No show...Liberty theatre Mile End, Feb 1980

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
JINJER
Corner Soul

No show...Liberty theatre Mile End, Feb 1980

Post by JINJER »

Hi, newbie here, i've searched this site to avoid double posts and wanted to ask did anyone else have tickets for this no show?
Four of us came down from Leeds, staying at a mates in Forest hill, 19yrs old visiting London for the first time, hairy days.
We arranged to meet in a pub round the corner from this theatre, we had 2hrs to spare, we found out as we got our first pint that it was full of NF thugs, seig heiling skinheads every where, it was the scariest 2hrs of my life, can anyone remember the name of the pub?
If I remember correctly there didn't appear anymore pubs in the vicinity. We found out shortly before the start that Topper had "broken his arm", we couldn't wait to get back to the sanity of the west end.
Was it genuine that Topper had broken his arm or was it something more "powder" related?
Cheers

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: No show...Liberty theatre Mile End, Feb 1980

Post by Low Down Low »

You should check out blackmarketclash.co.uk, although there's not a whole lot of info about those postponed gigs apart from a reprinted poster and ticket stub. I think it was genuine that Topper broke his hand but entirely plausible that it was in the midst of some drugs-related dispute that was never made public.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BMC says thumb stabbed with scissors during drug altercation which also seems a little off. Definitely didn’t break his arm or finger as he was only out of commission for about a week.

Thanks for the story and welcome aboard.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

You would have been close to Victoria Park.
You only have to watch Rude Boy to see some of the pleasant locals in that humble neighbourhood.

JINJER
Corner Soul

Post by JINJER »

matedog wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 8:04am
BMC says thumb stabbed with scissors during drug altercation which also seems a little off. Definitely didn’t break his arm or finger as he was only out of commission for about a week.

Thanks for the story and welcome aboard.
Cheers matedog.