Clash II Book Coming Soon...Summer 2013

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Re: Clash II Book Coming Soon...Summer 2013

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:I cannot think of a topic that interests me less than New vs. Last.
How about whether Koka Kola has been "fixed" or not?
Last Coke is better than new Coke.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Heston wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:Well, Kosmo says in the LC doc that the original title was "The Last Testament" and explains why: "the last rock 'n' roll record."

[youtube][/youtube]
All I ever heard it called for years was "The New Testament", but it could well have had both titles. Maybe Teddy could straighten it up?
Calling TeddyB...
I also understanding this influenced the Manic Street Preachers in calling their third album "The Holy Bible".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:I cannot think of a topic that interests me less than New vs. Last.
How about whether Koka Kola has been "fixed" or not?
Last Coke is better than new Coke.
On this you are the winner. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Inder wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Kaleb wrote:James should get some sort of award for those posts. Like, he should be able to read peoples' PMs for a day or delete threads with impunity or something.
:lol:
I award Maj one cheap kitchen and matching sequin hobo handbag.
:lol:
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
biopunk wrote:While I'm getting answers to my questions, does anyone know if Fifth Column ceased to be the printer for the bands shirts and badges before 1984 and the Out Of Control stuff came out?
Fifth Column never made the badges. Better Badges (Joly) did.
Ack! Right... I even had a couple from Better Badges...

So where was the post '83 official Clash clobber coming from? Was the Clash merch all from NYC, via old ads in Trouser Press?
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

biopunk wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
biopunk wrote:While I'm getting answers to my questions, does anyone know if Fifth Column ceased to be the printer for the bands shirts and badges before 1984 and the Out Of Control stuff came out?

So where was the post '83 official Clash clobber coming from? Was the Clash merch all from NYC, via old ads in Trouser Press?
Bernie sold them at car-boot fairs.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of the singles artwork, but I don't get why, if you're in a band that tours a lot and has loads of "artistic types" as friends, wouldn't put some more effort into your album covers, like make them legible or recognizable, and actually show your faces when it's your time to shine.
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
biopunk wrote:
Low point was Combat Rock for creativity, and it definitely improved for the Out of Control and after stuff, so I'd like to know what just Jules Balme's input was, versus Eddie King's efforts. (Colour choices versus sharpness & legibility, would be my guess...) It looked so different to me.
"Low point was Combat Rock for creativity"? Really? I disagree.

Eddie King designed the KYR logo.

The non-sensical irony of writing the "unwritten", plus the dodgy page count in the bible art, a stenciled logo, all on top of another blurry photo; really does nothing for me, except tell me "This Is The Clash".
Marky Dread wrote:
The Straight to Hell sleeve is a classic. I think Bio is just referring to the album shot of the group.

Yeah, that squatting-on-the-tracks really captures the whole feel of Combat Rock for me. ;)

I mean, the stenciled logo is used on all the singles (...that's some continuity, that's good!)
And it is the first time we get to actualy distinguish who-is-who with some certainty, not like the piddly little photos on the London Calling or the dress-up ones on the Sandinista! sleeve, so that's another good thing.
It had the lyrics, rather illegible, but they were in there.
No Armagideon Times, which I'd think would've been a sensible thing to include with this, but I can't say it is bottom of the barrel.
(Sandinista! gets that honour.)

Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:If we're just talking album covers, the Clash fell apart after London Calling.
Not really fair for Sandinista! as it was a rushed sleeve and a way to keeping the album at an affordable price.

I would have said that Sandinista! begged for release in a gate-fold sleeve, but then I remembered it was a friggin' TRIPLE ALBUM FOR GUYS WHO HAD BEEN DRILLING OIL ON RIGS IN THE NORTH SEA FOR MONTHS... :angry:

Really, I just look at the Combat Rock artwork and think "this hasn't held up well". If it was made today, it would look little better than clip-art.

To me, the Cut The Crap is way more interesting because it has all the little details and bits of other, semi-familiar things in it.
The same photo on the back cover and inner-sleeve is disappointing. Especially because it ain't one of those "spot-the-difference" puzzles... :disshame:
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

biopunk wrote: To me, the Cut The Crap is way more interesting because it has all the little details and bits of other, semi-familiar things in it.
The same photo on the back cover and inner-sleeve is disappointing. Especially because it ain't one of those "spot-the-difference" puzzles... :disshame:
There're two different versions of the back cover photo for some reason: This one and this one.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
biopunk wrote: To me, the Cut The Crap is way more interesting because it has all the little details and bits of other, semi-familiar things in it.
There're two different versions of the back cover photo for some reason: This one and this one.
First one is the vinyl album (original) second one is the reissued CD. There were two variants on the front sleeve if memory serves one where Cut the Crap is in yellow the other red.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

biopunk wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:

Well, one of my Out Of Control tour t-shirts reads "©1984 ERROLLMAGIC, LTD." I couldn't find any helpful info about Errollmagic or Erroll Magic via a half-arsed Google search. I think Fifth Column printed Clash t-shirts at least up 'til '82.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

The '84 shirt designs are amazing. I've got a repro of Jive after Five somewhere.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

biopunk wrote:The non-sensical irony of writing the "unwritten", plus the dodgy page count in the bible art, a stenciled logo, all on top of another blurry photo; really does nothing for me, except tell me "This Is The Clash".
I really dig the Stencil font. It reflects the title "Combat Rock." Makes me think of the TV show M*A*S*H logo in Stencil (the TV credits font was actually a stencilized version of Cooper Black). I also like Futura's artwork inside and Mick's handwriting for the lyrics.
biopunk wrote:To me, the Cut The Crap is way more interesting because it has all the little details and bits of other, semi-familiar things in it.
I find the CTC album cover to be too cluttered. I suppose that (unintentionally) reflects the music, particularly the opening track, "Dictator." Plus, I prefer seeing a photo of The Clash on the front cover.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Inder wrote:The '84 shirt designs are amazing. I've got a repro of Jive after Five somewhere.
Didn't I help you w/ that, Inder? Repro from Japan.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Inder wrote:The '84 shirt designs are amazing. I've got a repro of Jive after Five somewhere.
Didn't I help you w/ that, Inder? Repro from Japan.
I think Tripper very kindly picked it up and shipped it as the site didn't service North America.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I thought we weren't allowed to enjoy anything any more?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board