Spot The Album

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
MarkyJacobs
Bang Ice Geezer

Re: Spot The Album

Post by MarkyJacobs » 04 Feb 2019, 6:21am

"The majority won"t bother."

That.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex » 19 Feb 2019, 3:53pm

matedog wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 12:23pm
That's a good counter point I hadn't considered.
Coincidinkally, here's an article about it: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2019020 ... ate-change

Thinking seems to be that regularly played stuff is better for the environment in physical media, sampling stuff is better streaming/digital.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog » 19 Feb 2019, 6:59pm

Flex wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 3:53pm
matedog wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 12:23pm
That's a good counter point I hadn't considered.
Coincidinkally, here's an article about it: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2019020 ... ate-change

Thinking seems to be that regularly played stuff is better for the environment in physical media, sampling stuff is better streaming/digital.
I need more info on their assumptions. This paragraph is confusing:
Once vinyl or a CD is purchased, it can be played over and over again, the only carbon cost coming from running the record player. However, if we listen to our streamed music using a hi-fi sound system it’s estimated to use 107 kilowatt hours of electricity a year, costing about £15.00 to run. A CD player uses 34.7 kilowatt hours a year and costs £5 to run.
Is the greater power usage the "hi-fi sound system" or the streaming? It seems to be comparing "hi-fi sound system + streaming" vs. "cd player + cd". That's not a helpful comparison unless I'm misunderstanding.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex » 19 Feb 2019, 7:02pm

matedog wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 6:59pm
Is the greater power usage the "hi-fi sound system" or the streaming? It seems to be comparing "hi-fi sound system + streaming" vs. "cd player + cd". That's not a helpful comparison unless I'm misunderstanding.

I thought it was related to the previous paragraph, which takes into account server and network routing energy costs.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!