Marky Dread Remasters

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Marky Dread Remasters

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 10:26am
Silent Majority wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 8:15am
Earthquake Weather is as good as it will ever be now. The issues are in the songwriting and performance, which are both timid and shrinking back from the spotlight when they should be crowdsurfing. However, this mix is a brilliant salvage job. It's a shame that nobody's giving Mark the original tracks so he can bring the vocals even further higher in the mix, but with the tools at his disposal, I can't even describe the improvement. Wiping the instrumental murk away reveals some really tight rhythms that Strummer lacked the confidence to show off. The best moments of the original LP - Island Hopping, Shouting Street, Ride Your Donkey, and now, for the first time, Sleepwalk can sit comfortably in a playlist wth the Mescaleros without embarrassment. That last one is vital, because in this remix, I think I've been gifted a new Joe Strummer song. And the additions which were always great (Cholo Vest, 15th Brigade) are clearer and more present. Cholo Vest is fucking incredible. It's the sound of bitter, self-scalding, weaponised insecurity. A human emotion, powerful and consuming that art tends to leave be.

I think Marky's done Joe a huge favour here.
Can you link the EW link? I seemed to miss it when Marky first completed it.
You don't read that thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11476&start=15#p489189 :shifty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Earthquake Weather is as good as it will ever be now. The issues are in the songwriting and performance, which are both timid and shrinking back from the spotlight when they should be crowdsurfing. However, this mix is a brilliant salvage job. It's a shame that nobody's giving Mark the original tracks so he can bring the vocals even further higher in the mix, but with the tools at his disposal, I can't even describe the improvement. Wiping the instrumental murk away reveals some really tight rhythms that Strummer lacked the confidence to show off. The best moments of the original LP - Island Hopping, Shouting Street, Ride Your Donkey, and now, for the first time, Sleepwalk can sit comfortably in a playlist wth the Mescaleros without embarrassment. That last one is vital, because in this remix, I think I've been gifted a new Joe Strummer song. And the additions which were always great (Cholo Vest, 15th Brigade) are clearer and more present. Cholo Vest is fucking incredible. It's the sound of bitter, self-scalding, weaponised insecurity. A human emotion, powerful and consuming that art tends to leave be.

No.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 11:09am
matedog wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

No.
:lol:
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 10:30am
matedog wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Great, multiple Marky remaster threads.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 11:09am
matedog wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

No.
:fuck:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Last edited by Marky Dread on 19 Jan 2021, 8:12am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 3:26pm
matedog wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 11:47am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 10:30am
matedog wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Great, multiple Marky remaster threads.
Stop groaning or I'll start another one. ;)
BTW, top notch job with the remaster.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Last edited by Marky Dread on 19 Jan 2021, 8:12am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Last edited by Marky Dread on 19 Jan 2021, 8:13am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Last edited by Marky Dread on 19 Jan 2021, 8:13am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Just gave EW a spin, lovely crisp remastering job Marky. The guitars seem punchier, and like Maj says, Sleepwalk is definitely the biggest improvement.

Shame most of the songs still disappoint all these years later, and the buried vocals render the few successes nearly unsalvageable. Why the hell did the Clash, Joe and Mick seem to have so many production/mixing problems throughout their collective career? I think only London Calling, Megatop Phoenix and Global are albums that you can say are unequivocally well produced and mixed from their whole oeuvre. I sometimes fantasize about the Clash's whole output recorded with the CoL EP/London Calling production.

Anyway, another great job Marky, looking forward to you hopefully getting back into the saddle with more remastering jobs.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

A couple of the do-nothing rockers were definitely worth pulling out of the bin here, though. The ones where the titles all bleed together. You know, Spraycan Angel on A Hot Tin Roof, Crying Meteorite Ragtime, Bruce Springsteen Motorway. Those songs in the middle of Earthquake Weather.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 6:50pm
A couple of the do-nothing rockers were definitely worth pulling out of the bin here, though. The ones where the titles all bleed together. You know, Spraycan Angel on A Hot Tin Roof, Crying Meteorite Ragtime, Bruce Springsteen Motorway. Those songs in the middle of Earthquake Weather.
I've already forgot how they went. I honestly couldn't hum Passport To Detroit right now if someone had a gun at my head, and I've been listening to it (admittedly intermittently) for nearly 30 years.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Liquid Room, Tokyo. October 1st 2002. Flac & Mp3 320 in the rock art file.

This is absolutely brilliant! This is my favorite Joe show of them all, even better than the show's I saw at St. Anns....Just fantastic! Everybody should have this in their collection.

This is why I was so let down by Streetcore

Thank you so much Marky!