Strummer ad-libs

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Strummer ad-libs

Post by Kory »

I prefer drugs to not drugs.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 3:51pm
I hate being lectured about drugs by people who drink. I am a very moderate drug user (about 5 joints a week) but I think it's up to the individual what they want to put into their body.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 4:13pm
Kory wrote:
I hate being lectured about drugs by people who drink. I am a very moderate drug user (about 5 joints a week) but I think it's up to the individual what they want to put into their body.
Agreed. Each to their own poison. I don't take any drugs like when I was younger and yet due to my age I'm on more drugs (prescibed) thn when I was younger.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Reminds me of this tune:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
We do have a right to be self-destructive. Whether that is ethical behaviour is something else.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 5:24pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
We do have a right to be self-destructive. Whether that is ethical behaviour is something else.
Hello,

There's not a clear line between drug use and drug abuse. Some use, some abuse, and some drift from one to the other.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 5:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Hello,

There's not a clear line between drug use and drug abuse. Some use, some abuse, and some drift from one to the other.
Right. I was just riffing off of Heston's comment that we can put into our body whatever we want. We can also put in more lethal amounts if we want, tho we night have a social responsibility not to.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Aeneas wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 8:42am
Marky Dread wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 4:34pm
Low Down Low wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 4:22pm
Drugs' raids were a common enough feature in UK cities back then, particularly in the high rises. I'm sure Joe witnessed one or two in his time. I witnessed one myself in London in the late 80s and it was indeed "raining" drugs as all manner of packages were thrown out windows as the cop cars screeched to a halt outside. Apart from the obvious dramatisation of the murders, those lines are pretty evocative for me anyway.
Yep still a regular ocurrence in the flats right behind my home.
Could be Strummer was trying to show in this lyric just how clumsy
these raids were, not intended to catch anyone, certainly not
a drug kingpin -- the screech of the tires, the clumsy, noisy
"clumping up the stairs" by officers, trademark "black shoes"
from the police uniform store -- nothing stealthy about these raids at all.
Police seemed to going out of their way to give advance notice
of their presence.
Just 'show raids' for appearances, to make citizens think their police tax
dollars/pounds were going to good use.
You are over thinking this. As I said previously when Joe lived at 101 Walterton Road and the swuats in Chippenham Road they would have had regular visits from the local Police who were doing as much for their own enjoyment and to break the boredom of an shift as anything else.
If you want to use the song as the example (as you did). Joe is talking about uniform Police officers not the drug squad, not undercover officers on Surveilance operations.
Local uniform Police would not be targeting drug king pins they would be doing hit and miss raids to scoop up anyone who gets caught in the net for any reason.
The Police also had the power to search the home address of any person arrested for a crime therefore if the local uniform arrested someone for possession (under SUS law Markey mentioned) half the station would go on the raid of their home. Again unorganised non professional and for no real intent.
Don't confuse this with the 'war in drugs' or drug squad operations they are two different things.

Aeneas
Dirty Punk

Post by Aeneas »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 6:27pm
Aeneas wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Drugs' raids were a common enough feature in UK cities back then, particularly in the high rises. I'm sure Joe witnessed one or two in his time. I witnessed one myself in London in the late 80s and it was indeed "raining" drugs as all manner of packages were thrown out windows as the cop cars screeched to a halt outside. Apart from the obvious dramatisation of the murders, those lines are pretty evocative for me anyway.
of their presence.
You are over thinking this. As I said previously when Joe lived at 101 Walterton Road and the swuats in Chippenham Road they would have had regular visits from the local Police who were doing as much for their own enjoyment and to break the boredom of an shift as anything else.
If you want to use the song as the example (as you did). Joe is talking about uniform Police officers not the drug squad, not undercover officers on Surveilance operations.
Local uniform Police would not be targeting drug king pins they would be doing hit and miss raids to scoop up anyone who gets caught in the net for any reason.
The Police also had the power to search the home address of any person arrested for a crime therefore if the local uniform arrested someone for possession (under SUS law Markey mentioned) half the station would go on the raid of their home. Again unorganised non professional and for no real intent.
Don't confuse this with the 'war in drugs' or drug squad operations they are two different things.
So Julie was doing real work, for the drug squad, after all ?
Now, was Julie a police undercover employee, or just a low level drug user who was turned against
her same-level friends, none of whom was a drug kingpin or even mid-level drug operative ?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 6:13pm
gkbill wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 5:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Hello,

