The Clash version of "Fire and Skill"!

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Clash version of "Fire and Skill"!

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 9:13pm

For the band without Mick then I think Espace Ballard, Paris is a great listen. I will be remastering at some stage but I'm real busy with others at the moment.
I'd love to hear this. I was never into the boot that's around. I don't remember if it was a speed issue or what that bugged me.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Kingston Dub....never heard that this might exist...fingers crossed that it appears someday

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 10:43am
shit. That's intriguing.

I'm trying to think what would make sense for Sony to put out. I'd love to see deluxe versions of all albums, but there doesn't seem to be much interest in that, even internally. Most of the few outtakes they have were released in the box, though we know things like "Blonde Rock and Roll" still haven't seen the light of day, officially. I'd love to see them do what Bruce finally started doing recently, putting out live shows on the cheap on Nugs.net or some format. Give them a decent mix job (ie, more than those horrid sounding live tracks from the Box) and then put them up for sale. No big promo push necessary. That being said, I don't know if there would be enough interest in the project to make it commercially viable, even with the smaller budget that approach would entail. Bruce is an active artist who still tours regularly, so there is ongoing interest in his live material, especially archival. Grateful Dead still has a lot of interest in their live back catalog, but that's pretty much all they were known for. The Clash are pretty much known for "London Calling" the album, SISOSIG, and Rock the Casbah, for all intents and purposes. Sure, you have that popular live footage of Clampdown and IFTL, but I just don't think there is much value to the company in pushing live archival releases. Anyone know how well Shea sold?

Lastly, they have to have the Lewisham multitracks. They grabbed Cap Radio and Armagideon Time for FHTE in 99. And English Civil War and Jimmy Jazz leaked around this time too with FHTE 2 bootleg (i'm assuming around that time, I don't really know much about the history of FHTE 2).
It was mystifying how little care was taken with these, they were all over the place mix-wise.

I just think they should do what bands like The Jam, XTC and countless others have done. Release deluxe editions of each album and round up all the b-sides, demos and odds and sods from that era, and preferably package them with a live show from that time. I can slightly understand a lack of interest from the band, but why don't they let someone they trust take the project on? You can't tell me it wouldn't be financially viable because much lesser acts than the Clash are in on this.

I've always thought the Clash have neglected their legacy a bit, see the shoddy live DVD releases for evidence. What was needed was something in the vein of the Complete Jam, where they round up every appearance they can put their hands on, and make it a labour of love. Other bands of their ilk seem to be treated with care and respect befitting their status, but other than Sound System, us Clash fans seem to have been a bit short-changed.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I have comprehensive archival releases by significantly more obscure bands that manage to put out good legacy product. Teddy has made it pretty clear that Mick & co. have no interest in engaging in these sorts of exercises, and fair enough, but it's still worth the occasionally lamenting since The Clash surely deserve the kind of treatment to their catalog that, say, Negative Approach has enjoyed.

Even with its flaws, I still remember the happiness and excitement the Sound System box elicited. Wouldn't mind seeing that again.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 1:01pm
I have comprehensive archival releases by significantly more obscure bands that manage to put out good legacy product. Teddy has made it pretty clear that Mick & co. have no interest in engaging in these sorts of exercises, and fair enough, but it's still worth the occasionally lamenting since The Clash surely deserve the kind of treatment to their catalog that, say, Negative Approach has enjoyed.

Even with its flaws, I still remember the happiness and excitement the Sound System box elicited. Wouldn't mind seeing that again.
Word.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 10:57pm
Low Down Low wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 10:51pm
Paris 1980 is indeed a great shout, I fucking love that show. This is what I watch over and over and over:

I watched it only just last week. Got the DVD and it's a great energetic show.
DVD, eh? Where might others get their hands on such a physical product?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 10:38pm
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 9:50pm
The Clash have nowhere near the live vault the Jam has. They have pre-broadcast tapes for Jaap Edenhal ‘81 and Jamaica ‘82, and multi-tracks for Lyceum ‘79, two Bonds shows and the two from Boston ‘82. I’m not sure why the multi-tracks for the Concert For Kampuchea have never turned up, unless they are legally unavailable. I don’t think they have the complete Lewisham. Other broadcasts include Cleveland ‘79 and Chicago ‘79, neither of which sound great, and the Palladium in New York. That’s about it. The U.S. Festival is likely impossible. You all know no official release will include a show without Mick. Does anyone know if the Leicester ‘77 show was really recorded by the BBC, or is just a soundboard a bootlegger got hold of?
It's alleged when Johnny Green helped Mick move flat he helped himself to one of Mick's cassette tapes and then passed it onto a friend who in turn gave it to a bootlegger to press the vinyl album. I think Mick's tape was most likely a mixing desk tape. The BBC only had AM mono transmissions during the seventies so who knows.
The BBC had FM in the seventies on some channels, chiefly for classical and MOR stuff. However,. Radio One used the Radio Two FM facility for certain broadcasts, most notably In Concert and Sight And Sound In Concert which was broadcast at the same time as a TV set on BBC2. The John Peel Show, from 10pm to midnight was also in FM, and the Friday Night Rock Show which replaced his slot on the 2nd February 1979 (don't ask why I know the date, it is very sad).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Speculation/curiosity: How much does Joe's death factor into the band's lack of interest in bing more active caretakers in their legacy? If he were still with us, would the others regard the Clash as something meriting more celebration, or does Joe cast a bit of a shadow on all that? If he were all up for getting these shows cleaned up and released, would the others join in, or would he have been facing the same reticence?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 1:01pm

