First bootleg you heard

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: First bootleg you heard

Post by white man »

New York Palladium 1979. Think i was a bit spoilt, as it was SBD and i thought all boots would be this good. Imagine my surprise.

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

I seem to remember buying a few tapes from someone selling boots in the back of the NME/Sounds - the Agora Ballrom 1979 and New Jersey 1980 were standouts and always on my deck. The first physical vinyl boot I got was a copy of 'Up And At 'Em' (Paris live 1981) that I bought in the queue waiting to see one of the Casbah Club shows at the Brixton Fair Deal in July 82, a warped but at least a playable copy.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

My first was called Police (and Fireman) on my Back and I think it was the Agora 1979, totally blew me away. I remember I had to mail away to NY for it and it took forever to arrive. Might have been red vinyl, don't remember

lanini66
Dirty Punk

Post by lanini66 »

Impossible Mission live in Italy 81, the one with the cover stolen from Killing Joke first LP, bought in real time (late spring 81). a messed-up, hissy, echo-friendly beautiful record. I still have it.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 6:12pm
Hammersmith Odeon, 27 Dec 79. Bought this one for around $50 in 1988 or so. Don't recall specific impressions, but I wasn't especially wowed by it, but that can be almost entirely attributed to the fact that at that time I preferred studio versions by any band.
My first as well, (sometime in 1980) and was blown away by it. I realized later that it ran a bit fast (Inder sent me the speed corrected version on the old board). Still can't believe the multi-tracks haven't been released or even discovered. Fucking Chris Thomas and Bill Price producing/engineering? Does sound get any tougher? And they were only able to release one bloody song from the gig?
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 5:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 6:12pm
Hammersmith Odeon, 27 Dec 79. Bought this one for around $50 in 1988 or so. Don't recall specific impressions, but I wasn't especially wowed by it, but that can be almost entirely attributed to the fact that at that time I preferred studio versions by any band.
My first as well, (sometime in 1980) and was blown away by it. I realized later that it ran a bit fast (Inder sent me the speed corrected version on the old board). Still can't believe the multi-tracks haven't been released or even discovered. Fucking Chris Thomas and Bill Price producing/engineering? Does sound get any tougher? And they were only able to release one bloody song from the gig?
The pro-audio Bankrobber and London Calling leaked a couple of years back.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9976&hilit=blockheads
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Kory wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 7:14pm
My first was technically Rat Patrol, but the first live one was 9.21.79 at the Palladium. As I recall, it blew me away. It would be many more years before I'd learn to hate them.
Mine was the Palladium gig too, on a cassette from some long-gone record shop in Edinburgh, bought in 1983 I believe. Mind you, I'd 'bought' a Supertramp live bootleg disc from a girlfriend and paid way over the top at a fiver in 1980 for something which I don't think I was ever able to play once. I knew someone with a second hand record shop and he flogged it for £12, giving me half and leaving me with enough profit for couple of beers!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

dave202 wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 11:49am
Kory wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 7:14pm
My first was technically Rat Patrol, but the first live one was 9.21.79 at the Palladium. As I recall, it blew me away. It would be many more years before I'd learn to hate them.
Mine was the Palladium gig too, on a cassette from some long-gone record shop in Edinburgh, bought in 1983 I believe. Mind you, I'd 'bought' a Supertramp live bootleg disc from a girlfriend and paid way over the top at a fiver in 1980 for something which I don't think I was ever able to play once. I knew someone with a second hand record shop and he flogged it for £12, giving me half and leaving me with enough profit for couple of beers!
It's hard to shake a stick at that. I hope the beers were good!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Used to buy a shit ton of live tapes from two guys in Kensington Market. My first Clash tape was probably the Polydor demos which also had some GEER demos and those two versions of Heartbreak Hotel which were really just Joe and guitar recorded back in his 101ers days in Orsett Terrace '75. The next tape was the Palladium '79. My first vinyl Clash bootleg was the one with a drawing of Mick Jones holding a dead guy in his hand.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

The first I heard was Spunk which I then bought off the guy who had it.
I think the first Clash boot I heard was GEED.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Or could have been Golden Bullets (or something like that)?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 6:06am
Yeah Spunk and Indecent Exposure were my first two vinyl bootlegs. Then the Clash stuff.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 6:10am
101Walterton wrote:
Yeah Spunk and Indecent Exposure were my first two vinyl bootlegs. Then the Clash stuff.
I also had a Slaughter and the Dogs boot in a plain white sleeve with stencil on front (very similar to cover of Spunk) don't know what happened to it though.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 6:13am
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 6:10am
101Walterton wrote:
I also had a Slaughter and the Dogs boot in a plain white sleeve with stencil on front (very similar to cover of Spunk) don't know what happened to it though.
Where Have All the Bootlegs Gone? ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

101Walterton wrote:
Thought this was just Clash related :huh: . In that case Spunk was my first then NY 1979 first live Clash.