Mohawk Revenge Live 1984

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Mohawk Revenge Live 1984

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 6:42pm
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 5:51pm
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 2:47pm
Low Down Low wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 8:37am
It's a good production Marky, though musically it doesn't do much for me. I find myself wading through too much crap and then, with Pouring Rain, realising that, hey, this band could still play. Ammunition isn't bad, somewhere there's a good song in there, trying desperately to get out.
A lot has been made of "This Is England" being the last great clash song but for me "Three Card Trick" and "In the Pouring Rain" are fine songs.
Never understood the fuss about Pouring Rain, with such a cliché as lyric hook, but do rate Three Card Trick, and prefer the "ska" version to the earlier "rock" one. It was Mick himself who blessed This is England as the one great song from CTC.
I like Pouring Rain but never got the overt praise. Some nice guitar hooks but the vocal melody is nothing to write home about, and like you say, the main lyrical hook is a bit hackneyed. Maybe if I heard a studio version...
Yeah I'm not declaring it to be a masterpiece but there was promise enough (with work) for it to become a fine track.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 4:53pm
Thanks as always Marky. A clean up of the demos now and I think you have the 3CD deluxe box set sorted, perhaps with a bonus DVD of Simonon's break dancing?
:mrgreen:

Yeah I'm going to rework those demos (again). Watch this space.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 7:10pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
It's a good production Marky, though musically it doesn't do much for me. I find myself wading through too much crap and then, with Pouring Rain, realising that, hey, this band could still play. Ammunition isn't bad, somewhere there's a good song in there, trying desperately to get out.
A lot has been made of "This Is England" being the last great clash song but for me "Three Card Trick" and "In the Pouring Rain" are fine songs.
Never understood the fuss about Pouring Rain, with such a cliché as lyric hook, but do rate Three Card Trick, and prefer the "ska" version to the earlier "rock" one. It was Mick himself who blessed This is England as the one great song from CTC.
I like Pouring Rain but never got the overt praise. Some nice guitar hooks but the vocal melody is nothing to write home about, and like you say, the main lyrical hook is a bit hackneyed. Maybe if I heard a studio version...
Yeah I'm not declaring it to be a masterpiece but there was promise enough (with work) for it to become a fine track.
I really like it. Dont mind the hackneyed lyric, its rock n roll after all. I think it is way better than anything else the Clash did post-Mick. There isnt the same grating wall of sound you get in a lot of their other live tracks and Joe's vocal delivery is perfect, tender and under-stated. Dont mind that there isn't a studio version as I seriously doubt they'd have improved it. And I do believe This is England is a truly great song, but never thought much of any of the live versions I've heard.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Yeah that kinda made me chuckle in the documentary when Mick says it just needed his input. If only he had not been pushed aside. It's laughable really when one of the claims is Mick was sacked for bringing in a synth to rehearsals. Then Bernie covers the album in synths.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 7:20pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I really like it. Dont mind the hackneyed lyric, its rock n roll after all. I think it is way better than anything else the Clash did post-Mick. There isnt the same grating wall of sound you get in a lot of their other live tracks and Joe's vocal delivery is perfect, tender and under-stated. Dont mind that there isn't a studio version as I seriously doubt they'd have improved it. And I do believe This is England is a truly great song, but never thought much of any of the live versions I've heard.
"In the Pouring Rain" could've been CtC's "Straight to Hell" of course not in the same league but in feel maybe.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 7:27pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

"In the Pouring Rain" could've been CtC's "Straight to Hell" of course not in the same league but in feel maybe.
Not a bad shout. I always like it when Joe takes it down a notch during live shows. The StH from FHTE is quite possibly the best thing the Clash ever did.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 2:39pm
Silent Majority wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 10:03am
Thanks very much, I'm listening today as I take care of some shit. Will report back.
The correct term is "take care of crap". :mrgreen:
This is excellent. Thanks so much for your great hard work. I'm going to consider this the first Joe Strummer solo album. Not being a big listener of post-Mick live shows (or live shows that much anyway) my big surprise is how much I like Dictator on here.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 4:46am
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 2:39pm
Silent Majority wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 10:03am
Thanks very much, I'm listening today as I take care of some shit. Will report back.
The correct term is "take care of crap". :mrgreen:
This is excellent. Thanks so much for your great hard work. I'm going to consider this the first Joe Strummer solo album. Not being a big listener of post-Mick live shows (or live shows that much anyway) my big surprise is how much I like Dictator on here.
Thanks mate glad you enjoy it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 4:53pm
Thanks as always Marky. A clean up of the demos now and I think you have the 3CD deluxe box set sorted, perhaps with a bonus DVD of Simonon's break dancing?
:mrgreen:

Yeah I'm going to rework those demos (again). Watch this space.
Excellent!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 7:24pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Yeah that kinda made me chuckle in the documentary when Mick says it just needed his input. If only he had not been pushed aside. It's laughable really when one of the claims is Mick was sacked for bringing in a synth to rehearsals. Then Bernie covers the album in synths.
Hello,

Where could I find the ska version of Three Card Trick? For what it's worth, I prefer the ska version of Bankrobber although that may put me in the minority here.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Sorry for being unclear. The "ska" version of Three Card Trick is like the one on the CTC album, or the '85 live shows. Mr. Knowles and others differentiated it from the earlier "rock" version," which they preferred.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Edit: Repeat post.

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Aug 2017, 3:20pm
Came so close to calling this "From Hell to Eternity".

https://mega.nz/#!KxFilbTJ!VFp6qXLhElM3 ... rpIsrx2kzI
So pity i’ve lost this one too…

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Stefano1972 wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 8:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:

Only 5 years too late.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 4:59am
Stefano1972 wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 8:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:

Only 5 years too late.
Sigh… i’ve discovered this website only one year ago. But, anyway thanks for all the other remasters i’ve already taken. Florence 81 where i’ve added a short Mick interview at the end, Brixton 82, Amsterdam 81 and many others 🙏

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung