BAD * 1989 -- LIVE

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
ALF
Dirty Punk

BAD * 1989 -- LIVE

Post by ALF »

Hi!
Here it's a video I've found of BAD playing Contact live ... Mick's look is... well, I've no words
https://youtu.be/LtR_d22M3zo

And another one: Baby don't apologise
https://youtu.be/JfyYz_QuRp4?list=LLjnS ... FpPQkCu32A

Enjoy

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: BAD * 1989 -- LIVE

Post by laxman »

Thanks very much. I don't remember seeing those before.

I'm not sure what is wrong with the look. Shorts and white socks are our national uniform!

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Why doesn't Mick play the Bond Electraglide anymore? Did they all break?
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

oliver wrote:Why doesn't Mick play the Bond Electraglide anymore? Did they all break?
There's no replacement parts if they do. It's got a 1983 computer motherboard in it that requires and electrical engineer with a soldering gun to fix if something goes wrong, and has a custom electrical transformer for powering said 1983 computer motherboard. There's still a lot of working Bonds around as collector's items, and a lot of non-working ones that get raided for parts to keep the working units operational. But 30 years after such a limited production run stopped they're not guitars anyone's going to feel comfortable using as a gig piece. Those ancient electronics are way too fragile to play outside the rehearsal room.

For whatever reason Andrew Bond has had zero interest in licensing the design for a new production run. You can totally shrink the 1983 motherboard onto a single microchip hardened against failure, ditch the heavy-ass transformer, and bring it down to a reasonable price point at 100% lookalike/workalike to the original. Somebody just has to convince Bond to agree to it. And so far he hasn't.

There was a guy who was trying to reverse-engineer the electronics so an exact replica could be produced using modern chips. He hasn't updated his blog in like 2 years with any progress report, though: http://bondelectraglide2.blogspot.com/2 ... odern.html.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Rat Patrol wrote:For whatever reason Andrew Bond has had zero interest in licensing the design for a new production run.
That might be because he died in 1999!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

daveddd111
Corner Soul

Post by daveddd111 »

Pfft....lazy!

I've got a working Electraglide if Mick ever needs to borrow it ;-)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

daveddd111 wrote:Pfft....lazy!

I've got a working Electraglide if Mick ever needs to borrow it ;-)
Mick's already seen Electra Glide in Blue and will not be needing to borrow your copy. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

rudebhoy
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by rudebhoy »

ALF wrote:Hi!
Here it's a video I've found of BAD playing Contact live ... Mick's look is... well, I've no words
https://youtu.be/LtR_d22M3zo

And another one: Baby don't apologise
https://youtu.be/JfyYz_QuRp4?list=LLjnS ... FpPQkCu32A

Enjoy
thought this was going to be the clip of Mick in a Celtic top!

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

What happened to Don on that video? Where is he?
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:For whatever reason Andrew Bond has had zero interest in licensing the design for a new production run.
I just got around to reading this and guffawed.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
I just got around to reading this and guffawed.
Bond's IP is still owned by some extant company or trust. There have been persistent efforts right up until to now to get the firmware released so the Electraglide can be put back into limited replica production, but it's been no dice on permission every time. I don't know if he was just embarrassed that it was such a sales flop or what, but that seems to be his wishes. People who've played it say it's damn near the best guitar for rhythm playing ever invented, and would kill just to have something less fragile for regular use rather than having to treat it like museum piece. So the demand's not just a "DeLorean of guitars" nostalgia/novelty thing. Supposedly it's a little limited for leads (I think Mick even admitted to that in some BAD-era guitar geek interview), but unprecedented feel on rhythm and a nice warm sound to boot.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

I used a Bond guitar for those 2 last tracks

I only used it (for now) as a home studio guitar
i played on some differents guitars before (Fender, Gibson, acoustic etc) but this one get me a bit of hard time at the beguining.
But after a while i really begin to appreciate it
Great feedback
very precise
very good tuning
and for the solo part yeah i see waht you mean and you surely must adapt your style to fit the guitar but it not impossible