Right. I was just riffing off of Heston's comment that we can put into our body whatever we want. We can also put in more lethal amounts if we want, tho we night have a social responsibility not to.
You mean in the sense of the effect on those close to us?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 8:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I was just riffing off of Heston's comment that we can put into our body whatever we want. We can also put in more lethal amounts if we want, tho we night have a social responsibility not to.
Partly, but, more abstractly, in terms of how we might fit in our community and the impacts of our private behaviours. I'm certainly not absolutist about this, but I've been wondering more about that type of social responsibility. It's easy to say that I am an individual and what I do is my business, but, if you're a person on the left, isn't that attitude part of what we abhor about the right, that righteous selfishness? Not all situations and behaviours are equal, of course, but it is, nevertheless, a question I return to more and more, about types of social responsibility and private conduct.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 8:36pm
Kory wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 8:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I was just riffing off of Heston's comment that we can put into our body whatever we want. We can also put in more lethal amounts if we want, tho we night have a social responsibility not to.
Partly, but, more abstractly, in terms of how we might fit in our community and the impacts of our private behaviours. I'm certainly not absolutist about this, but I've been wondering more about that type of social responsibility. It's easy to say that I am an individual and what I do is my business, but, if you're a person on the left, isn't that attitude part of what we abhor about the right, that righteous selfishness? Not all situations and behaviours are equal, of course, but it is, nevertheless, a question I return to more and more, about types of social responsibility and private conduct.
You have a right to do to your body as you wish. However you have a responsibility as how your indulgent behaviour impacts on others. Be it you passing on drugs to others or your abuse clogging up the health system. Your selfish behaviour causing work for doctors and nurses when they could be saving someone who is I'll through no fault of their own. Remember it's your choice what you put in your body and how you chose to abuse it. I have no time for junkies who complain they are sick from drug taking. You chose to stick a needle in your arm knowing full well what the consequences could be.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Aeneas wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 8:18pm
101Walterton wrote:
Aeneas wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
of their presence.
Now, was Julie a police undercover employee, or just a low level drug user who was turned against
her same-level friends, none of whom was a drug kingpin or even mid-level drug operative ?
The real Julie was a Met Police constable (just read about in the last few months). Her name was actually Julie, and a nice looking gal she was.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 8:50pm
Aeneas wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Aeneas wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

of their presence.
The real Julie was a Met Police constable (just read about in the last few months). Her name was actually Julie, and a nice looking gal she was.
Police Sergeant Julie Taylor was from the Wiltshire Constabulary not the Met mate.

https://www.worldwidehippies.com/amazin ... ied-world/

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Aeneas
Dirty Punk

Post by Aeneas »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 9:16pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 8:50pm
Aeneas wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Aeneas wrote:

of their presence.
Police Sergeant Julie Taylor was from the Wiltshire Constabulary not the Met mate.

https://www.worldwidehippies.com/amazin ... ied-world/
Well done Julie.
The report I read said Operation Julie caused the price of a dose of LSD rose
from 1-pound sterling to 5 pound-sterling (no pound key on this keyboard).
That is progress, but should have been immediately followed up by going out and making straw buys
at the higher price, grabbing up those low level dealers and finding where the remaining LSD
source was located.

Somehow, I doubt that that mopping up of street drug availability occurred.
If that mopping up does not occur, all that has happened is that
the drug kingpin dealer who remains has become richer and
will have more money to pay off narcotics officers and
will be more zealously protected by those officers.
Police actions on drugs must be judged by progress toward
the complete eradication of drugs from the street, or lack thereof.

Interestingly, all of the painstaking surveillance work which Julie Taylor
and others performed to bring down that LSD ring in 1976,
would now be performed by high resolution cameras on almost all UK streets,
and other streets with no pre-positioned cameras would be surveilled by
modern drones.

In addition, the 13 months of surveillance in Operation Julie
was much too long. 2 to 3 months tops for any such investigation.
The target is the drug kingpin and his direct associates.
The 87 homes they swooped in on in 1976 after 13 months,
probably 90% were fringe players in drug procurement and dealing.

Narcotics-assigned police have an Easy job.
It is a disgrace that so many people praise police when such a massive part of
their assignment by society has failed.
Police should be roundly condemned while drugs remain on the streets.