Any tracks Joe did NOT play on?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: Any tracks Joe did NOT play on?

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 7:06pm
WestwayKid wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 6:52pm
matedog wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 6:07pm
One epiphany I had from Route 19 was that Mick didn't write a lot of lyrics. Confirmed are: Janie Jones, 1, 2 Crush On You, Complete Control, Stay Free, Train in Vain, SISOSIG. A lot of Mick vocals are Joe lyrics which makes sense because the lyricist for Card Cheat certainly wasn't the same lyricist for BAD's catalog.
That is very interesting, but makes sense. Not to take anything away from Mick. Just that Joe was the lyric guy and Mick was the music guy. Both amongst the very best at what they did. I could envision times where Joe could pick up something from Mick’s life...Stay Free, for instance...and put it into words. Almost like Joe was an interpreter for Mick and a lot of other people. Just a great team: one guy could write killer words and the other guy could write killer music. I love ‘em both.
Sorry, I meant confirmed lyrics that Mick did write those songs I listed (Stay Free, for example). But Lost in the Supermarket, etc. are Joe lyrics.
Ahh! That makes sense. Curious to know about I’m Not Down. That has to be a Mick lyric.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

No one can live with Joe but I thought Mick did a helluva job on This Is BAD with the lyrics. I know Don wrote the E=MC2 lyric, but he admits to being Mick's lyrical apprentice around this time so Mick must have weighed in with quite a few. Whatever, they made a decent fist of it between them.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 7:39pm
No one can live with Joe but I thought Mick did a helluva job on This Is BAD with the lyrics. I know Don wrote the E=MC2 lyric, but he admits to being Mick's lyrical apprentice around this time so Mick must have weighed in with quite a few. Whatever, they made a decent fist of it between them.
Yep. I was just going to post about the lyrics on This Is BAD, mate. Every song is genius. Check out "A Party", folks (Don may or may not have contributed lyrically). Mick could certainly hold his own in the lyrics department. Still can (just listened to Carbon/Silicon's 'Last Post' with the b-sides; the man's in a league of his own as far as writing, and, yeah -lyrics too).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:
One epiphany I had from Route 19 was that Mick didn't write a lot of lyrics. Confirmed are: Janie Jones, 1, 2 Crush On You, Complete Control, Stay Free, Train in Vain, SISOSIG. A lot of Mick vocals are Joe lyrics which makes sense because the lyricist for Card Cheat certainly wasn't the same lyricist for BAD's catalog.
That is very interesting, but makes sense. Not to take anything away from Mick. Just that Joe was the lyric guy and Mick was the music guy. Both amongst the very best at what they did. I could envision times where Joe could pick up something from Mick’s life...Stay Free, for instance...and put it into words. Almost like Joe was an interpreter for Mick and a lot of other people. Just a great team: one guy could write killer words and the other guy could write killer music. I love ‘em both.
Sorry, I meant confirmed lyrics that Mick did write those songs I listed (Stay Free, for example). But Lost in the Supermarket, etc. are Joe lyrics.
What's the word on SGM? I always thought that was a Mick'er but now I'm not sure.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 12:42am
matedog wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:
What's the word on SGM? I always thought that was a Mick'er but now I'm not sure.
Joe.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 7:10pm
matedog wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:
Ahh! That makes sense. Curious to know about I’m Not Down. That has to be a Mick lyric.
Joe per Route 19 which cites handwritten lyrics in Joe's handwriting with revisions.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

What about Mick? Any Mick-less Clash tracks there or is such a thing even conceivable? Lose This Skin perhaps?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 3:05pm
What about Mick? Any Mick-less Clash tracks there or is such a thing even conceivable? Lose This Skin perhaps?
Red Angel Dragnet?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
All of Cut the Crap.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 3:19pm
Low Down Low wrote:
All of Cut the Crap.
Don't shoot the messenger, but it just proves they were better off without him.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Pretty sure Stop The World is just Joe and Topper

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 3:06pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Red Angel Dragnet?
Eh?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc