The Clash 2 Observations Thread

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Clash 2 Observations Thread

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:How long until the next "Eet Week?"

I'm getting impatient already, the simultaneous CtC playback/chat was one of my favourite moments on here ever.
It's in June I think. Although bound to be less fun, I mentioned to Flex the idea of a live chat for the 1984-12-06 show which is a fascinating show in that it jarringly alternates between excellent and god awful and has tons of Clash 2 tunes.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:

I'm getting impatient already, the simultaneous CtC playback/chat was one of my favourite moments on here ever.
It's in June I think. Although bound to be less fun, I mentioned to Flex the idea of a live chat for the 1984-12-06 show which is a fascinating show in that it jarringly alternates between excellent and god awful and has tons of Clash 2 tunes.
Nice idea, I'll start sharpening my knife.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:

Well, Black Flag Week is June 4-10 this year, if we're trying to schedule.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:

That should be when Eet Week is based on the first two. Black Flag week was after Eet Week right?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:

That should be when Eet Week is based on the first two. Black Flag week was after Eet Week right?
Sorry, dude. Flag Week II has been scheduled for almost a year.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

When is Rush (AKA Clash IX) Week?

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

BostonBeaneater wrote:When is Rush (AKA Clash IX) Week?

The 28th-35th of Smarch.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Observation: the magic of lowered expectations can raise Cut The Crap a notch in the era's canon.

[youtube][/youtube][youtube][/youtube]

Thank you, Johnny. :yuck:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Rat Patrol wrote:Observation: the magic of lowered expectations can raise Cut The Crap a notch in the era's canon.

[youtube][/youtube][youtube][/youtube]

PiL by numbers for the numbers.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Marky Dread wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:Observation: the magic of lowered expectations can raise Cut The Crap a notch in the era's canon.

It even works in intra-PiL eras. The '84-85 lineup in the Anarchy Movie makes the Holiday Inn band in the Rockpalast show sound like First Issue. They should've played the Roskilde Festival so Atkins could challenge Paul to a dance-off.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

It even works in intra-PiL eras. The '84-85 lineup in the Anarchy Movie makes the Holiday Inn band in the Rockpalast show sound like First Issue. They should've played the Roskilde Festival so Atkins could challenge Paul to a dance-off.
I've warmed somewhat to This Is What You Want—side two isn't that bad. But that Tokyo album, plus the well-circulated Rockpalast boot from the same tour, are proof positive that Johnny *needs* someone to channel and inspire him. Left to his own devices, he goes the laziest, sloppiest route possible.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I've warmed somewhat to This Is What You Want—side two isn't that bad. But that Tokyo album, plus the well-circulated Rockpalast boot from the same tour, are proof positive that Johnny *needs* someone to channel and inspire him. Left to his own devices, he goes the laziest, sloppiest route possible.
I'm so layzeeeeeeeeeeeeee I can't even be bothered. Honest as ever. :shifty:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah, turns out it wasn't just rhetoric.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
Marky Dread wrote: PiL by numbers for the numbers.
Yeah, turns out it wasn't just rhetoric.
True for sure. All those albums with only 8 tracks on them when they might have made reasonable EP's.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Safe European Home
Junco Partner

Post by Safe European Home »