Clash II Book Coming Soon...Summer 2013

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Clash II Book Coming Soon...Summer 2013

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Inder wrote:The '84 shirt designs are amazing. I've got a repro of Jive after Five somewhere.
I thought we weren't allowed to enjoy anything any more?
Why not?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Inder wrote:The '84 shirt designs are amazing. I've got a repro of Jive after Five somewhere.
Didn't I help you w/ that, Inder? Repro from Japan.
I want one are they still available anywhere or should I hire a contract killer to take Inder out?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Inder wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
I think Tripper very kindly picked it up and shipped it as the site didn't service North America.
I remember you PMing me on SNews asking about the shirt, and I mentioned 666's repro version to you. I miss Tripper.

BTW, 666 now ships internationally, but doesn't do the "Jive After Five" t-shirt anymore.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Inder wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
I think Tripper very kindly picked it up and shipped it as the site didn't service North America.
I remember you PMing me on SNews asking about the shirt, and I mentioned 666's repro version to you. I miss Tripper.

BTW, 666 now ships internationally, but doesn't do the "Jive After Five" t-shirt anymore.
:disshame:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Marky Dread wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
I want one are they still available anywhere or should I hire a contract killer to take Inder out?
That was long ago, circa 2004? I have a couple original ones that are long sleeve and have the star on one shoulder.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
That was long ago, circa 2004? I have a couple original ones that are long sleeve and have the star on one shoulder.
Cool design as Inder said.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Marky Dread wrote:
Inder wrote:
biopunk wrote: To me, the Cut The Crap is way more interesting because it has all the little details and bits of other, semi-familiar things in it.
The same photo on the back cover and inner-sleeve is disappointing. Especially because it ain't one of those "spot-the-difference" puzzles... :disshame:

There're two different versions of the back cover photo for some reason: This one and this one.
First one is the vinyl album (original) second one is the reissued CD. There were two variants on the front sleeve if memory serves one where Cut the Crap is in yellow the other red.
I mean the back cover of the CtC LP, and the inner sleeve, both have the same photo on it, although the sleeve photo is in black and white...

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
biopunk wrote:The non-sensical irony of writing the "unwritten", plus the dodgy page count in the bible art, a stenciled logo, all on top of another blurry photo; really does nothing for me, except tell me "This Is The Clash".
I really dig the Stencil font. It reflects the title "Combat Rock." Makes me think of the TV show M*A*S*H logo in Stencil (the TV credits font was actually a stencilized version of Cooper Black). I also like Futura's artwork inside and Mick's handwriting for the lyrics.
biopunk wrote:To me, the Cut The Crap is way more interesting because it has all the little details and bits of other, semi-familiar things in it.
I find the CTC album cover to be too cluttered. I suppose that (unintentionally) reflects the music, particularly the opening track, "Dictator." Plus, I prefer seeing a photo of The Clash on the front cover.
It is too cluttered. One big anarchic mess!

I don't mind the stenciled logo, it made it easy for us to make our own authentic looking Clash shirts. (sleeves optional)

I do think there was a serious production/art direction problem with the CtC cover artwork itself, it's like no one really considered that cassettes were actually a popular medium for listening to music at the time, and planned accordingly.

Look at the size of the poster proper in comparison to the corrigated panel: The logo in the artwork disappears, so it looks like the stenciled CR logo was added afterwards. But, after the artwork is sized down for the cassettes, you can't legibly see that little CR Clash logo at the top anymore, so you need to add another. Made for some interesting variants out there.

Marky, where is that photo of all the formats? I couldn't find it anywhere!

Funnily enough BR16ADE_R055E, I actually do still have a M*A*S*H t-shirt from back then...
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

biopunk wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Inder wrote:
biopunk wrote: To me, the Cut The Crap is way more interesting because it has all the little details and bits of other, semi-familiar things in it.
The same photo on the back cover and inner-sleeve is disappointing. Especially because it ain't one of those "spot-the-difference" puzzles... :disshame:

There're two different versions of the back cover photo for some reason: This one and this one.
First one is the vinyl album (original) second one is the reissued CD. There were two variants on the front sleeve if memory serves one where Cut the Crap is in yellow the other red.
I mean the back cover of the CtC LP, and the inner sleeve, both have the same photo on it, although the sleeve photo is in black and white...

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
biopunk wrote:The non-sensical irony of writing the "unwritten", plus the dodgy page count in the bible art, a stenciled logo, all on top of another blurry photo; really does nothing for me, except tell me "This Is The Clash".
I really dig the Stencil font. It reflects the title "Combat Rock." Makes me think of the TV show M*A*S*H logo in Stencil (the TV credits font was actually a stencilized version of Cooper Black). I also like Futura's artwork inside and Mick's handwriting for the lyrics.
biopunk wrote:To me, the Cut The Crap is way more interesting because it has all the little details and bits of other, semi-familiar things in it.
I find the CTC album cover to be too cluttered. I suppose that (unintentionally) reflects the music, particularly the opening track, "Dictator." Plus, I prefer seeing a photo of The Clash on the front cover.
It is too cluttered. One big anarchic mess!

I don't mind the stenciled logo, it made it easy for us to make our own authentic looking Clash shirts. (sleeves optional)

I do think there was a serious production/art direction problem with the CtC cover artwork itself, it's like no one really considered that cassettes were actually a popular medium for listening to music at the time, and planned accordingly.

Look at the size of the poster proper in comparison to the corrigated panel: The logo in the artwork disappears, so it looks like the stenciled CR logo was added afterwards. But, after the artwork is sized down for the cassettes, you can't legibly see that little CR Clash logo at the top anymore, so you need to add another. Made for some interesting variants out there.

Marky, where is that photo of all the formats? I couldn't find it anywhere!

Here's the yellow/orange version.

...and the more common red version.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

The one with all the cassettes, and maybe an 8-track, was what I was thinking of.
I'm sure you posted it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

biopunk wrote:The one with all the cassettes, and maybe an 8-track, was what I was thinking of.
I'm sure you posted it.
No not I.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
biopunk wrote:The one with all the cassettes, and maybe an 8-track, was what I was thinking of.
I'm sure you posted it.
No not I.
'Twas Rat Patrol.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I'm sure you posted it.
No not I.
'Twas Rat Patrol.
Thought that rung a bell.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Damn. Could have sworn it was you.

Thanks Heston!
Last edited by biopunk on 20 Jun 2013, 7:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Marky Dread wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Cool design as Inder said.
Indeed. Better than the CTC artwork.