The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Kory »

muppet hi fi wrote:Observation: they really should have put the song-only version of "Listen" on 'Sound System'. The original interview track is fun to hear once or twice, but it gets old. And it's such a fun little track it merited its own remaster (the original is pretty lo-fi musically).
Piggybacked observation: I can't see with a box this size why they couldn't have just included everything.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:Observation: they really should have put the song-only version of "Listen" on 'Sound System'. The original interview track is fun to hear once or twice, but it gets old. And it's such a fun little track it merited its own remaster (the original is pretty lo-fi musically).
My remaster not good enough for you! pfffttttt!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
My remaster not good enough for you! pfffttttt!
I haven't heard yours, but I'm sure it's better than they would have done!
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kory wrote:
Piggybacked observation: I can't see with a box this size why they couldn't have just included everything.
Absolutely, and how it was promoted as having "everything" was maddening. All those junk do-dads and a book with blank pages and the stupid "users manual" were a waste. There was plenty of room for everything, and probably more. And yeah, I love the box and the remastering is fabulous, but it was a wasted opportunity to tie up loose ends, especially if this is, as Mick has said, the final Clash release.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Mick and Paul curated Sound System It wasn't meant to be every dog end. It was their statement. They were even pressured to put a couple of bits on that they might not have chosen.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:Mick and Paul curated Sound System It wasn't meant to be every dog end. It was their statement. They were even pressured to put a couple of bits on that they might not have chosen.
I think it's great they were involved at all. However their "statement" had long since been made. I seriously wish that bands would do polls for the fans that have stuck with them down the years to gage what their audience truly wants. After all SS will not appel to some casual buyer at the price and amount of (great) product within. Let's face it for such a big box there is not a lot we didn't already own a few times over. If SS was the only Clash thing I owned it would be stunning but I only bought it for stuff like the awesome Sean Flynn Marcus version. It should've had the full Rat Patrol album included especially if Mick is saying this is the last Clash product.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:Mick and Paul curated Sound System It wasn't meant to be every dog end. It was their statement. They were even pressured to put a couple of bits on that they might not have chosen.
Which is totally understandable, but it seems weird that the entirety of SBMC wasn't in the box.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

I didn't get the SS box
Too expensive for something i already have
The only thing on the listing made me sweat a bit is the M7 video version from the Bond's shows
But i'd never had the chance to to take a look to it yet

I'll may be buy the restored sandinista LP one of this days (it's a pretty damn good update)
but it's not sure trought i already have twice the previous version...

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

The recounting of Joe trying to join a ping-pong club and being rejected is still one of the funniest lyrics ever.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:The recounting of Joe trying to join a ping-pong club and being rejected is still one of the funniest lyrics ever.
He wasn't rejected the club was just full. At least that's what the sign on the door said.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:The recounting of Joe trying to join a ping-pong club and being rejected is still one of the funniest lyrics ever.
He wasn't rejected the club was just full. At least that's what the sign on the door said.
That's still a rejection.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
OK, but how was he rejected if he never got inside to ask about membership in the first place. He was just too late that day and he should of got out of bed earlier. Anyway I don't believe he wanted to play table tennis. I think Joe was more of a badminton kind of guy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
OK, but how was he rejected if he never got inside to ask about membership in the first place. He was just too late that day and he should of got out of bed earlier. Anyway I don't believe he wanted to play table tennis. I think Joe was more of a badminton kind of guy.
"Shuttlecock Strummer," they called him.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
"Shuttlecock Strummer," they called him.
:mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
Absolutely, and how it was promoted as having "everything" was maddening. All those junk do-dads and a book with blank pages and the stupid "users manual" were a waste. There was plenty of room for everything, and probably more. And yeah, I love the box and the remastering is fabulous, but it was a wasted opportunity to tie up loose ends, especially if this is, as Mick has said, the final Clash release.
Their idea of "everything" is on the box. Their curation. Paul and Mick. They weren't really planning to put the two Rat Patrol outtakes on there but there was pressure from the record company and fans. Note how the live stuff from the Lyceum is only what they had mixed earlier, and not a remixed Live at the Lyceum album. As for the "doo-dads" and the like, that was as important to them to the box as the music. That's was Paul's work. It's their musical and artwork autobiography.