A must for anyone interested in the BAD II era

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 28006
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

A must for anyone interested in the BAD II era

Post by Heston » 22 Jun 2018, 2:53pm

Bazarboy has put up a great show dedicated to BAD II on Mixcloud, featuring an extensive interview with Andre Shapps.

Andre sheds a lot of light on the beginnings of BAD II and goes into a bit of depth about the creation of those sample-heavy albums. It was good to hear a few songs I've never heard for a long time too. Here's the link to part one, I'll post up the second part when it lands...

I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

oliver
Junco Partner
Posts: 321
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 11:55am

Re: A must for anyone interested in the BAD II era

Post by oliver » 22 Jun 2018, 4:52pm

Nice... interesting stuff.

Regarding Higher Power, am I the only one who has no idea what an engineer actually does?
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 77338
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: A must for anyone interested in the BAD II era

Post by Dr. Medulla » 22 Jun 2018, 5:27pm

oliver wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 4:52pm
Regarding Higher Power, am I the only one who has no idea what an engineer actually does?
I recall reading a semi-famous essay/rant by Steve Albini, who said that because few producers have actual knowledge of recording, the real production work—the nuts and bolts of it—is done by the engineer. Producers now are more conceptual figures, idea people and sparring partners with the bands. But actually working the board and miking things up properly now is the engineer's job.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

oliver
Junco Partner
Posts: 321
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 11:55am

Re: A must for anyone interested in the BAD II era

Post by oliver » 22 Jun 2018, 6:37pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 5:27pm
oliver wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 4:52pm
Regarding Higher Power, am I the only one who has no idea what an engineer actually does?
I recall reading a semi-famous essay/rant by Steve Albini, who said that because few producers have actual knowledge of recording, the real production work—the nuts and bolts of it—is done by the engineer. Producers now are more conceptual figures, idea people and sparring partners with the bands. But actually working the board and miking things up properly now is the engineer's job.
That makes sense. Thanks
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 28006
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: A must for anyone interested in the BAD II era

Post by Heston » 22 Jun 2018, 7:56pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 5:27pm
oliver wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 4:52pm
Regarding Higher Power, am I the only one who has no idea what an engineer actually does?
I recall reading a semi-famous essay/rant by Steve Albini, who said that because few producers have actual knowledge of recording, the real production work—the nuts and bolts of it—is done by the engineer. Producers now are more conceptual figures, idea people and sparring partners with the bands. But actually working the board and miking things up properly now is the engineer's job.
The Doc is correct. The engineer does the technical stuff, the producer decides what comes out the other end.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

MarkyJacobs
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 188
Joined: 30 Jan 2016, 7:41am

Re: A must for anyone interested in the BAD II era

Post by MarkyJacobs » 25 Jun 2018, 3:46pm

Reference to Esmark's site suggests they didn't tour quite as extensively as André remembers.
Last edited by MarkyJacobs on 25 Jun 2018, 7:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

TeddyB Not Logged In
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1604
Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 8:42pm

Re: A must for anyone interested in the BAD II era

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In » 25 Jun 2018, 5:31pm

They toured more extensively at times than Sony would have liked. BAD II kept touring the world with U2 when the record company wanted them back in the studio. I don't know if Esmark' site has everything, but they toured pretty much non-stop from Fall '91 until the end of '92, then more sporadically through '93 and '94, then heavily again in '95.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8940
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: A must for anyone interested in the BAD II era

Post by Kory » 26 Jun 2018, 12:54pm

oliver wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 6:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 5:27pm
oliver wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 4:52pm
Regarding Higher Power, am I the only one who has no idea what an engineer actually does?
I recall reading a semi-famous essay/rant by Steve Albini, who said that because few producers have actual knowledge of recording, the real production work—the nuts and bolts of it—is done by the engineer. Producers now are more conceptual figures, idea people and sparring partners with the bands. But actually working the board and miking things up properly now is the engineer's job.
That makes sense. Thanks
Yeah, the engineer's job title is a good description of what they do, while the producer is more like a guiding influence for the band, even to the point of arranging songs or suggesting changes to them, or being a cheerleader, Guy Stevens-style. Their relationship to the engineer is such that they may say that they want an EQ change on a track or an effect applied. They often know what sound they want, but don't have the technical skill to make it happen. The producer often mixes the album upon completion, but not always.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

MarkyJacobs
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 188
Joined: 30 Jan 2016, 7:41am

Re: A must for anyone interested in the BAD II era

Post by MarkyJacobs » 26 Jun 2018, 4:54pm

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 5:31pm
They toured more extensively at times than Sony would have liked. BAD II kept touring the world with U2 when the record company wanted them back in the studio. I don't know if Esmark' site has everything, but they toured pretty much non-stop from Fall '91 until the end of '92, then more sporadically through '93 and '94, then heavily again in '95.
Okay. Perhaps it was André''s family name that led me to doubt the credibility of his words. ;)

The line-up changed in 1995, didn't it?

TeddyB Not Logged In
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1604
Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 8:42pm

Re: A must for anyone interested in the BAD II era

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In » 26 Jun 2018, 8:12pm

MarkyJacobs wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 4:54pm
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 5:31pm
They toured more extensively at times than Sony would have liked. BAD II kept touring the world with U2 when the record company wanted them back in the studio. I don't know if Esmark' site has everything, but they toured pretty much non-stop from Fall '91 until the end of '92, then more sporadically through '93 and '94, then heavily again in '95.
Okay. Perhaps it was André''s family name that led me to doubt the credibility of his words. ;)

The line-up changed in 1995, didn't it?
Yes ;) ... and yes. in mid-'95. But Andre was still there...

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 28006
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: A must for anyone interested in the BAD II era

Post by Heston » 01 Jul 2018, 12:19pm

Part 2 here...

I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

MarkyJacobs
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 188
Joined: 30 Jan 2016, 7:41am

Re: A must for anyone interested in the BAD II era

Post by MarkyJacobs » 02 Jul 2018, 9:34am

Didn't Mick use the F Punk method with some success to record The Libertines?

MarkyJacobs
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 188
Joined: 30 Jan 2016, 7:41am

Re: A must for anyone interested in the BAD II era

Post by MarkyJacobs » 03 Jul 2018, 6:24am

Sorry, forgot to say thanks for this. How rude of me!

Thanks, Heston. Thanks, Bazarboy.

oliver
Junco Partner
Posts: 321
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 11:55am

Re: A must for anyone interested in the BAD II era

Post by oliver » 09 Jul 2018, 10:50am

Thanks... thoroughly enjoyed these.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Vimmattu
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 869
Joined: 28 Jun 2008, 3:04pm
Location: 2nd Avenue, Chicken Vindaloo

Re: A must for anyone interested in the BAD II era

Post by Vimmattu » 09 Jul 2018, 3:50pm

The show is fantastic. Thank you, Bazarboy! Very interesting interview with Andre and great tunes. Good to hear your brilliant remixes too, especially Spanish Bombs and 7 Years (thanks Heston!).
This made my day.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests