The Call Up Promo Video

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

The Call Up Promo Video

Post by WestwayKid »

Just watched this last night. Had not seen it in a long, long time. A very "interesting" look for the group. Topper looks like he just exited a Spitfire. Paul looks like a stylized South American guerrilla fighter (though as one YouTube comment said, he "looks effortlessly cool"). Mick looks to be some sort of crazy Wild West figure (I think)? Is that a cheetah print serape? Joe might be the most conventional looking of the 4. He does appear to have a vintage military headset around his neck. Topper appears to be appear to be playing inside some sort of bunker...though on closer inspection it looks like the frame (minus the canvas cover) from the back of troop transport truck.

If I'm not mistaken, it was filmed in a warehouse owned by Chris Farlowe - who collects military gear and equipment?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Call Up Promo Video

Post by matedog »

Certainly not their best single, video, or look.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Although I think its a hugely inferior song I do think something like Police on my Back would have made more sense as a single. Otherwise Call Up is Clash top 20 material for me, maybe even pushing top 10. Wonder how Paul feels mock playing to another guy's bass line though!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 11:34am
Although I think its a hugely inferior song I do think something like Police on my Back would have made more sense as a single. Otherwise Call Up is Clash top 20 material for me, maybe even pushing top 10. Wonder how Paul feels mock playing to another guy's bass line though!
I think Paul played on the Call Up.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Another case of the promo poster being better than the record

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 12:22pm
Low Down Low wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 11:34am
I think Paul played on the Call Up.
Ah ok, stand corrected. Always had it down as a Watt Roy production for some reason.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I actually rank the A-side of this single quite highly (and love that promo piece). The video is a bit, uh, dated.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Really like the song but never a single in a million years. I actually quite like the video.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Woulda made more sense around the Falklands, but the Clash couldn't have known that
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 2:01pm
Woulda made more sense around the Falklands, but the Clash couldn't have known that
Or could they have?!?!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

The YouTube comment: "Paul is effortlessly cool" kind of made the whole viewing experience for me!

Wikipedia (not that you can trust Wikipedia) has Norman Watt-Roy listed as playing bass on that track.

I trust you guys over Wikipedia, however! :mrgreen:

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Wasn't it Chris Farlowe’s costume collection they picked through?

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 3:44pm
I thought it was an entire military collection owned by Chris Farlowe - vehicles, uniforms and equipment. If you google him he was trading in medals and stuff back in the 60s even when he was active as a singer.
And the cover shot for Sandinista - with Mick in the GI helmet - was taken in an alleyway nearby, I recall.
For a band that loved dressing up, they must have thought their Christmases had come early on that video shoot :mrgreen:
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JohnS wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 3:51pm
I thought it was an entire military collection owned by Chris Farlowe - vehicles, uniforms and equipment. If you google him he was trading in medals and stuff back in the 60s even when he was active as a singer.
And the cover shot for Sandinista - with Mick in the GI helmet - was taken in an alleyway nearby, I recall.
For a band that loved dressing up, they must have thought their Christmases had come early on that video shoot :mrgreen:
Sounds like Farlowe had/has a pretty decent military collection (just Googled it). Makes it a little more interesting if you think they just got to pick through his stuff and figure out what they wanted to wear.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

JohnS wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 3:51pm
Album cover was shot near St Pancras/King's Cross train stations on Camley st. underpass. Here's a streetview of the location:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.