Mick has gone on record stating he would not work on any further Clash releases, correct? I don't know how much Joe's death has cast a shadow of Mick and Paul and the gang and how closely they want to dig into that legacy. That is an interesting point that I've never thought about. I would have to imagine that not having him around plays into it, but even if he was still with us - I'm not convinced we'd have any more product than we already have.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 1:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Paris 1980 is indeed a great shout, I fucking love that show. This is what I watch over and over and over:

I think you'll need to look for a secondhand copy Kory. It's sold out and is going for silly money or at least people are trying to sell for silly prices. There's one here for £25,00.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clash-Live-Par ... e+in+paris

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

dave202 wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 1:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 10:38pm
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 9:50pm
The Clash have nowhere near the live vault the Jam has. They have pre-broadcast tapes for Jaap Edenhal ‘81 and Jamaica ‘82, and multi-tracks for Lyceum ‘79, two Bonds shows and the two from Boston ‘82. I’m not sure why the multi-tracks for the Concert For Kampuchea have never turned up, unless they are legally unavailable. I don’t think they have the complete Lewisham. Other broadcasts include Cleveland ‘79 and Chicago ‘79, neither of which sound great, and the Palladium in New York. That’s about it. The U.S. Festival is likely impossible. You all know no official release will include a show without Mick. Does anyone know if the Leicester ‘77 show was really recorded by the BBC, or is just a soundboard a bootlegger got hold of?
It's alleged when Johnny Green helped Mick move flat he helped himself to one of Mick's cassette tapes and then passed it onto a friend who in turn gave it to a bootlegger to press the vinyl album. I think Mick's tape was most likely a mixing desk tape. The BBC only had AM mono transmissions during the seventies so who knows.
The BBC had FM in the seventies on some channels, chiefly for classical and MOR stuff. However,. Radio One used the Radio Two FM facility for certain broadcasts, most notably In Concert and Sight And Sound In Concert which was broadcast at the same time as a TV set on BBC2. The John Peel Show, from 10pm to midnight was also in FM, and the Friday Night Rock Show which replaced his slot on the 2nd February 1979 (don't ask why I know the date, it is very sad).
Yes you are correct mate they (Radio 1) were only allocated FM instead of Radio Two on Saturday Afternoons, Sunday Evenings (1 Hour initially), Weekday evenings (10pm to Midnight) and UK Bank Holidays.

Radio One changed from AM to FM in 87/88.

I'm not convinced however that the tape is from the BBC especially after the fiasco regarding the Peel seesion they were meant to do. I think this tape (ahem) borrowed from Mick is a mixing desk/soundboard tape.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 1:50pm
Speculation/curiosity: How much does Joe's death factor into the band's lack of interest in bing more active caretakers in their legacy? If he were still with us, would the others regard the Clash as something meriting more celebration, or does Joe cast a bit of a shadow on all that? If he were all up for getting these shows cleaned up and released, would the others join in, or would he have been facing the same reticence?
Great question but difficult to answer unless from the horses mouth. I feel they have been very respectful of Joe's memory regards to any releases we've had up until now. This is why I believe we have not seen a cleaned up "Rat Patrol" release.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 10:46am
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 9:13pm

For the band without Mick then I think Espace Ballard, Paris is a great listen. I will be remastering at some stage but I'm real busy with others at the moment.
I'd love to hear this. I was never into the boot that's around. I don't remember if it was a speed issue or what that bugged me.
I was contacted earlier by a guy who has the original tape of this show and has offered to send it to me to compare with what's already available and if needed to works some magic on.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 2:29pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I think you'll need to look for a secondhand copy Kory. It's sold out and is going for silly money or at least people are trying to sell for silly prices. There's one here for £25,00.

Snagged it, thanks! This will also be the motivation I need to finally buy a PAL Bluray player.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 3:13pm
Marky Dread wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 2:29pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Snagged it, thanks! This will also be the motivation I need to finally buy a PAL Bluray player.
Nice one!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia