Sessionography?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Sessionography?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 4:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 4:44pm
A former friend refused to consider eBooks because he maintained that reading was also a tactile experience. Feeling the paper was vital. I shrugged. I can read paper, I can read off a screen. I'm just trying to get my eyes sync'd up with the words. I'm the same way with music. I just don't get any thrill beyond hearing the music itself.
There's some evidence that people have better concentration and retention, especially when navigating longer texts, when reading on paper vs digitally: https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... r-screens/
I've come across that argument before—actually, I think I've read that article you linked—and my curiosity is whether the decreased retention, etc. is tied to us learning to read on paper, that it's our formative medium. Would kids and adults who learned to read on tablets show better results? We're still a few years away from being able to test that notion.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 5:09pm
I've come across that argument before—actually, I think I've read that article you linked—and my curiosity is whether the decreased retention, etc. is tied to us learning to read on paper, that it's our formative medium. Would kids and adults who learned to read on tablets show better results? We're still a few years away from being able to test that notion.
Yeah, that's an intuitive explanation. It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out. I prefer paper because I've found the results of these studies to reflect my own processing abilities fairly neatly. I've been thinking of trying to split the difference with a true eReader rather than a tablet/computer screen since I wouldn't mind unloading some of my book collection.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 4:29pm
I'd like to do this for space, but there's too much visceral pleasure from looking at the insert as I pull it off the shelf (especially a box set made with superb materials).
A former friend refused to consider eBooks because he maintained that reading was also a tactile experience. Feeling the paper was vital. I shrugged. I can read paper, I can read off a screen. I'm just trying to get my eyes sync'd up with the words. I'm the same way with music. I just don't get any thrill beyond hearing the music itself.
Plus with digi files it's just a list of titles rather than colored spines and so I lose track of where I am and there's the perception of too much choice. It's much harder to look at the whole collection at once when your list starts at "A" every time.
Put iTunes into Album mode, so you see the album covers on the screen, and start scrolling—fast or slow—and something grabs your eye.

The older I get, the less romantic I get about the consumption of culture. And I could well be shutting myself off from different aspects of experience because of it—such as the tactile with reading or the visual with listening to an album—but it's just not important to me. Every time I play a lossy song, Neil Young hits another bum note.
I disapprove of iTunes. It's a bad experience.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 8:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 4:29pm
I'd like to do this for space, but there's too much visceral pleasure from looking at the insert as I pull it off the shelf (especially a box set made with superb materials).
Plus with digi files it's just a list of titles rather than colored spines and so I lose track of where I am and there's the perception of too much choice. It's much harder to look at the whole collection at once when your list starts at "A" every time.
Put iTunes into Album mode, so you see the album covers on the screen, and start scrolling—fast or slow—and something grabs your eye.

The older I get, the less romantic I get about the consumption of culture. And I could well be shutting myself off from different aspects of experience because of it—such as the tactile with reading or the visual with listening to an album—but it's just not important to me. Every time I play a lossy song, Neil Young hits another bum note.
I disapprove of iTunes. It's a bad experience.
It's a bloated piece of software, reflecting the fact that Apple should have been broken up a long time ago, but I'm past my days of hunting down third-party software that does a better job. Back in the 90s, I had my Macs customized with all kinds of freeware and shareware. Just can't be bothered anymore. So, clumsy as iTunes is, it's what I use because it means less shit than I need to think about for operating all the Apple gadgets we have.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Sessionography is certainly a great idea, it can be used to solve many doubts. For example when it was recorded "London's Burning" (live) b-side of Remote Control? Beaconsfield recordings: they are often referred to as 26 April 977, but according to BMC on that date the band was on tour in France....
Music is the only thing that matters

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Red Angel wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 11:51am
Sessionography is certainly a great idea, it can be used to solve many doubts. For example when it was recorded "London's Burning" (live) b-side of Remote Control? Beaconsfield recordings: they are often referred to as 26 April 977, but according to BMC on that date the band was on tour in France....
I’ve made some initial attempts, but so hard to find good info.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 6:35pm
Red Angel wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 11:51am
I’ve made some initial attempts, but so hard to find good info.
Maybe Teddy can ask Mick if he kept a diary?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I've just been working at laying out a very simple spreadsheet of info for each track. S! is where it starts to get confusing because the recording sessions were all over the place.

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Good job! I'm very curious to see the result.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I had the kids last weekend - so no progress - but so many gaps to fill in. Like I said earlier - kind of okay until you get to Sandinista! and then it is hard figuring out what was recorded when and where.

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

I think that an important aspect is to know who plays and what on every song. For example, on Capital Radio EP Wikipedia (and others) writes Terry Chimes on drums, while the official website writes: ....this EP included Capital Radio, the first song to feature drummer Topper Headon :huh: . Curious is not it?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Red Angel wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 2:01pm
I think that an important aspect is to know who plays and what on every song. For example, on Capital Radio EP Wikipedia (and others) writes Terry Chimes on drums, while the official website writes: ....this EP included Capital Radio, the first song to feature drummer Topper Headon :huh: . Curious is not it?
Def Terry on the EP. I think the official website was the same site that celebrated the 25th anniversary of London Calling in 2010.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Yeah, Terry on Capital Radio 1.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Topper's first recording was CCR, if memory serves.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 6:39pm
Topper's first recording was CCR, if memory serves.
CC surely?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board