Are You Red..Y Lyrics

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Are You Red..Y Lyrics

Post by Marky Dread »

Stefano1972 wrote:
05 Sep 2023, 1:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
05 Sep 2023, 12:53pm
Stefano1972 wrote:
05 Sep 2023, 10:30am
Song written at the height of the Cold War when NATO was installing the so-called Euromissiles in Western Europe.
I remember the demonstrations for Peace we held in Italy in front of the US/NATO military bases. When Joe came to Italy in September 1984, on the tour organized by the Italian Communist Party, he spoke to us about similar demonstrations in Great Britain, about the Greenham Common activists and how the English media tried to discredit them.
"Are You Red..Y", as well as CTC, in my opinion is very valuable from the point of view of sociopolitical commitment.
From a musical point of view, it was a shame that it fell apart on almost all sides.
Thanks Marky for this special work of reconstructing the lyrics. If I remember correctly, there were only two or three lyrics on the LP.
Yeah just Dictator, Three Card Trick and Movers and Shakers on the inner.

Interesting you mention the Greenham Common base and the protests there. GC is just outside my old home town of Reading so that hit home hard at the time. I've made some twelve inch mixes for the new box set and ironically on the sleeve to "Are You Ready For War?" there's a picture of an anti cruise missile march taking place in the Oxford Road in Reading a march I joined.
It will certainly be a job well done and I can't wait to hear it. Cheers Marky!
😎👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 2:13pm
matedog wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 1:46pm
I always thought it was “vodka chilled on a Kremlin bar”
So did I until I slowed down the vocal earlier. But it's definitely "seal".

Be your own judge. Here's that part of the vocal isolated and slowed down.

https://mega.nz/file/3uwSWDaS#NBN97lfUg ... QflvTwiX6s
I hear what you hear, though Joe wasn't always the best enunciator. Makes less sense this way, but if the board's biggest Are You Red...Y fan Heston buys off on it, then we can call it good.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
05 Sep 2023, 5:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:

I hear what you hear, though Joe wasn't always the best enunciator. Makes less sense this way, but if the board's biggest Are You Red...Y fan Heston buys off on it, then we can call it good.
I agree regards Joe's enunciation. However "chilled" and "seal" are quite different. I also think it makes sense. If the Vodka seal (the cap) is on the Kremlin bar then it means the bottle is open and in use.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Sep 2023, 5:53pm
matedog wrote:
05 Sep 2023, 5:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:

I agree regards Joe's enunciation. However "chilled" and "seal" are quite different. I also think it makes sense. If the Vodka seal (the cap) is on the Kremlin bar then it means the bottle is open and in use.
Ah, the UK/US differences.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Stefano1972 wrote:
05 Sep 2023, 10:30am
Song written at the height of the Cold War when NATO was installing the so-called Euromissiles in Western Europe.
I remember the demonstrations for Peace we held in Italy in front of the US/NATO military bases. When Joe came to Italy in September 1984, on the tour organized by the Italian Communist Party, he spoke to us about similar demonstrations in Great Britain, about the Greenham Common activists and how the English media tried to discredit them.
"Are You Red..Y", as well as CTC, in my opinion is very valuable from the point of view of sociopolitical commitment.
From a musical point of view, it was a shame that it fell apart on almost all sides.
Thanks Marky for this special work of reconstructing the lyrics. If I remember correctly, there were only two or three lyrics on the LP.
I'm sure I remember reading that the reason there were only three lyrics printed on the inside sleeve was because Joe did a runner and that was all they had. Even the official Complete Clash songbook only has an approximation of the other lyrics, so even the publisher never had them.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board