Unseen (?) 4 Clash itw

Clash clash clash. Β‘VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Unseen (?) 4 Clash itw

Post by bazarboy75 »

Hi !
Nothing really interesting
But never seen this before

101Walterton
The Best

Re: Unseen (?) 4 Clash itw

Post by 101Walterton »

Watched Tiswas religiously as a kid 😊

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

101Walterton wrote: ↑
23 Sep 2017, 5:23am
Great show, wasn't it? Definitely better than Swap Shop!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

laxman wrote: ↑
23 Sep 2017, 7:39am
I liked Swap Shop. We didn't get Tiswas up here (Tyne Tees) until the last series.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Heston wrote: ↑
23 Sep 2017, 8:30am
I liked Swap Shop. We didn't get Tiswas up here (Tyne Tees) until the last series.
I was meaning Swap Shop was no good, it just wasn't as good as Tiswas in my view. I can't remember if they still had all the originals for the final series. Was Lenny Henry still on it?

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

It's a good clip.

The Clash (Joe and Paul at least) also appeared on an earlier Tiswas in 1978 (where they were put in the cage?), wouldn't mind seeing that. It was either November or December 1978, Sally James mentions ' the last time you were here...'.

25/11/1978 or 10/12/1978? (Series 5) [Episode details]
The Clash
Elton John
Child
Dave Bartram (Showaddywaddy)
Bill Gask (Showaddywaddy)

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

23 Sep 2017, 11:39am
23 Sep 2017, 8:30am
I was meaning Swap Shop was no good, it just wasn't as good as Tiswas in my view. I can't remember if they still had all the originals for the final series. Was Lenny Henry still on it?
Didn't realise how posh Sally James sounded. Who was the other male presenter with Chris Tarrant in the early series?

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiswas

Looks like I didn't get the first few series in Granada land and I only have the vaguest recollection of Den Hegarty hosting the final series, so I mustn't have bothered watching that.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Slightly off topic, but there is a photo in Redemption Song of Joe appearing on a BBC program called "Don't Quote Me" alongside Rick Wakeman. Does footage of that exist or can anyone at least give me some background. Must have been an interesting exchange! The photo itself is great. Joe looks quite chipper and cleaned up - big smile on his face...while Wakeman looks glowering and shaggy!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

WestwayKid wrote: ↑
25 Sep 2017, 12:54pm
Slightly off topic, but there is a photo in Redemption Song of Joe appearing on a BBC program called "Don't Quote Me" alongside Rick Wakeman. Does footage of that exist or can anyone at least give me some background. Must have been an interesting exchange! The photo itself is great. Joe looks quite chipper and cleaned up - big smile on his face...while Wakeman looks glowering and shaggy!
Sadly never seen it, still a 'Wanted'.

Shown on 20 May 78 'Don't Quote Me' on BBC2 with Rick Wakeman. This was the Rock, Pop and Press episode presented by Brian Redhead, he of Sex Pistols anti-punk TV fame in Dec 76. Joe Strummer is interviewed, Series 3, 30 minute episodes

Heston

Post by Heston »

Toppers Boppers wrote: ↑
25 Sep 2017, 3:16pm

Shown on 20 May 78 'Don't Quote Me' on BBC2 with Rick Wakeman. This was the Rock, Pop and Press episode presented by Brian Redhead, he of Sex Pistols anti-punk TV fame in Dec 76. Joe Strummer is interviewed, Series 3, 30 minute episodes
It will no doubt have been "wiped" by the BBC due to their policy of reusing videotape well into the 80s.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

25 Sep 2017, 3:19pm

It will no doubt have been "wiped" by the BBC due to their policy of reusing videotape well into the 80s.
One of the biggest travesties in all of popular culture.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" β€”Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote: ↑
25 Sep 2017, 8:04pm

I mean, come on, how did they not have the foresight to think people might want to watch the Beatles on Top of the Pops at some point in the future. Not to mention all those Doctor Who episodes...

And to think it took until 1978 for some bright spark to consider archiving their material. 1978!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

26 Sep 2017, 1:25am

I mean, come on, how did they not have the foresight to think people might want to watch the Beatles on Top of the Pops at some point in the future. Not to mention all those Doctor Who episodes...

And to think it took until 1978 for some bright spark to consider archiving their material. 1978!
At least once a week I think about how lucky I am that the Pythons were able to buy their tapes back.

The BBC is subsidized by the government, isn't it? Were they wiping because they didn't have enough money to buy new tape all the time?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" β€”Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

26 Sep 2017, 12:22pm
26 Sep 2017, 1:25am

At least once a week I think about how lucky I am that the Pythons were able to buy their tapes back.

The BBC is subsidized by the government, isn't it? Were they wiping because they didn't have enough money to buy new tape all the time?
Basically, yes...

http://mentalfloss.com/article/501607/w ... wn-history