective and I'm sure I would change my assessment if I re-did many of them. My eldest was a baby when Graham first suggested I review the tapes I had had up in the loft for years and she's nearly 18 now! We hope one day to get a book of the site out still and of course one of the joys of being a Clash fan is when new treasures like this emerge.

Hope one day the pro recorded Melbourne whole show surfaces and some of the Sydney 7 nights - incredible there's not some kind of bootleg from those dates out there somewhere.

I'm very glad poet 351 was there to press the record button back in the day and capture this one for posterity!

Peter

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Thanks again to everyone. This show is top notch.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Excellent work Peter - many thanks for this. I was hoping this show would get this treatment eventually but thought it might take weeks!
I quite agree with all the Topper praise. He really is at the top (sorry) of his game here - fluid, and playing all round the kit with real 'swing' and feel for the songs.
Plus Joe's really on fire with all the chat and ad libs. I like in Mag 7 - 'Cheeseburger.... and ONE PORTION OF NOODLES'
Best Clash find for years. Hope there's more to come one day

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

This is brilliant. Massive thanks to those for doing the work and for sharing it. Love live 82 Clash, pity it checks out during Washington Bullets as it gets interesting but thats only a minor quibble.

One thing that maybe not shocked but surprised me is during the intro when the presenter mentions some of the crowd wearing Nazi armbands. I'm not aware that was ever a noticeable feature of Clash gigs and certainly not in Hong Kong in '82, surprised she didn't make more of that to be honest.

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

Spanish Bombs here kicks ass. A really hard and fast version, with Mick and Joe sharing vocals the whole way through. Spanish Bombs is usually one of those songs that is really good live, but this one is a top one to me. You can tell they love playing this song.

mcintyrepoet
Dirty Punk

Post by mcintyrepoet »

Missing CD 1 BNC now uploaded

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

mcintyrepoet wrote:
22 May 2017, 2:46am
Missing CD 1 BNC now uploaded
Cheers. Good catch, well spotted, etc etc.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

Hi all

I worked on the new surfaced tape (thx for all involved !!)
Taped From AM = Some high treble frequencies don't exist
Anyway i tried my best

Here it is 4 tracks (links avaible 7 days)

Test it and tell me what you think

https://we.tl/yvbnUn5NQM

Cheers !

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

JohnS wrote:
21 May 2017, 3:31pm
Excellent work Peter - many thanks for this. I was hoping this show would get this treatment eventually but thought it might take weeks!
I quite agree with all the Topper praise. He really is at the top (sorry) of his game here - fluid, and playing all round the kit with real 'swing' and feel for the songs.
Plus Joe's really on fire with all the chat and ad libs. I like in Mag 7 - 'Cheeseburger.... and ONE PORTION OF NOODLES'
Best Clash find for years. Hope there's more to come one day
Here you go, mate :D Also thanks to everyone who worked on this!

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

bazarboy75 wrote:
23 May 2017, 9:31am
Hi all
Anyway i tried my best
Cheers !
Sounds pretty good to me. There's a bit of muddy/squelch-iness perhaps but the overall sound is much beefier compared to the original.
And great artwork, threecoffins :mrgreen:

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

Awesome work bb75! Sounds great :)

Thanks John and yeah when I googled "clash noodles" and that pic of MJ came up I knew what I had to do haha!

poet351
Corner Soul

Post by poet351 »

bazarboy75 wrote:
23 May 2017, 9:31am
Hi all

Anyway i tried my best

Cheers !
Great work... a definite improvement... "beefier" as JohnS said. Any chance of doing this for the whole concert?

poet351
Corner Soul

Post by poet351 »

Awesome artwork, threecoffins! Brilliant googling and album title!

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »