The last time you heard CtC.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
101Walterton
The Best

Re: The last time you heard CtC.

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 7:18pm
This is 2017, just listen to it on YouTube...

Wanted the whole album to listen to in the gym. Need something to make me angry 😫

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 8:31pm
Kory wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 4:18pm
Flex wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 3:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 3:47pm
Inder wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 3:45pm
Crooked Beat transcribed:

duh-duh-duh-duh-duuuh duh-duh-de-duuh
ffffwap
duh-duh-duh-duh-duuuh duh-duh-de-duuh
fffffwap ffffwap
chikkkachikkkachikkkachikkkachikkka

staht the cah let's make a midnight won
acwoss the rivuh to saaf lon-don

☠️☠️☠️
Put that way, maybe it's pretty cool.
Extremely glad to see Inder is making my own case in this thread.
Paul has said a number of times that the basslines he came up with would invariably turned into reggae songs by the rest of the band, and that if he had more musical knowhow, he'd have directed them in a more rocking fashion. Now, this song was obviously meant to be a reggae song, so what songs is he talking about? Did he write the music to RAD? Are there other songs that Paul was instrumental in composing that we don't know about?
According to the Complete Clash song book (which breaks down the writing credits), he is on quite a bit of stuff from 1980 onward.
That was more due to the group adopting an egalitarian attitude toward credits, though, wasn't it? I vaguely recall something about that from LGIT.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 11:07pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 3:47pm

Put that way, maybe it's pretty cool.
Paul has said a number of times that the basslines he came up with would invariably turned into reggae songs by the rest of the band, and that if he had more musical knowhow, he'd have directed them in a more rocking fashion. Now, this song was obviously meant to be a reggae song, so what songs is he talking about? Did he write the music to RAD? Are there other songs that Paul was instrumental in composing that we don't know about?
According to the Complete Clash song book (which breaks down the writing credits), he is on quite a bit of stuff from 1980 onward.
That was more due to the group adopting an egalitarian attitude toward credits, though, wasn't it? I vaguely recall something about that from LGIT.
No, the credits are split.into all kinds of combinations.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
15 Aug 2017, 2:45am
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:

Gotta look into this. Is it PDFed online anywhere?

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

Is this Heston's review? ;)
CTC.jpg
CTC.jpg (49.01 KiB) Viewed 2945 times
Joining the Street Parade

Heston

Post by Heston »

deny wrote:
15 Aug 2017, 1:17pm
Is this Heston's review? ;)

CTC.jpg
That has to be Bernie.

:ugeek:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
15 Aug 2017, 1:12pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:

Not sure. I've mislaid my copy but from memory...Mick has no credit on a few songs, Rebel Waltz included. Paul has a writing credit for Mag 7 but not Mag Dance. I can only surmise he helped out on the lyrics?

The credits have to be legit, there is too many combinations. I think the collective "The Clash" credit was used for purposes of the sleeve but the publishing would have been divvied out according the credits.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Heston wrote:
15 Aug 2017, 6:43pm
Kory wrote:
15 Aug 2017, 1:12pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:

Not sure. I've mislaid my copy but from memory...Mick has no credit on a few songs, Rebel Waltz included. Paul has a writing credit for Mag 7 but not Mag Dance. I can only surmise he helped out on the lyrics?

The credits have to be legit, there is too many combinations. I think the collective "The Clash" credit was used for purposes of the sleeve but the publishing would have been divvied out according the credits.
There's some info on ASCAP.

EDIT: That's weird, it used to show many more songs. You might have to search again.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

No way did Joe work out the opening guitar run of Rebel Waltz; his guitar playing was about passion, not expertise. That's pure Mick and is a huge chunk of the song. The chords are within Joe's composing wheelhouse and the tune, while majestic, isn't as hook-y as Mick would do. So, of course, the lyrics are pure Strummer and the evidence points to the melody coming from the black stratocaster, but a good 30ish% of the the runtime is Mick atmospherically noodling out the clean echoes of ascending and descending notes. So I reckon Jones should have got some of the credit.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 Aug 2017, 7:00pm
No way did Joe work out the opening guitar run of Rebel Waltz; his guitar playing was about passion, not expertise. That's pure Mick and is a huge chunk of the song. The chords are within Joe's composing wheelhouse and the tune, while majestic, isn't as hook-y as Mick would do. So, of course, the lyrics are pure Strummer and the evidence points to the melody coming from the black stratocaster, but a good 30ish% of the the runtime is Mick atmospherically noodling out the clean echoes of ascending and descending notes. So I reckon Jones should have got some of the credit.
Publishing rules are usually top line melody (vocal melody) and lyrics.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Heston wrote:
15 Aug 2017, 7:05pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Yes, it's a little unfair. Ray Davies is a master for Waterloo Sunset, but the song would be less great without the sha-la-las, as contributed by one of the non-Dave bandmembers.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
So if that's the case, then it wouldn't shed much light on my curiosity about the basslines. Why can't the world care more about DCT?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 Aug 2017, 7:08pm
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Yes, it's a little unfair. Ray Davies is a master for Waterloo Sunset, but the song would be less great without the sha-la-las, as contributed by one of the non-Dave bandmembers.
This is why Andy Summers gets no songwriting royalties for "I'll Be Missing You", even though his guitar line (which he wrote) is sampled throughout the song. And Sting makes millions from it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
15 Aug 2017, 7:11pm
it wouldn't shed much light on my curiosity about the basslines. Why can't the world care more about DCT?
There's your answer, fishbulb.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Oh, fuck yes, Kevin MacDonald is the funniest person in the world.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/