The Clash live in 1983

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Clash live in 1983

Post by Dr. Medulla »

white man wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 11:54am
laxman wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 11:13am
pachyderm wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 8:33am
where are we listening to this at?
Well I'm at home ;)

Tucson, Arizona.
Has JoJo returned from California yet?
*big guffaw*
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

pachyderm
Dirty Punk

Post by pachyderm »

Heston wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 11:51am
pachyderm wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 8:33am
where are we listening to this at?
YouTube is the most convenient for me these days. Plenty stuff on this channel...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPkRa2 ... 1Ow/videos
cheers!

lazy on my part. although i thought there may have been a hard copy of a bootleg. ;)

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

It's not a live peak by any means, but certainly an interesting chapter. I definitely prefer the 83 shows to the Terry Tour though. They threw in a lot of songs they hadn't played before. The occasional train wreck Wichita Falls show rivals the Roxy show in terms of most interesting setlist they've ever done. I don't prefer Pete to Topper, but after hearing Topper play WMHP the same way 1000 times (with some minor variations on the outro), it was refreshing to hear Pete's take. I can say that for a number of songs actually - Somebody Got Murdered, Armagideon, Straight to Hell, etc. The shows don't have the same fire as the best Clash shows though, at least not until the meltdown US festival.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

pachyderm
Dirty Punk

Post by pachyderm »

matedog wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 10:39am
It's not a live peak by any means, but certainly an interesting chapter. I definitely prefer the 83 shows to the Terry Tour though. They threw in a lot of songs they hadn't played before. The occasional train wreck Wichita Falls show rivals the Roxy show in terms of most interesting setlist they've ever done. I don't prefer Pete to Topper, but after hearing Topper play WMHP the same way 1000 times (with some minor variations on the outro), it was refreshing to hear Pete's take. I can say that for a number of songs actually - Somebody Got Murdered, Armagideon, Straight to Hell, etc. The shows don't have the same fire as the best Clash shows though, at least not until the meltdown US festival.
i saw them in '85 on the Cut The Crap tour at Vanderbilt U. actually a great show.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

pachyderm wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 9:31pm
matedog wrote:
i saw them in '85 on the Cut The Crap tour at Vanderbilt U. actually a great show.
I assume you mean 84 when they did their US tour. Interestingly, blackmarketclash doesn't have a specific show listed at Vanderbilt, but has one listed as Nashville in "venue unknown" (http://cluster1.website-staging.uk/blac ... DATES.html) on March 27, 1984. Does that sound right? Do you have any info on the specific venue it was held? I'd like to relay the info to the website so they can fill out that entry. Any thoughts on the show?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

John Pemberton
Corner Soul

Post by John Pemberton »

They played in Nashville March 27 at Memorial Gym and March 28 in Knoxville at Alumni Gym

pachyderm
Dirty Punk

Post by pachyderm »

matedog wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 10:04am
pachyderm wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 9:31pm
matedog wrote:
I assume you mean 84 when they did their US tour. Interestingly, blackmarketclash doesn't have a specific show listed at Vanderbilt, but has one listed as Nashville in "venue unknown" (http://cluster1.website-staging.uk/blac ... DATES.html) on March 27, 1984. Does that sound right? Do you have any info on the specific venue it was held? I'd like to relay the info to the website so they can fill out that entry. Any thoughts on the show?
must have been!

i thought cut the crap came out in '85.

mick was gone by this tour. i seem to remember thatthey did stuff off of cut the crap ... maybe not though.

sonnyburnit
Junco Partner

Post by sonnyburnit »

Did you lot hear the Wichita Falls upgrade/new transfer from master that was posted over at Dime? Sounds really nice!

pachyderm
Dirty Punk

Post by pachyderm »

John Pemberton wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 1:08pm
They played in Nashville March 27 at Memorial Gym ...
yup. that is the gym vanderbilt basketball plays in.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

sonnyburnit wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 9:21am
Did you lot hear the Wichita Falls upgrade/new transfer from master that was posted over at Dime? Sounds really nice!
No, but I would be interested in hearing it. Any chance of an upload, good sir?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

sonnyburnit
Junco Partner

Post by sonnyburnit »

I'll try to upload it within a week or so... I normally use 4shared to upload to... is that ok with you?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

sonnyburnit wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 10:18pm
I'll try to upload it within a week or so... I normally use 4shared to upload to... is that ok with you?
Fine by me mate.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

sonnyburnit
Junco Partner

Post by sonnyburnit »