"Over Vauxhall Bridge and via Pimlico..."

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Re: "Over Vauxhall Bridge and via Pimlico..."

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Inder wrote:
16 May 2017, 8:17pm

MJ is a multi-millionaire white rock star who lives in one of the most expensive parts of one of the most expensive cities in the world. If he said that, or something along those lines, then that's really disappointing.

'They don't mind throwing a brick,' ffs.
It's disappointing that he chose to educate his children privately.

I read this recently in a youth music mag, and it made me chuckle:

"The informed debate nowadays is not whether punk is dead; but whether it actually ever existed. Weren't The Sex Pistols just One Direction with bad teeth?"

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Inder wrote:
MarkyJacobs wrote:
16 May 2017, 11:05am
I heard a post-riots interview with Mick in which he said something like: "They had all that power, and all they wanted to do was rob Footlocker." He was, of course, spot on.
MJ is a multi-millionaire white rock star who lives in one of the most expensive parts of one of the most expensive cities in the world. If he said that, or something along those lines, then that's really disappointing.

Not sure I agree. MJ did his bit, it is no longer his fight to fight. Everyone is allowed to retire and enjoy the spoils of their own making.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
16 May 2017, 9:42pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 May 2017, 6:57pm
Lydon was but one member.
Yes, the voice.
Four members not one. Interesting you mention the Sex Pistols why not say Public Image. It's just Lydon and he represents just Lydon.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
MarkyJacobs wrote:
I heard a post-riots interview with Mick in which he said something like: "They had all that power, and all they wanted to do was rob Footlocker." He was, of course, spot on.

I'm not sure why mick being white is significant in this case. Both black and white youths in the riot. Plenty of poor white kids also. It wasn't a race riot it was about marginalization.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 May 2017, 10:53pm
Inder wrote:
MarkyJacobs wrote:

I'm not sure why mick being white is significant in this case. Both black and white youths in the riot. Plenty of poor white kids also. It wasn't a race riot it was about marginalization.
The point I'm making is that Mick is speaking from a particular social and economic context. His being white has everything to do with that context.
101Walterton wrote:
16 May 2017, 10:18pm
Not sure I agree. MJ did his bit, it is no longer his fight to fight. Everyone is allowed to retire and enjoy the spoils of their own making.
Fair enough.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Inder wrote:
MarkyJacobs wrote:

What? Inder! Mick isn't nearly so rich. He lives in a flat on a semi-dodgy block. His ex-missus lives in his old house. He remains very politically aware and firmly left. Yes, his kids were privately educated.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
16 May 2017, 11:59pm
Inder wrote:
MarkyJacobs wrote:

What? Inder! Mick isn't nearly so rich. He lives in a flat on a semi-dodgy block. His ex-missus lives in his old house. He remains very politically aware and firmly left. Yes, his kids were privately educated.
The finger-wagging tone of that quote (though I can equally imagine it was delivered with a wink) got me all riled up. I've heard so much bullshit about how the poors should riot politely from people who should probably know better.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I've no beef at all with Mick. He's always been a witty guy and that sounds just like one quote definitely said with more of a wink than disdain.

As for the riots, fuck footlocker. I remember some poor sap getting 6 months behind bars for robbing a bottle of fucking water. That got me seriously riled up at the time and still does.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
16 May 2017, 11:54pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 May 2017, 10:53pm
Inder wrote:
MarkyJacobs wrote:

The point I'm making is that Mick is speaking from a particular social and economic context. His being white has everything to do with that context.

Fair enough.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 May 2017, 10:35pm
MarkyJacobs wrote:
16 May 2017, 9:42pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 May 2017, 6:57pm
Lydon was but one member.
Yes, the voice.
Four members not one. Interesting you mention the Sex Pistols why not say Public Image. It's just Lydon and he represents just Lydon.
All guilty by association, I reckon.

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Low Down Low wrote:
17 May 2017, 12:24am

As for the riots, fuck footlocker. I remember some poor sap getting 6 months behind bars for robbing a bottle of fucking water. That got me seriously riled up at the time and still does.
Yes, fuck Footlocker. But 'I wantsome new Air Max' isn't really that strong a political message.

Race was an issue..

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Inder wrote:
17 May 2017, 12:03am
16 May 2017, 11:59pm
Inder wrote:
MarkyJacobs wrote:

The finger-wagging tone of that quote (though I can equally imagine it was delivered with a wink) got me all riled up. I've heard so much bullshit about how the poors should riot politely from people who should probably know better.

I think he meant he was more hopeful of real social and economic change, not that the protestors should have been polite. He talked politics on the phone today for well over an hour. He's not gone too soft.

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

17 May 2017, 5:04am
I think he meant he was more hopeful of real social and economic change, not that the protestors should have been polite.
Yep.

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Musicians publicly supporting Corbyn? Where are they?

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
17 May 2017, 9:44am
Musicians publicly supporting Corbyn? Where are they?
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 41466.html