The Clash version of "Fire and Skill"!

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

The Clash version of "Fire and Skill"!

Post by WestwayKid »

Long time listener, first time poster! I’ve done a lot of listening to The Jam’s “Fire and Skill” set and I was wondering what would a Clash version look like?

The Jam set is really well done (in my opinion). I like that it serves as both a historical document – you can trace the evolution of the band by how their live shows developed (there is 1 show for the 6 years of their existence) and as a seriously good collection of live gigs.

The shows sound minimally (if at all) processed. They’re rough at times. Weller’s voice is sometimes lost in the mix, but it “feels” real.

I would personally love if Sony were to give us a similar set, but I don’t think anything is in the works, so what if we were to build one on our own?

1 show per year, but what years would be covered? 1977 through 1982, but what about 1983-1985? You would have to have the classic Mick years, but I also feel there is a point to including the post Mick years, too.

I’d say the show chosen would have to have decent fidelity, but also be indicative of where the band were at that point in their career.

I think there are some obvious choices. 1976 would probably have to the Roundhouse show. 1977 would probably be De Montfort Hall, but what about going forward? I have some ideas in mind, but I’m curious to know yours.

So, here is the task at hand. If you had to pick 1 show per year (1976 through 1985) to include on a live box set, what would you pick? Also, what would you call the set?

The Clash came alive on stage. I think they would be well served by a career spanning live box. Let’s DIY one!!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: The Clash version of "Fire and Skill"!

Post by Inder »

Hmm... for starters, I'd pick —

Cleveland 1979
Milan 1981
Either Troy or Kent State 1982
US Fest 1983

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Cleveland is an great sounding show...even if Joe forgets the name of the Vietnam vet they were raising money for! ;)

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I'll add...

Amsterdam 81
Stanley Theatre 82

The problem is lack of soundboard recordings of the truly exceptional gigs.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 10:57am
Also, what would you call the set?

The Clash came alive on stage. I think they would be well served by a career spanning live box. Let’s DIY one!!
The Only Band That Ever Mattered.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Interesting concept that I don't think we've really explored here. I'll throw out my dream box and a realistic box, confirmed soundboards only

Dream box:
1977-05-28 Leceister
1979-02-13 Cleveland
1980-02-18 Lewisham
1981-05-10 Amsterdam
Uhh, 1982-11-27 Jamaica - I could do without any Terry shows to be honest
1983-05-28 - US Fest
1984-05 - any of the shows Nick recorded that he used for GEED would be great

Realistic box:
1977-05-28 Leceister
1979-01-03 Lyceum
1980-02-18 Lewisham - god I hope we'd actually get this fucker
1981-06-09 Bonds
Uhh, 1982-10-?? Shea - Whichever date they've already released
1983-05-28 - US Fest

I can't see Sony actually even getting the 1977 tapes and probably have forgotten about Lewisham. Same for US festival, I'm not sure they have the rights to. Also, supposedly Mickey Foote recorded a bunch of 76-77 shows. If those were available, that could make this interesting. You could add an early 76 show, maybe the 1977 New Years Day show. 1978 is still a black hole for soundboards though. They could throw a bunch of those fake live Rude Boy recordings if they felt like they had to.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

The Jam box obviously benefits from having some really good soundboards from some really good shows.

I'm under no illusion that Sony would ever bless us with something like this, so more of a DIY exercise for me: try and create something with the available recording we have.

I'd go with:

1976 - The Roundhouse: Yes, not a soundboard...but an interesting document of a very young band.
1977 - De Montfort/Leicester
1978 - Lyceum
1979 - Cleveland
1980 - Hammersmith Palais or the Capitol/New Jersey show??
1981 - Milan (or maybe Lyceum)??
1982 - Shibuya/Tokyo
1983 - US Festival

I know not all are soundboards and there is some variation in quality - but I think these are all fantastic shows.

I really wouldn't go past 1983 - though part of me does feel bad dismissing the Jones-less band. I guess I haven't done enough listening to those shows to really have an opinion if they should be included.

The Only Band That Mattered - great title!

I find that when I now listen to The Jam - I go for that set over even the studio albums. The band sounds - for the most part - on fire throughout. There are some bands that just really came alive on stage - The Clash being one of those groups. Yes, very ragged at times - but playing live was so essential to their existence.

I'll keep listening and tinkering - but eventually I hope to have my own version of a great Clash live set - telling their story from the early days to the bitter end!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 6:06pm
I really wouldn't go past 1983 - though part of me does feel bad dismissing the Jones-less band.
Don't feel too bad. Some of them would just as readily slit your throat as have a pint with you.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 6:06pm
The Jam box obviously benefits from having some really good soundboards from some really good shows.

I'm under no illusion that Sony would ever bless us with something like this, so more of a DIY exercise for me: try and create something with the available recording we have.

I'd go with:

1976 - The Roundhouse: Yes, not a soundboard...but an interesting document of a very young band.
1977 - De Montfort/Leicester
1978 - Lyceum
1979 - Cleveland
1980 - Hammersmith Palais or the Capitol/New Jersey show??
1981 - Milan (or maybe Lyceum)??
1982 - Shibuya/Tokyo
1983 - US Festival

I know not all are soundboards and there is some variation in quality - but I think these are all fantastic shows.

I really wouldn't go past 1983 - though part of me does feel bad dismissing the Jones-less band. I guess I haven't done enough listening to those shows to really have an opinion if they should be included.

The Only Band That Mattered - great title!

I find that when I now listen to The Jam - I go for that set over even the studio albums. The band sounds - for the most part - on fire throughout. There are some bands that just really came alive on stage - The Clash being one of those groups. Yes, very ragged at times - but playing live was so essential to their existence.

I'll keep listening and tinkering - but eventually I hope to have my own version of a great Clash live set - telling their story from the early days to the bitter end!
For the band without Mick then I think Espace Ballard, Paris is a great listen. I will be remastering at some stage but I'm real busy with others at the moment. Personally and no disrespect to my man Dave202 I don't like that title and never have. Loads of bands have mattered to me through the years and it just sounds kind of big headed and arrogant. Your idea of a live boxset is great and we've been crying out for one for years. Matedog is right though about getting a complete Lewisham release the stuff we have so far is stunning soundwise and performance wise. I also would love a full release of the Rock for Kampuchea gig from the Hammersmith Odeon.

How about "From Camden Town Station to 44th & 8th"
Last edited by Marky Dread on 20 Sep 2017, 9:19pm, edited 2 times in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I hear you on the title, but I think depends on how you look at it. That phrase is forever attached to them, but yes - I agree. Lots of bands have mattered very much in my life.

What if we called it: "Ignore Alien Orders: The Clash Live"? ;)

I have not listened to the show you referenced, but I will very soon.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

1981 has to be Jaap Edenhall. Nothing comes close.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 9:17pm
I hear you on the title, but I think depends on how you look at it. That phrase is forever attached to them, but yes - I agree. Lots of bands have mattered very much in my life.

What if we called it: "Ignore Alien Orders: The Clash Live"? ;)

I have not listened to the show you referenced, but I will very soon.
That's not a bad title.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 9:20pm
For a complete genuine show that would be great. SonBurns remaster was great and I did one as well where we mixed in the missing tracks.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

The Clash have nowhere near the live vault the Jam has. They have pre-broadcast tapes for Jaap Edenhal ‘81 and Jamaica ‘82, and multi-tracks for Lyceum ‘79, two Bonds shows and the two from Boston ‘82. I’m not sure why the multi-tracks for the Concert For Kampuchea have never turned up, unless they are legally unavailable. I don’t think they have the complete Lewisham. Other broadcasts include Cleveland ‘79 and Chicago ‘79, neither of which sound great, and the Palladium in New York. That’s about it. The U.S. Festival is likely impossible. You all know no official release will include a show without Mick. Does anyone know if the Leicester ‘77 show was really recorded by the BBC, or is just a soundboard a bootlegger got hold of?

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Heston wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 9:20pm
Good shout!

And how about this show for 1980 —