1982-10-23 Oakland / 1982-10-29 Los Angeles [Remastered]

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: 1982-10-23 Oakland / 1982-10-29 Los Angeles [Remastered]

Post by Marky Dread »

Stefano1972 wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 10:19am
Charlie Dont Surf wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 8:34am
Thanks Suzuki & Stefano, another great couple of shows to listen too
Eye catching cover indeed.. certainly got my attention!!

You pair are becoming very productive, :mrgreen:

Thanks again to all the board audio / artwork wizards keeping the band we all love alive and well.

CDS
thanks Neil!
I believe the spirit of a community should be based not on antagonism and competition but on sharing and mutual collaboration.
Well I'm in competition with no one. I've shared more than anyone here.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Post by Telecaster »

Thank you to the audio/video/artwork people who have generously shared their efforts on the board. I wish I had your skills.

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 12:32pm
Stefano1972 wrote:
Charlie Dont Surf wrote:

Thanks again to all the board audio / artwork wizards keeping the band we all love alive and well.

CDS
thanks Neil!
I believe the spirit of a community should be based not on antagonism and competition but on sharing and mutual collaboration.
Certainly! I don't think anyone denies the enormous contribution you have made to the growth of this community.
You shared with us all your passion for this never forgotten group that we all still miss enormously.
My words in response to Neil underlined precisely the importance of these values.
Cheers

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Stefano1972 wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 1:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:
Charlie Dont Surf wrote:

CDS
thanks Neil!
Certainly! I don't think anyone denies the enormous contribution you have made to the growth of this community.
You shared with us all your passion for this never forgotten group that we all still miss enormously.
My words in response to Neil underlined precisely the importance of these values.
Cheers
100% and it's great to see others remastering and making artwork. I'm only ever critical because of the shared love of the band. A lot of my remasters were done from scratch with little knowledge of how to do this stuff. So a big learning curve.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 1:59pm
Stefano1972 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:
Charlie Dont Surf wrote:

CDS
thanks Neil!
Cheers
100% and it's great to see others remastering and making artwork. I'm only ever critical because of the shared love of the band. A lot of my remasters were done from scratch with little knowledge of how to do this stuff. So a big learning curve.
the fact that you started this work before anyone else must make you really proud of the work you have done so far.
For me you were certainly an inspiration for those magnificent covers of yours. And, you know, I'm not saying this just to pay a compliment.
I wish you all the best

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Stefano1972 wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 2:09pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:

thanks Neil!
Cheers
the fact that you started this work before anyone else must make you really proud of the work you have done so far.
For me you were certainly an inspiration for those magnificent covers of yours. And, you know, I'm not saying this just to pay a compliment.
I wish you all the best
Thanks and appreciated. I started this because for years all we had was some poor sounding bootlegs and then downloads with very basic artwork. So I wanted to produce something a bit more professional looking and sounding that would give people some joy to keep.

Plus all those bootleggers that stuck a 1977 image on a 1982 show.
It's sometimes difficult to get a correct image from an exact show. But at least with some effort you can at the very least get the correct year and tour.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

SuzukiSamurai
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by SuzukiSamurai »

Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:
Charlie Dont Surf wrote:

CDS
thanks Neil!
Cheers
A very big learning curve. My first remasters were worse than the original recording, but I am very proud of where I am now. I'm sure I'll be saying the same thing in a years time about it, hah.

War on tape hiss!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

SuzukiSamurai wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 3:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:

thanks Neil!
Cheers
A very big learning curve. My first remasters were worse than the original recording, but I am very proud of where I am now. I'm sure I'll be saying the same thing in a years time about it, hah.
That's how it goes. But each time you'll learn something different. Another little trick that makes things easier. Plus each remaster is different to the last

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 2:14pm
Stefano1972 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Cheers
I wish you all the best
Thanks and appreciated. I started this because for years all we had was some poor sounding bootlegs and then downloads with very basic artwork. So I wanted to produce something a bit more professional looking and sounding that would give people some joy to keep.

It's sometimes difficult to get a correct image from an exact show. But at least with some effort you can at the very least get the correct year and tour.
One of the first bootlegs I bought was the vinyl edition of Lochem Festival. The cover photos were from 1984 and the sound was slowed down... then I remember "Clampdown USA" which, despite the terrible sound quality, I listened to continuously for months on end.
We could start a discussion about the worst bootlegs we've ever had. :mrgreen:

- Carl Gustav Jung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Stefano1972 wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 4:13pm
Marky Dread wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 2:14pm
Stefano1972 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:

Cheers
I wish you all the best

One of the first bootlegs I bought was the vinyl edition of Lochem Festival. The cover photos were from 1984 and the sound was slowed down... then I remember "Clampdown USA" which, despite the terrible sound quality, I listened to continuously for months on end.
We could start a discussion about the worst bootlegs we've ever had. :mrgreen:
I had this one.
Attachments
R-2043197-1320223163.jpg
R-2043197-1320223163.jpg (52.86 KiB) Viewed 584 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

Returning to the idea of the color of the covers, the choice of the "eye-catching” (or “very bright”) yellow is taken from the same color of the sticker that was attached to the Know Your Rights 45 rpm record.
I liked how the yellow combined with the predominant red in the photos and respected the graphic style of that period.
Then, obviously, any criticism or constructive suggestion is always welcome.
Attachments
IMG_8787.jpeg
IMG_8787.jpeg (116.25 KiB) Viewed 539 times

- Carl Gustav Jung

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 5:18pm
I had this one.
Wow, that cover is ... different. I've never seen it before. Was that the Palladium show?
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 7:54am
Marky Dread wrote:
I had this one.
Wow, that cover is ... different. I've never seen it before. Was that the Palladium show?
You would think so but no it was Lochem.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 9:48am
Olaf wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 7:54am
Marky Dread wrote:
I had this one.
You would think so but no it was Lochem.
:lol:
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Stefano1972 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 7:20am
Returning to the idea of the color of the covers, the choice of the "eye-catching” (or “very bright”) yellow is taken from the same color of the sticker that was attached to the Know Your Rights 45 rpm record.
I liked how the yellow combined with the predominant red in the photos and respected the graphic style of that period.
Then, obviously, any criticism or constructive suggestion is always welcome.
Yep I thought that sticker was the inspiration for your colour scheme.
This is not a criticism but just my honest opinion. As a sticker that requires to be eye-catching it works brilliant as something that stands out bold on another background. But as a sleeve it's too overbearing and too bold.
If you imaging that cover as a 12" album it would be just too much. If you compare the album covers none of them are as bold as that. Only GEER and CtC are bold colours depending on which CtC sleeve you get. But even those are not as bold as that sticker. If you had toned down the colours it would've worked so much better. The design itself is great. The font is a bit on the punk side of things and not one the Clash used other than seen on bootlegs.

Hopefully this is just positive constructive criticism. Some of the sleeves I've made I would produce 5 to 6 variants of different colours to see how combinations work best. I did try different fonts to distinguish the artwork as being mine as such. But realised sticking to ones used mostly on official releases looked best and more in keeping with the subject matter.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia