SOUNDBOARD UPGRADE BRIXTON 30 JULY 1982

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: SOUNDBOARD UPGRADE BRIXTON 30 JULY 1982

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
101Walterton wrote:LC was the best 101ers album.

[youtube][/youtube]

Tell me the truth, though- wouldn't it be a million times better if all the guitars sounded like this on the whole record? The Clash's real sound - flamethrowing guitars drenched in reverb and layers of distortion- kicks the living shit out of any of the studio-created substitutes.
I think the recorded versions of LC and TiV are perfect. I like records to sound like records and live to sound like live.
I'm happy in both camps.
As an example, I love the Jaap Edenhall version of Somebody Got Murdered, but also love the ethereal sound of the studio recording.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

No version of London Calling is better than the studio version. Live LC wasn't even that good, mainly because of Joe's tendency of screwing the lyrics up right from the start.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Chuck Mangione wrote:No version of London Calling is better than the studio version. Live LC wasn't even that good, mainly because of Joe's tendency of screwing the lyrics up right from the start.
I don't know that intro can send shivers down your spine.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

The crowd did love that intro. And a great set opener.

But still, studio version.. bar none.
Last edited by Chuck Mangione on 08 Apr 2013, 8:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Chuck Mangione wrote:No version of London Calling is better than the studio version. Live LC wasn't even that good, mainly because of Joe's tendency of screwing the lyrics up right from the start.
Studio LC is a battlefield of slashing guitars and brooding bass. Add the always interesting drum beat and what's not to like? One of the greatest recordings ever made for me, certainly one of the Clash's finest.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
Studio LC is a battlefield of slashing guitars and brooding bass. Add the always interesting drum beat and what's not to like? One of the greatest recordings ever made for me, certainly one of the Clash's finest.
The studio is perfect however live can still be brilliant.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Ahem:

Can't it be both?

Binary thinking will kill us all.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:Ahem:

Can't it be both?

Binary thinking will kill us all.
This is the Clash. Manichean thinking dominates and destroys pussy ploys of simple enjoyment.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
The studio is perfect however live can still be brilliant.
Totally. As Chuck pointed out though, it was often let down by Joe's lyrical confusion. And he sang it better in the studio than he ever did live. The nuance and passion he puts into the recorded vocal makes a two-note vocal melody sound enthralling.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Live can be a great as the studio version but it can never surpass it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Chuck Mangione wrote:Live can be a great as the studio version but it can never surpass it.
I don't agree there are a ton of tracks that sound far better than their recorded counterparts.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

I wouldn't mind all of the pub rock Clash and Blockhead Clash and pseudo-Police Clash if that stuff was consigned to the bootleg ghetto, not the other way around. The problem is that you were cheated out of real Clash in favor of soft-rock Clash because they were trying to be sell a lot of records in America. And there isn't one single song on those three albums that wouldn't be infinitely greater had it been played with the same energy and commitment of Cost of Living. Not a one.

That's the problem- they were lying about who they were because of greed and ambition, not because they were fighting to free the proletarian class from oppression. Those are fake records because they don't record the way the band played in any real-world setting.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

IkarisOne wrote:I wouldn't mind all of the pub rock Clash and Blockhead Clash and pseudo-Police Clash if that stuff was consigned to the bootleg ghetto, not the other way around. The problem is that you were cheated out of real Clash in favor of soft-rock Clash because they were trying to be sell a lot of records in America. And there isn't one single song on those three albums that wouldn't be infinitely greater had it been played with the same energy and commitment of Cost of Living. Not a one.

That's the problem- they were lying about who they were because of greed and ambition, not because they were fighting to free the proletarian class from oppression. Those are fake records because they don't record the way the band played in any real-world setting.
POMB

Heston

Post by Heston »

Couldn't complain about any of the LC album production-wise, but I prefer the Rock Band mix personally. The guitars, bass and keys are all louder. I keep meaning to edit out those annoying count-ins but never get around to it.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Marky Dread wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:Live can be a great as the studio version but it can never surpass it.
I don't agree there are a ton of tracks that sound far better than their recorded counterparts.
"Live LC can be as great" that should have read.