Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Alternate versions of songs better than popular versions?

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kaleb wrote:
laxman wrote:And the Vanilla Tapes version of Remote Control.
I think we can all agree that version would be totally definitive if there was a more proper recording. Blows the original out of the water.
I don't get the fuss about the Vanilla version of Remote Control. It just sounds like a lazy jam with fucked up lyrics and solos.
I think it is just hearing a 'new' version gives it a novelty effect when the old version is so ingrained in you plus the sound is refreshing.
That's all it can be. The original version is brilliant.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I think the Vanilla Tapes is a good listen, with better drumming, I much prefer the s/t Remote Control. I love that song.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:I think the Vanilla Tapes is a good listen, with better drumming, I much prefer the s/t Remote Control. I love that song.
That's the thing, even the drumming doesn't strike me as being particularly better. I think Terry does a pretty good job on the original.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:I think the Vanilla Tapes is a good listen, with better drumming, I much prefer the s/t Remote Control. I love that song.
That's the thing, even the drumming doesn't strike me as being particularly better. I think Terry does a pretty good job on the original.
Knowleston.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

I must pull out the Leicester/Cardiff '77 boot - my favourite show - soon, because the whole first album sounds amazing. I can't remember if they played RC off the top of my head, but I bet it's near definitive.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:I must pull out the Leicester/Cardiff '77 boot - my favourite show - soon, because the whole first album sounds amazing. I can't remember if they played RC off the top of my head, but I bet it's near definitive.
They do, and it's great.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:I must pull out the Leicester/Cardiff '77 boot - my favourite show - soon, because the whole first album sounds amazing. I can't remember if they played RC off the top of my head, but I bet it's near definitive.
They do, and it's great.
The only thing I don't like about that boot and something prevents it from being upper echelon is that it doesn't have White Riot, Janie Jones, or Career Ops.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

The 2nd version of Robert Johnson's Love in Vain.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Knowleston.
Dr. Cheston Majority.

The original Remote Control is my favorite studio version. And I think the only song from the Vanilla Tapes sessions that beats the official version is Lover's Rock.

Listen to it again, you won't be let down.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

I don't understand Kaleb's comment of how he wonders what 'Remote Control' would have been like if it was on GEER. It was on the first album, and put out as a single as well. If that wasn't 'value for money' then doing a second version on the second album would have been even less so.

I don't see that the Vanilla version adds anything, it just shows they were confident running through the song again. No more, no less.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

dave202 wrote:I don't understand Kaleb's comment of how he wonders what 'Remote Control' would have been like if it was on GEER. It was on the first album, and put out as a single as well. If that wasn't 'value for money' then doing a second version on the second album would have been even less so.
Being both an American and a lunatic*, Kaleb prefers the sound of GEER to S/t, and would rather have Remote Control sound like the later album.

*a tautology.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
dave202 wrote:I don't understand Kaleb's comment of how he wonders what 'Remote Control' would have been like if it was on GEER. It was on the first album, and put out as a single as well. If that wasn't 'value for money' then doing a second version on the second album would have been even less so.
Being both an American and a lunatic*, Kaleb prefers the sound of GEER to S/t, and would rather have Remote Control sound like the later album.

*a tautology.
The Vanilla version does have a heavier feel to it, my personal taste for a Clash sound would be somewhere between ST and GEER. That said I think the single is brilliant but I reckon it's a shame the record company decided to dictate as it may have had a few live outings.

Try this :

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DOSWOKRR

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

The Peel session version of Gangsters by the Specials is now definitive for me.

The demo of Making Plans For Nigel is better than the released version too.

Dirty Harry
Junco Partner

Post by Dirty Harry »

Heston wrote:The Peel session version of Gangsters by the Specials is now definitive for me.

Agree The Specials Peel Sessions is quality stuff , Saying that just about every band I love seem to do sessions for John Peel that ended up being better than their recorded versions.
The Slits and The Fall being an example.
Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, "life" has surface noise."

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dirty Harry wrote:
Heston wrote:The Peel session version of Gangsters by the Specials is now definitive for me.

Agree The Specials Peel Sessions is quality stuff , Saying that just about every band I love seem to do sessions for John Peel that ended up being better than their recorded versions.
The Slits and The Fall being an example.
The Clash Peel session was rubbish.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia