Question about the Out of Control demos

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Question about the Out of Control demos

Post by Heston »

I'm having a bit of a debate with someone on Facebook as to when they were recorded and if Vince played on them. My understanding was they're from Nov 83 and were made for the purpose of Vince learning the songs, as he joined around that time. Does anyone have a definite idea of the timeline of the demos being recorded/when Vince joined etc? Where did the Nov 83 tag originate from? Was it when CK kindly released the tapes to the board?

This fella on Facebook is also saying Vince claims to have written "Do It Now" and to have played on the demos in his book, I can't recall this at all. I lent out my copy of the book and never got it back, so I can't check.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: Question about the Out of Control demos

Post by Inder »

Yeah, the tape is from November '83 and Vince definitely isn't on it — I think it's just a regular rehearsal session, not especially made for Vince to learn from. Don't recall him him claiming to have written Do it Now/Out of Control in his book either.

The tapes came from Nick Sheppard.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Inder wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 3:38pm
Yeah, the tape is from November '83 and Vince definitely isn't on it — I think it's just a regular rehearsal session, not especially made for Vince to learn from. Don't recall him him claiming to have written Do it Now/Out of Control in his book either.

Thanks Inder, I'm pretty sure I would have remembered a momentous event like Vince writing a song.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 5:16pm
Inder wrote:

Thanks Inder, I'm pretty sure I would have remembered a momentous event like Vince writing a song.
He wishes he'd written something that he could call "White Riot."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 5:34pm
Heston wrote:
Inder wrote:

I was going to rewrite "White Riot" as an actual racist song and got as far as "black people cause a lot of problems" before deciding it was best to not go any further.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 8:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 5:34pm
Heston wrote:
Inder wrote:

I was going to rewrite "White Riot" as an actual racist song and got as far as "black people cause a lot of problems" before deciding it was best to not go any further.
Leave that to the footnotes of the Clash story, son.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft