New Mick biog

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: New Mick biog

Post by Heston »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Heston wrote:Spotted a couple of mistakes/typos already. I would have proof read it for a free copy.
(Chris) "Salewitz" for one. Sloppy.
Another one: Megatop Phoenix is B.A.D.'s fourth, not third, album.
He also claims James Brown was the lead-off single from Megatop Phoenix in the UK, and its failure to chart was disappointing. It would have had a job charting as it was never released as a single in the UK. Contact was the only single released from Megatop over here.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Heston wrote:Spotted a couple of mistakes/typos already. I would have proof read it for a free copy.
He also claims James Brown was the lead-off single from Megatop Phoenix in the UK, and its failure to chart was disappointing. It would have had a job charting as it was never released as a single in the UK. Contact was the only single released from Megatop over here.
I remember buying the 12'' remix here. But I think it like a lot of Clash stuff it was pressed in Netherlands so it would've been via import only. It certainly had no UK official single release. I originally bought it because I wanted the track "If I Were John Carpenter" on the B-side.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Considering this is a book that is going to be read by die hard fans who are obviously going to notice errors, you would think they would make sure the facts are correct especially as they are so easily checked.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Considering this is a book that is going to be read by die hard fans who are obviously going to notice errors, you would think they would make sure the facts are correct especially as they are so easily checked.
Silly mistakes for sure but I'm still enjoying it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

ClashCityHammer.
Corner Soul

Post by ClashCityHammer. »

Did Mick start supporting QPR in the sixties like the book claims? I thought he started in the eighties. Certainly didn't go to Wembley in '82 because he was doing an interview in Portobello Road for NME with Joe,Bernie and Paul just after Joe's bunk.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

ClashCityHammer. wrote:Did Mick start supporting QPR in the sixties like the book claims? I thought he started in the eighties. Certainly didn't go to Wembley in '82 because he was doing an interview in Portobello Road for NME with Joe,Bernie and Paul just after Joe's bunk.
Think it's a case of school boy heroes then during the punk years being too busy with music and catching up in the latter years.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

This doesn't sound like I'll be springing out on it. I'd love Marcus Grey to write a history of Big Audio Dynamite, but that ain't happening.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:This doesn't sound like I'll be springing out on it. I'd love Marcus Grey to write a history of Big Audio Dynamite, but that ain't happening.
Most of this book seems to be a potted version of the Mick sections in LGiT.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:This doesn't sound like I'll be springing out on it. I'd love Marcus Grey to write a history of Big Audio Dynamite, but that ain't happening.
Did you expect it to be anything else at such a small book. Micks story needs a few more pages than 276.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Did you expect it to be anything else at such a small book. Micks story needs a few more pages than 276.
I didn't really have high hopes as I admitted earlier, but the writer has certainly had a copy of LGiT next to him as he wrote it.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
I didn't really have high hopes as I admitted earlier, but the writer has certainly had a copy of LGiT next to him as he wrote it.
The writer, based on his previous work, looks like a hack who writes what his publisher thinks will sell. I don't begrudge him, but there's a great book that could be written about Mick Jones. Punk, dance, hip hop scenes, the download culture.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
The writer, based on his previous work, looks like a hack who writes what his publisher thinks will sell. I don't begrudge him, but there's a great book that could be written about Mick Jones. Punk, dance, hip hop scenes, the download culture.
I'm glad he has made an effort to get a book about Mick out there at least. As to Mick O'shea's previous work I like his Pistols stuff and again better to have people like him making an effort than none at all.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Clashruss
Corner Soul

Post by Clashruss »

ClashCityHammer. wrote:Did Mick start supporting QPR in the sixties like the book claims? I thought he started in the eighties. Certainly didn't go to Wembley in '82 because he was doing an interview in Portobello Road for NME with Joe,Bernie and Paul just after Joe's bunk.
I think he did I remember Glenn Matlock saying that him and Mick were the only ones really into football back then and went to matches together and Mick was QPR.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

It must be really weird reading your own biography!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:It must be really weird reading your own biography!
I didn't know you had a book out.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia